LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Mr. Nice Guy
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering if anyone has the factory 18's in chrome ive been looking and looking for months now for wheels for my 06 goat and just not sure which way to go. thinking maybe factory 18's...anyone have them pics offcourse thanks

·
A.K.A. YtownGoat24u
767 Posts
i think rvolt has them done on his quicksilver...looks very nice

·
www.theangrygoat.com
417 Posts
Search for a place in TX

I forget the name

They do color chrome too..

ie: black/green/red etc..

black looks good :)

·
not fast enough
474 Posts
what about powder coat? would it be cheaper and or lighter?

·
Registered
703 Posts
powder coating is around $50.00 a wheel,there is a place in miami that will chrome the wheels for $200.00 a piece

·
Pissin' in the wind.
951 Posts
Stockton Wheel does this as well in Stockton, CA.

·
Not a winner?
7,438 Posts
Chef Ron said:
powder coating is around $50.00 a wheel,there is a place in miami that will chrome the wheels for $200.00 a piece
what are the options when it comes to powder coating?

·
Registered
467 Posts

These are of bmackenn's car from Alphaeden's photoshoot in Tampa. More pics in the multimedia section of his car. I think the chrome stock 18s look sweet.

·
LS2 PWR
588 Posts
Apfu said:

These are of bmackenn's car from Alphaeden's photoshoot in Tampa. More pics in the multimedia section of his car. I think the chrome stock 18s look sweet.

Oh Man THATS LOOKS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
06 m6
164 Posts
smyla said:
You reading the same site as me? I see $125 per wheel (plus shipping) to get them chromed.
he must of ment 500. for the 4, thats pretty good and they look sweet.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I know this is a topic that has been discussed alot and I have searched the other threads. Does it actually make the wheel heavier with the chrome polishing? I would assume it does, but i'd like to find out.

Any disadvantages or negatives to chrome plating? And chrome and chrome plating is the same exact thing right? Because that was kinda confusing me.

·
18,248 Posts
Just don't wax chrome, or it'll help the pitting. (it needs to 'breathe'); use chrome cleaners and the like.

I prefer polished myself (since they are aluminum) and am thinking of ways (in my head) to contrast the wheels...

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I have yet to see an aluminum wheels that was chromed that didn't peel and flake.
In fact, a few years ago, I took some motorcycle parts to a body shop to be painted and the owner, seeing my '96 Impala SS, told me that he some custom chromed stock wheels in the back that he could sell me for a song.
I told him I'd pass as chrome always flakes off these things. He argued with me and pulled down a wheel and guess what? There were some small areas that were already peeling!
Powder coating though, is a pretty good idea...

·
Omertà
5,305 Posts
Who gives a crap on what the additional chrome polishing weights!!
They look sweet
If your worried about an additional couple pounds, then you shouldn't have them in the first place.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Who gives a crap on what the additional chrome polishing weights!!
They look sweet
If your worried about an additional couple pounds, then you shouldn't have them in the first place.
More rotating mass = sucks.

Seriously, I could stand the difference when I had gotten bigger rims on my Grand Am, the car totally felt and drove different.

Chrome wheels are typically heavier and thus can change the properties of the car. I had a very bad experience, because the bigger rims I got on my Grand Am would always make the steering wheel shake and I went through brakes alot sooner than typical. Steering was heavier and the whole car just acted funny. No matter how many times I re-balanced and whatnot, something was just always off.

I love the way my car drives, I don't want it to change.

Also, can't remember who posted it, but remember when someone bought some Boyd Coddington's and lost HP on the dyno?

I know i'm probably being over cautious about it, its probably only a couple lbs each wheel.

Braze, I think they'd look hot on your car!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts