LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Capital City GTO's
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the mods in my sig, will a fast intake do anything for me?

·
Marty
1,167 Posts
I would get heads and or cam prior to the FAST. A cam with install and tune is right around the price of an intake.

·
Eco Friendly
3,762 Posts
The FAST 90mm intake will give you an increase in rwhp and rwtq, but not as large if you had aftermarket heads, camshaft, long tube headers, etc (say over 420rwhp).

·
Clean is good...
2,470 Posts
I was thinking about a 'Fast' also but recently got some info that for the LS2 motors on the '05 goats, there's been some fitment issues with it sitting flat/flush. What's the alternatives if that's the case? What's the best bang for the buck on intakes other than the 'Fast'? I'm reluctant porting the OEM since it's plastic and would rather go with something different.

Tom.

·
Mile High Air
3,070 Posts
yowzerman said:
I was thinking about a 'Fast' also but recently got some info that for the LS2 motors on the '05 goats, there's been some fitment issues with it sitting flat/flush. What's the alternatives if that's the case? What's the best bang for the buck on intakes other than the 'Fast'? I'm reluctant porting the OEM since it's plastic and would rather go with something different.

Tom.
I and several others have FAST intakes on our 05 GTOs and we don't have any fitment problems. The FAST is currently the best there is.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Im gonna buy my self a fast within the next week but dont know which one i should get the 78 or the 90 anyone got a good answer for me.

·
Dismembered
4,339 Posts
GTO2104 said:
Im gonna buy my self a fast within the next week but dont know which one i should get the 78 or the 90 anyone got a good answer for me.

Well, if you have a 2005+, you need the 90. If you have an 04, the 78 is a direct bolt on or you could upgrade to the 90 and at that point, you would need to upgrade the throttle body too. Unless you have a cam, heads and LT's on an 04, stick with the 78.....

·
Eco Friendly
3,762 Posts
GTO2104 said:
If you have a 2004, then you already have the LS6 intake setup - so a FAST 78mm intake isn't worth it. You'd want to buy a FAST 90mm but also need a 90mm throttle body.

If you have a 2005+ you'd buy the FAST 90mm and can reuse your 90mm throttle body.

Higher gains are seen when you already have more power than stock and looking for the next bump up past heads/cam/long tube headers/etc.

·
Registered
995 Posts
If you want to get the most out of your engine then you will want the FAST over porting the stock intake. I know people are getting the ls2 intakes ported but after porting and tuning their seeing 10-15rwhp on avg, you'll get more than that with the FAST weather you have big hp mods or not. Plus if you do get it then decide later you want a bigger cam or heads then you'll get that much more out the heads/cam.

·
Used to have one
4,734 Posts
Marty31 said:
I would get heads and or cam prior to the FAST. A cam with install and tune is right around the price of an intake.
exactly there are more cost effective ways of making even mre power...a f.a.s.t. should be one of your last mods IMO. guys are getting almost as much power out of porting the stock manifold and with a quality tune more power than just the f.a.s.t. alone.

·
Registered
995 Posts
But, to me thats kind of a misleading subject on the whole FAST vs. stock ported intake. I see a lot of people post good gains, but if the tune alone was already off from the factory say 10:1 and they have the intake ported and then dyno'd and tuned and pick up 20+rwhp, not all of that came from the intake. I know porting it helps, but sometimes its a little misleading.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Will the stock fuel rail covers still work with the FAST intake?

·
Registered
995 Posts
There's several cheap and inexpensive ways to adapt the stock fuel rails to the FAST, but the bottom line is it can be done.

·
Waiting for GF4
2,942 Posts
The fast 90 will be my next go mod when I get around to it. I have to agree though that maybe you should go the cam route if interested or heads and cam before the fast. They are expensive for sure and you will see the full potential from it after those mods. Not to say that you won't see a gain from it with the mods you have but you will see more if you did other things first. JMAO

1 - 17 of 17 Posts