LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using the A/C 100% of the time lately (it's been hot and humid in suburban Philly). It seems there's a lapse in the fan periodically, for no reason...the pressure just seems to "miss". I have an M-6. Is this normal to have a fan variation (almost cuts out for less than a second)? It just seems strange to me.

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
When the AC is on the fan will always be on. Can you elaborate more?

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
I haven't had the fans kick off - but I notice when I'm sitting, the temperature of the air coming in isn't quite as cold as when I'm moving. It's got to be just like the CAI issues - heat soaked air doesn't get cooled down enough to be as cold as ambient air.
Dan

·
Registered
308 Posts
Well, I can truthfully say that I have experienced this on about 3 occasions.
It usually seems to happen to me when i first drive the car after sitting, it usually happens after a minute or two of first starting to drive the car.

What I experience is a very brief cut out of the blower fans almost like a loss of power and it happens so quick and usually the times it has happened to me I was always under 40 MPH through the neighborhood roads and I have a 6 speed and almost always keep the rpms over 2000 while cruising.

At first I didnt think nothing of it, but it happened a few other times so I am wondering myself. although this by all means is not a big problem but it does stop blowing for a fraction and I mean a fraction of a second but is long enogh for you to notice.

And I am in Texas so yeah I am using the AC 100% of the time too.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Compressor

blackm6gto said:
Well, I can truthfully say that I have experienced this on about 3 occasions.
It usually seems to happen to me when i first drive the car after sitting, it usually happens after a minute or two of first starting to drive the car.

What I experience is a very brief cut out of the blower fans almost like a loss of power and it happens so quick and usually the times it has happened to me I was always under 40 MPH through the neighborhood roads and I have a 6 speed and almost always keep the rpms over 2000 while cruising.

At first I didnt think nothing of it, but it happened a few other times so I am wondering myself. although this by all means is not a big problem but it does stop blowing for a fraction and I mean a fraction of a second but is long enogh for you to notice.

And I am in Texas so yeah I am using the AC 100% of the time too.
If the compressor cycles off, then on again too soon (just like a window A/C in a house) the sudden draw on the juice in the car is HUGE, and it will suck everything else down. JMHO with the facts given...

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Whenever the A/C compressor is triggered for A/C or for a defrost/defog mode the low speed fans will come on. Any lapse or variation you hear in the speed of the motor is due to other electrical loads being placed on the car such as lights, wipers, power windows, locks, stereo, etc, etc switching on/off, cycling and what not.

The A/C compressor itself, depending on humidity, dewpoint and of course temperature cycles itself on and off with a clutch also. This on/off action will cause a momentary change in electrical load.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Old Goat said:
If the compressor cycles off, then on again too soon (just like a window A/C in a house) the sudden draw on the juice in the car is HUGE, and it will suck everything else down. JMHO with the facts given...
That's absolutely correct. A/C systems are supposed to go through a pressure release cycle before restart. Many electrically driven refrigeration units will blow a fuse if recycled too soon. In a car, you just abuse the belt, compressor, A/C clutch etc.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Cool, nice to know it is nothing out of the ordinary.

I love my goat!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts