LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Neverending GTO Project Mgr
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard of this happening to some folks. The other day when going to lock my car, it wouldn't lock. Figured I was too far away, so I get next to it. No lock. No response. Won't open the trunk either!

Luckily I'm at home, so I grab the never-used-before spare. Works perfectly from inside the house. I'm presuming the key is dead, I've tried it several times since then with absolutely no luck.

Has anyone else had this happen, what was the resolution at the dealer? I'm hoping they can replace they key. I've had the car for a smidge over a year, but mileage-wise the warranty is blown.

Figures :bomb:

·
1 of 262
10,335 Posts
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33170

It should be covered under warranty.
or $34.50 from Fred Beans

Info - Key Cutting Procedure for Obtaining Replacement Key #03-00-89-037 - (Nov 4, 2003)
Key Cutting Procedure for Obtaining Replacement Key
2004 Pontiac GTO

Important
"GM of Canada" dealers are not authorized to utilize this service bulletin.

Due to the uniqueness of the Pontiac GTO key blank, special equipment is required to cut a key for the Pontiac GTO.

To obtain a replacement key, the following procedure is suggested:

Obtain the vehicle key code by accessing the "Key Code Look Up" application through GM DealerWorld under the Parts tab or from the Security Card provided to the owner at the time of delivery.
Submit a part order through the GMSPO Parts System for a key blank. Be sure to include the key code in the "note" field of the order and indicate the preferred method of shipment (i.e. overnight, etc.).

Important
The order will be shipped the same day if received by 3:00 p.m. EST, or within 24 hours - Monday through Friday.

Assemble the new key to the key remote head (transmitter) using two screws.
Insert the key into the ignition and turn to the RUN position.

Important
This is a one-time program meaning a key can only be programmed once. Once programmed, the key cannot be revised whether on the same vehicle or on a different one.

Program the transmitter to the vehicle. This can be done either through the Tech 2® (TIS CD #11 available 10/20/03 via the web, or 10/24/03 via CD) or by using a manual procedure. For the manual procedure , refer to Document ID #1349159 Transmitter Programming in the Keyless Entry sub-section of SI. The path to access this set-up through the Tech 2® is:
Diagnostics
Pass car
Pontiac
Body
Body Control Module
Special Function
Program Key FOBs
Enter
As an alternate to Step 2, the following equipment can be purchased through 1-800-GM-TOOLS.

Equipment
Description
Part Number

Machine Duplicating
Used to produce a duplicate key from an existing key
74 -- Matrix S

Computerized Duplicating and Code Cutting
Used to produce a key from a key code
74 -- Triax

Parts Information
Part Number
Description
Qty

Key -- Ignition

Screw -- Remote Coded Key
1 pkg

Key Asm -- Door Lock and Ignition Lock Transmitter

Parts are currently available from GMSPO.

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

·
Administrator
9,485 Posts
If you're past 36K it's out of warranty, but it's up to the dealer whether they are willing to cover it as a courtesy. The key/remote doesn't really have "mileage" on it so perhaps they would do you a favor.
Also, after unlocking the car with the working remote you should try starting the car with the "bad" one, and after that see if it works again. I've had to do that once with one of mine and it's been ok since then.

·
GTOless
7,062 Posts
Willow said:
I've heard of this happening to some folks. The other day when going to lock my car, it wouldn't lock. Figured I was too far away, so I get next to it. No lock. No response. Won't open the trunk either!

Luckily I'm at home, so I grab the never-used-before spare. Works perfectly from inside the house. I'm presuming the key is dead, I've tried it several times since then with absolutely no luck.

Has anyone else had this happen, what was the resolution at the dealer? I'm hoping they can replace they key. I've had the car for a smidge over a year, but mileage-wise the warranty is blown.

Unlock the car with the working key and start the car with the key that stopped working. One of the keys on my 05 kept loosing its program and it worked after I used it in the ignition.

·
Registered
14,990 Posts
Note that you only need the remote head part of the key, you can swap out the metal "key" portion to the new remote, as long as it is not broken or damaged. Some dealers have replaced them under waranty for a dead battery, they are supose to last ~5 years. This is thier call though, if they want to do it for you or not.

Will the car start with that dead key? as Juniorss's point is also a vaild problem, but it just gets confused and not actually loose the program... more like lost it's place in the program, this can happen if you press the button out of range a bunch of times.

Also I swap keys once a month for this reason, so if one quits I know it before it is too late and both quit...(for the record I have not had any problems with the keys, but the thinking behind it is, if this type of thing happens and you go to try the other "spare" key, that it isn't also dead and you are SOL)

·
Registered
217 Posts
What about replacing the battery in the key remote. Would that fix it?

·
Registered Loser
931 Posts
ejnichol said:
What about replacing the battery in the key remote. Would that fix it?
To the best of my knowledge, the battery cannot be replaced. It's new key time when the battery runs out...

·
Administrator
9,485 Posts
The battery can theoretically be replaced, but should last for at least 5 years. Officially Pontiac/GM says the battery is not replaceable, and in fact the remote is sealed, but people have taken them apart and there is a thread with pics of the inside. The battery is a CR2032 lithium type, which is a commonly available battery except it has tabs for PC board mounting. Someone with the proper skills and tools could replace it without too much trouble.
It's also impossible to know if the battery is the cause of a dead remote since you have to break the unit open just to get access and test it.

·
Part of the Raider Nation
261 Posts
Fox Mulder said:
The battery can theoretically be replaced, but should last for at least 5 years. Officially Pontiac/GM says the battery is not replaceable, and in fact the remote is sealed, but people have taken them apart and there is a thread with pics of the inside. The battery is a CR2032 lithium type, which is a commonly available battery except it has tabs for PC board mounting. Someone with the proper skills and tools could replace it without too much trouble.
It's also impossible to know if the battery is the cause of a dead remote since you have to break the unit open just to get access and test it.
5 years my ass. One of mine is already dead and I have had my car less than a year.

·
Administrator
9,485 Posts
Well you may be right, but the only way to confirm or fix it is to crack it open. Try to get it warrantied if you haven't already, should be covered. If for some reason it isn't then go ahead and open it up, if it does turn out to be the battery it should be repairable.

·
Are we there yet?
117 Posts
My car does this occasionally and I ahve found that if I shake the remote then it will work. Maybe something is loose inside. This happens a couple times a week, and the shake method works every time.

Wierd :nuts:

·
Registered
14,990 Posts
intercooled6 said:
My car does this occasionally and I ahve found that if I shake the remote then it will work. Maybe something is loose inside. This happens a couple times a week, and the shake method works every time.

Wierd :nuts:

possible a bad solder connection... only way to know is to open it. It is glued(epoxy) shut though, so it isn't easy to open and look at it.

·
Driving is a FULL TIME JOB!
41 Posts
Willow said:

See page 2-6 of your owners manual under Battery. Tells you to put the key in the ignition and turn it to the on position then off, I let it run all the start up checks before turning it off. Then try to operate the doors with it. This corrected the operating problems.

·
I can haz cheezburgerz??
1,519 Posts
Take it to your dealer mine was cool and they ordered me a new one and covered it under warranty

·
Neverending GTO Project Mgr
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The "out of synch" situation seemed to be my problem. Electronically, it makes sense that it could happen.

I wonder if I should lock the spare key and hide it somewhere in the car lol? At least then, if it desynchs, I could open the door and find the spare--all the while the alarm goes off haha.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts