LS1GTO Forums banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
pea on mea
4,016 Posts
i had no issue installing the kooks lt's. dropped the rack, and that was it.
no clearance issues to speak of. glad i didnt have a nightmare to deal
with like some of the posts i've read on here.

·
other kids were doing it.....
2,077 Posts
What part of dropping the cradle says that you can't brace the engine, and take the 2 nuts off the bottom of the motor mounts, therefore taking the weight off the cradle before dropping it? And yes, the sway bar was bullshit, the way it wound around and under/over wiring harness, hard lines and other stuff, but we are talking about headers and not swaybars. Getting under the car with jackstands doesn't make the whole package any heavier or lighter either way you go about it. I will agree that there is always a bit of caution and safety that one should take when getting under your car. I just found that it was easier dropping the cradle without the weight of the engine on it, and it isn't necessarily anymore work and will leave you with much more working space which ultimately could make the job faster and easier. After I replaced my rack earlier this year, I thought to myself how much easier it would be to drop the cradle to do headers, as my original situation allowed for, as opposed to the rack. Not trying to be aggressive or harsh, but sometimes the opinions stated as facts on this forum blow my mind. If you don't have the mental capacity to think for yourself or have your own valid opinions backed by experience and facts, maybe you shouldn't even being doing this type of work to your car, let alone telling others how to do it or what is correct and/or wrong.

·
Slayed by Gagtoe
618,141 Posts
there is definitely no leak on the back of the knuckle as i was under there messing with it trying to get it off the primary and saw no leaks on either side.

·
Where's my elephant?
622 Posts
I dropped the cradle to do my headers recently, and thought I'd add a few notes.

Bolts: I bought a 1 meter (a meter because it's metric...) piece of all-thread from McMaster Carr or Grainger, and cut it into 4 equal pieces. I double-nutted one end and put a washer on it to make my "bolts", and it supported the cradle and engine just fine. I got caught by some bad weather and had to leave the car on jackstands with the cradle hanging on those bolts for a week. No problems.

Clearance: If I had bought 2 pieces of all-thread and made the bolts a few inches longer, it would have been easier. As it was, I had to unbolt the motor mounts and jack the engine back up a few inches to get clearance for the driver side header. No big deal (might also have been that the car wasn't high enough to get the right angle on the header?). JBA headers, btw. No other issues getting the headers up in there.

I also removed the fan assembly instead of trying to protect things with cardboard. It only takes a minute, and there was plenty of clearance for everything with it gone.

Due to weather, the install was spread over 3 days. I'd guess the total time was about 6-7 hours. I did it all myself except for the very end. I had a friend come jack the engine back up while I guided the steering knuckle back together, and he helped get everything buttoned back up.

After having done it, I don't see the big deal about dropping the cradle.

Oh yeah, my cat supervised the spark plug gapping. Turns out those plugs didn't work well, and were replaced with NGK's at the dyno:

·
Performance Addict
2005 PBM, 6 Speed, corner carver
165 Posts
I know this is an old thread but thank you for the detailed write up. I plan to use this method to install my Hotchkiss front sway bar. What a brilliant idea!

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
I know this is an old thread but thank you for the detailed write up. I plan to use this method to install my Hotchkiss front sway bar. What a brilliant idea!
I did the same thing and installed Hotchkiss front sway bar at the same time.

·
2006GTO M6 dd-drag-roadcourse
1,514 Posts
Any GTO without headers?
i have a gto without headers lol. I have a set of pacesetters thats been sitting around for 5 years im finally putting in when i do a cam swap later this month.

i will say i have enjoyed daily driving a quiet gto for years. But now i dont daily it so looking forward to making more noise now.

·
2006GTO M6 dd-drag-roadcourse
1,514 Posts
Quiet...? the smurf is wrong with you?
keeps the poe’s away. I can be full throttle 100yards for a cop and he wont know im there :)

Meanwhile a coyote 5.0 with exhaust you’ll hear coming from a mile away.

Reactions: keitho64

·
Registered
370 Posts
test

61 - 75 of 75 Posts