LS1GTO Forums banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
YES, SHE IS MY FIANCE :)
664 Posts
Really how hard is this? I have gotten quotes to get my whole exhaust installed and damn its not cheap. I dont have air tools, but a pretty good selection of hand tools and four corners worth of jack stands.
Its not difficult if your handy... jack stands help out tremendously...I just dont want to be liable so I just ended up getting mine installed since they offered me pretty much free install and tune with my Kooks, I patiently looked for a good deal and I got a great deal IMO :)

·
Lots of oranges=Lots of mods
536 Posts
Did mine yesterday. Started at 10:30am and finish at 1:00pm. Took time out for lunch and a beverage. Not nearly as bad as I thought.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I have a tool the goes across the engine bay and sits on top of the fenders- it is used to hold the motor in place. I used it on my GP while my buddy and I changed the motor mounts. I imagine I can use something like this to make a header install simple?

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Really how hard is this? I have gotten quotes to get my whole exhaust installed and damn its not cheap. I dont have air tools, but a pretty good selection of hand tools and four corners worth of jack stands.
Hard to give a comparison, I would say if you can do a clutch you can do Headers and Bolt on Exhaust. Harder than brakes or water pump. If you want to drop cradle I can send U a set of long bolts for cost. U can see how much more room there is. I have done several sets like Kooks says, much more banging around and such.

·
Zoey Pups
226 Posts
All A4's watchout for tranns lines!!!! some say no issue I beg to differ mine took almost 20 hrs over 3 days cause I had trans cooler lines where they weren't supposed to be!!!

also didn't see this in there... take off passenger side coil packs and oil fill neck and header will squeeze in from top saves some time there as well!!!

·
Est. Apr 2004
5,861 Posts
All A4's watchout for tranns lines!!!! some say no issue I beg to differ mine took almost 20 hrs over 3 days cause I had trans cooler lines where they weren't supposed to be!!!

also didn't see this in there... take off passenger side coil packs and oil fill neck and header will squeeze in from top saves some time there as well!!!
+1 on that. The 04's have the Auto trans lines right in the way on the driver's side. I'm pretty sure the 05-06 don't have this issue.

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

I can’t speak from first hand since I only have done M6. From experience with other cars after lines are disconnected from cooler I don’t think they would interfere using this method of dropping cradle. I wonder more about coolant lines on 04 and dropping cradle.

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Why do you have to loosen the motor mounts?
Not a big deal I don’t think it’s required just seems like good idea when moving this much to allow for some movement. My thinking is I’m there with air gun already and same size socket so I just go crazy.
Been several years since I read Kooks instructions but as I remember without dropping cradle you unbolt mounts and raise engine and move around for clearance, I know I did anyway.

·
Cooking with Gasoline!
138 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I have an engine hoist and a 4 post car hoist in my garage.

(file photos)
http://toolmonger.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/post-shopcrane.jpg

http://www.babco.ca/core/media/media.nl?id=8453&c=404828&h=749e9600a4444eddba88

Would it be easier for me to just undo the motor mounts and lift the motor rather than undoing the cradle?

Or is it still easier to undo the cradle?

I just ordered my headers. Looking to install them shortly.
I’m not sure how much help a drive on is no mater how you decide to install headers on GTO. The crane will work same as a jack but just raising engine is still tight. If you don’t want to drop cradle just follow Kooks instructions. Just don’t take any PS lines off rack. Unbolt lines from cradle instead.

·
Cooking with Gasoline!
138 Posts
This is what I came up with ½” Bolts rethreaded to 12 1.5mm 10” and 12” length. I wanted to use original bolts and make extension out of bar stock but by the time it was joined they would be to short, most of the bolt disappears into unibody. Don’t bother looking for long12mm bolts.

So just to clarify, you replaced the cradle bolts with 1/2" bolts that are 10-12" long to lower the car?

So you need two 10"x1/2" bolts and two 12"x1/2" bolts?

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
So just to clarify, you replaced the cradle bolts with 1/2" bolts that are 10-12" long to lower the car?

So you need two 10"x1/2" bolts and two 12"x1/2" bolts?
This is what I came up with ½” Bolts rethreaded to 12 1.5mm 10” and 12” length. . Don’t bother looking for long12mm bolts.

For safety 4 bolts 12mm x 1.5 thread around 10" long.

·
Cooking with Gasoline!
138 Posts
Used a crowbar to persuade them in. I've done lots of header installs. This is not one of my favourites.

·
Rearden Racing
18 Posts
Thank for the info. I tried to follow link on Doric's post #3 and got static about not having enough posts to view the thread. So I am posting. I have been waiting for this car a long time and must do my own work to afford it. Your efforts make this much easier for me. I've spent eight hours per side on headers before and I now do a lot of research before I break out the jack stands.

·
Here for the Gangbang
2,332 Posts
Thank for the info. I tried to follow link on Doric's post #3 and got static about not having enough posts to view the thread. So I am posting. I have been waiting for this car a long time and must do my own work to afford it. Your efforts make this much easier for me. I've spent eight hours per side on headers before and I now do a lot of research before I break out the jack stands.
Let me help - you not being able to access that link is an unfortunate side effect of a policy based on one individual's actions.

This is the same information, but posted in a thread here in the Exhaust forum: http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288135

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
THANKS
We will never go back to not dropping cradle even with a lift. We just did a 2K TA LS1 used 18m x 1.75 all thread dropped cradle 4.5” so much quicker and easier to work on. Put pacesetters and 3” kit on. Great for getting to plugs and things under cowling. Also timing chain and crank pulley.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts