LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And overall it looks pretty good. I may get the rear window re-done as when you are looking through the rear view mirror, it appears "splotchy." You'll also notice some white around the edges of each window. That's where the dreaded dots are and the adhesive was still drying at the time I took these pictures. I will see how it looks tomorrow morning.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And 3 more.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
well i gotta say its looks good. but i think you are asking for trouble having your fronts tinted in the chicago area. i started getting pulled over for it so much that i decided it wasn't worth it any more and took the front tints off. i am definitely gonna tint the new GTO. just not the fronts.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got tinted windows on my Camaro, GTO, Silverado and my old Aurora. Never have had a problem.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are my truck and my Camaro. All have the same 33% grade tint as the GTO.

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
Looks sharp. Too bad I'm not willing to risk the hassle, and it just doesn't look right w/o the front windows done - which is the illegal part here in MI.
Dan

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
I've got tinted windows on my Camaro, GTO, Silverado and my old Aurora. Never have had a problem.
wow, again. you must come across much nice cops than i do. im jealous.

Looks sharp. Too bad I'm not willing to risk the hassle, and it just doesn't look right w/o the front windows done - which is the illegal part here in MI.
i do agree that it does look much better with all the windows tinted. but just having the back ones done doens't look too bad, IMO. im stilling getting it done b/c i like having tints.

·
Been here for a long time...
4,658 Posts
Looks good :thumbs:

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
I thought it was flat illeagal in this area to tint the fronts. I have a Florida leagal tint on my dakota. I haven't been stopped yet but it is a fairly light tint. Does anyone know what the law in Illinois is in reguards to tint? Heck, even a 20% is better than nothing.

Oh I almost forgot.. Props to CMTMXR, looks sweet and the wing omission is slick. Did you fill the holes or just buy a new lid?

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
sxty8goats said:
I thought it was flat illeagal in this area to tint the fronts. I have a Florida leagal tint on my dakota. I haven't been stopped yet but it is a fairly light tint. Does anyone know what the law in Illinois is in reguards to tint? Heck, even a 20% is better than nothing.

Oh I almost forgot.. Props to CMTMXR, looks sweet and the wing omission is slick. Did you fill the holes or just buy a new lid?

yes i know the law. IT IS TOTALLY ILLEGAL TO HAVE ANY KIND OF TINT ON THE FRONT WINDOWS IN ILLINOIS. PERIOD.
the reason that you probably haven't had problems in your dakota is b/c cops dont care so much about people driving trucks/SUVs/old man 4 door cars. it has been my experience that the cops target young males in two door sports cars and coupes.
also, if you have a relatively light tint it can be hard to see so they might not give you such a hard time about it.
any other questions feel free to ask since i have been made well aware of these illiniois laws :rolleyes:

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
Just looked it up...

"Sec. 12-503. Windshields must be unobstructed and equipped with wipers.
(a) No person shall drive a motor vehicle with any sign, poster, window application, reflective material, nonreflective material or
tinted film upon the front windshield, sidewings or side windows immediately adjacent to each side of the driver. A nonreflective tinted
film may be used along the uppermost portion of the windshield if such material does not extend more than 6 inches down from the top of the windshield. Nothing in this Section shall create a cause of action on behalf of a buyer against a dealer or manufacturer who sells a motor vehicle with a window which is in violation of this Section.
(b) Nothing contained in this Section shall prohibit the use of nonreflective, smoked or tinted glass, nonreflective film, perforated
window screen or other decorative window application on windows to the rear of the driver's seat, except that any motor vehicle with a window to the rear of the driver's seat treated in this manner shall be equipped with a side mirror on each side of the motor vehicle which are in conformance with Section 12-502. "

I may still try a 50%, The stuff comes off, right?...

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
sxty8goats said:
I may still try a 50%, The stuff comes off, right?...

yes it comes off. but i would reccommend having the place that installed it take it off. and they will probably charge you.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To sum it up, in Illinois the Driver's door, windshield and front passenger door windows are illegal to be tinted at any level.

Anything aft of the driver, I.E. rear door windows, quarter windows, opera windows and rear window may be as dark as you wish. I.E. the standard tinting on all SUV's are legal from the driver back.

gtodriver, it's simply a matter of never being hassled. There are tons of cars around here with tinted windows. Usually the cops leave you alone as long as you're being a productive citizen. Now if I were driving around in a new Escalade with 24" Dayton's and spinners, big 24k gold grill, lowered, with a $100,000 stereo at full thump and limo black windows, then you may have a problem with teh law enforcement community.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
To sum it up, in Illinois the Driver's door, windshield and front passenger door windows are illegal to be tinted at any level.

Anything aft of the driver, I.E. rear door windows, quarter windows, opera windows and rear window may be as dark as you wish. I.E. the standard tinting on all SUV's are legal from the driver back.

gtodriver, it's simply a matter of never being hassled. There are tons of cars around here with tinted windows. Usually the cops leave you alone as long as you're being a productive citizen. Now if I were driving around in a new Escalade with 24" Dayton's and spinners, big 24k gold grill, lowered, with a $100,000 stereo at full thump and limo black windows, then you may have a problem with teh law enforcement community.
well CMNT once again, we have had different experienes with "the man". well im glad that you haven't ever been hassled. wish i could say the same.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
The Virginia State Legal Limit: rear @ 35%, rear sides @ 35%, front sides @ 50%, no tint on windshield. It definitely makes the Torrid Red look more aggressive.

Yours looks good MXR. Congrats.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
When I got my windows tinted on my car they said dont clean the windows for a week and the film can remain wet for a month. I had white streaks and film on the film. After a month I cleaned the windows and now they look great.

·
Growing up is an option
17,296 Posts
i've got a funny story on that. i bought my '98 GTP used from a dealer after it came back from lease after 3 years, 36,000 miles. all the windows except the windshield were tinted. the salesman and i thought it really looked cool but he warned me that it was illegal in michigan on the front windows. i wanted to drive it home that night so i made arangements to bring it back in the following day. i took it home and the very next morning i took a side trip to the credit union to get my old title signed off on and then was going on to the dealer. with 26 miles in the car i got pulled over and had to show him i'd just gotten it and was on my way to get the front tints removed. he let me go with a warning but it underscored the fact that i didn't want to give the police an excuse to hassle me.

·
Registered
102 Posts
tinted windows

I had the dealer tint the window "as dark as legal" and they look good! Guess its a state by state deal. The bubble around the window from the dots sucks but theres nothing you can do about that. Mine are legal and I sure see alot of cars with darker tint, the police must not worry about it too much here in the south.

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
:cool: Looks great I have the same tint ,But they did not tint up the dot matrix on the rear glass.

The did on the Grand Am and it looked and dried shitty so I had them trim it off.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts