LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
GTOWILL
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never had any fenders rolled before or known anyone that has done it. How complicated is it? Can a bad fender roller do a lot of damage to the fenders? I am looking at the American Racing Torq Thrust 2s: 17x8 in the front and 17x9.5 in the back. I'll obviously need a little rolling in the back. Any advice from anyone that has done this is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Some have had to roll with 275's in the rear and some have not. It depends on the tire makers I believe. Only 245's in the front however.
:drink::drink:

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
This technique for rolling fenders is not recommended.

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
Talk to Devil Yellow or cjlennoy they both had to roll fenders for wheel fit

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
GTOWILL said:
I've never had any fenders rolled before or known anyone that has done it. How complicated is it? Can a bad fender roller do a lot of damage to the fenders? I am looking at the American Racing Torq Thrust 2s: 17x8 in the front and 17x9.5 in the back. I'll obviously need a little rolling in the back. Any advice from anyone that has done this is greatly appreciated.
Only advice is to have someone you trust do it. Ask to sit in on the process and just make sure they heat up the surface first. Other than that, it wasn't as painful as I imagined it to be.

Padre

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
phobos512 said:
Does rolling fenders change the way the vehicle looks?
No... go out to your car and run your hand along the inside edge of the fender... you will feel a lip which is about an inch or so wide... this is what gets rolled.

·
Registered
835 Posts
phobos512 said:
Does rolling fenders change the way the vehicle looks?
rolling fenders (if done right) will not show at all on the outside. I did mine and what I can recommend is to get the tool that tire rack or bigwheels.net have (its free to borrow) and do it on a warm day or with a heat gun and take it slow. Overall it is very easy and will gain you about 1/2 inch of clearance. Anyone can do it if I can. I would also recommend not to roll it any farther than you have to. Go a little, and test and then go more if necessary. It may be a pain in the a$$ but its better than breaking the paint.

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
04bluegto said:
I went to a body shop today and the guy was like put the 275's on 1st then come back and we'll talk!! I dont think I'll go back to him.
I don't know if that is bad... rolling fenders can be risky and he obviously doesn't want to take that risk without proof you need it.

I can't say I remember, but have 275's always required rolling?

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
First Comment: Mistermike, you made me laugh coffee through my nose.

Second Comment: Not all 275's require rolling. I have 275/35/18 Toyo Proxes T1-S tires on 18" x 9" Intro GT Sport wheels... no rolling required, fit is outstanding. (Thanks to Howie at Arrowhead Performance for doing all the measuring and testing.)

Third Comment: I don't see a NEED to go to bigger tires until you do some significant performance mods, although a stock GTO will smoke those 245's right off the rims. But anything wider than 275 is overkill until you're pushing 400+RWHP, IMHO.

Fourth Comment: Without a doubt, I am going to mod my GTO for autocross. Someday, when I'm wealthy again, I'd like to have a GTO that looks like Stu's. :D

·
Registered
430 Posts
Folks, when you are listing whether or not you need to roll the fenders, etc, please be sure to list the offset of your wheels. This is the most annoying part of all the wheel conversations that go on here. One guy says this works, another doesn't, but they never list the wheel size with the offset. Offset will determine whether you need to roll the lip or not, more so than the tire size.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts