LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
PhantomBlack/Red_M6
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One night coming home late from work-about midnight-I came apon one of those late 90's Big Black Impalas. I could tell quickly it was modded-wide tires and low. It;s plate said 4DR RKT.(4 door rocket).

I was feeling ****y so I pulled up beside, decided NOT to mind my ooowwn businesss and goosed it (I had already downshifted so I had good rpms). And we were off-from 60mph-I quickly saw his back bumper-WWHHAAATTTT?
It was short because my exit was near-but it was his exit also-M59 to I-75-

So then we go from 50-I new it would be a longer run-again he's GONE!! This is when I run it out for a few seconds in 5th and I glance down doing 135-my seat is feeling light_ That Impala is about 1/4 mile ahead of me!! Must be doing well over 150-160--Going by Diamler Chrysler World Headquarters.

He got off at my exit and we stopped at a red-I yelled out, "Nice job on your car"-It was modded inside-out, but the body was still intact. Nice lookin boat and loud.
All I could hear him say was supercharged and that he had it over 200 on the race track!!

You have to respect that, it was a ROCKET
So I just made my way home-Thinking to myself,"Finally beaten by somebody"

But my Goat and I were still smilin'-that was fun! :)

·
The Ghost & the Darkness
2,273 Posts
If you're going to get killed, do it against something bigger I always say! :hail:

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Yep, no shame in that loss. If it's the Impala body style I am thinking of, those things look BAD A**. I would have bought one if I could have afforded it at the time.

It's those "got killed by a ford focus" threads that I dread posting. LOL.

·
got rice?
480 Posts
Nice try. It's better than being smoked by a ricer.

·
GTOless
7,067 Posts
I dont think my dad will ever get ride of our 95 Impala. One day it will be as fast as the guy you lost to.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
nikivee said:
Over 200mph on the race track? Aha...
Yep, I'll be willing to concede that the car is built, and may even have enough ponies to hit that speed, but to get in that zone safely, everything's got to be perfect. Suspension, tires, brakes, and aerodynamics, not to mention roll cage, fire supression, etc. If he hits those kind of speeds with just powertrain, he's playing Russian roulette.

·
PhantomBlack/Red_M6
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Holy Crap-That's the car- I told ya! I told ya!
He lives in the same town-

Thanks no cone- That's cool

·
THE ROKET WAS SOLD ON 6/22/14
9,794 Posts
That story reminds me of the time I was at a red light in the left turn lane only, when this 02-03 Impala pulls next to me. It was all dirty, 4dr, baby seat in the back, and it looked real beat, that was about all I could see of the car. He was revving it up because I could see his car twisting and jumping. I had the windows closed the air and radio on so I really couldn't hear it. He was either playing around or baiting me for a run, but being in the left only lane with the arrow now telling me to turn, I had no choice but to turn. I then pulled into the parking lot, and headed for the empty end to park. I had just backed in when that same car at the light pulled into the parking space right next to me.

I opened my window to see what this guy wanted. He was all jumpy and hanging half way out of his window talking real fast. We both got out and he was saying something about the GTO (the same thing I get at gas stations) and wanted to see the "chevy" motor. His words not mine, I wasn't too happy about that remark, but opened it up anyway. He was like....looks good, all alum huh?....you know the drill. Plus he wanted to see if my hood scoops were real, but when he saw the after market air box and K&N filter, he knew it was.

About this time I really got a good look at his car. He had these big 18" road slicks and shows me where they split and welded the rims. I noticed that there was burnt rubber all over his rear fenders and the car was filthy inside and out. He then opened his hood (this was in the middle of the day and it was a little overcast) it was like he had a spot light on under his hood, I had to put my sun glasses back on. Everything was chromed, even the hoses. He had this super charger with all kinds of solid metal things hooked up to it. The intake was right in the middle of the motor laying on its side with two pieces of fiberglass in a "V" shape attached to a 9" K&N filter, so when he closes the hood its all sealed. This guy was one of these "gearheads" (no offence to anyone here)
that puts all of his money into the engine and and other things and leaves the car "ratty" looking.

Then he started talking about race numbers, 1/4 mile stuff, he said his car does low 10's or 11"s or something. By this time I just wanted to go do what I needed to do and leave. I started to walk away and he was still talking about race tracks, car meets, finaly he said see ya later. As he was leaving, of course he had to light them up, leaving even more burnt rubber on his car...lol...

Yikes, if I was to take the bait and wasn't in the turn lane, I would have goten my ass beat, really bad too. I guess don't judge the car by the looks, but if I saw the street slicks before hand and the duel pipes I would have..........screw that I would have taken the bait and my lumps....hehehehe

(sorry, spell check wouldn't work for some reason)

ROK

·
THE ROKET WAS SOLD ON 6/22/14
9,794 Posts
kevm14 said:
He had rubber on his rear fender area? But it was an 02-03? Huh?
Yea I noticed that too after I posted it, sorry. It was a mid to late 90's and a SS model too. Hey my meds finally kicked in, what can I say?....hehehehe.....

ROK œ:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Maybe next time???

I do believe that you came up to my right rear quarter and started to pick on poor little ole me first! But I figured what the hell, time to have some fun. The story you wrote is for the most part very accurate, too bad not long enough of a run to really have some fun. I did wait for you a couple of times though! :) My buddy sent me this topic, so I thought I would respond. You held your own though, too bad you got left that way! :gr_jest: Just kidding... I do alot of top end runs, got tired of quarter mile after about 10 years of it. So I decided to go for top end, for longer distances. ALOT MORE FUN!! The Cardomain site needs to be updated, have even done more work on it since meeting you that night. I do Vehicle Developemnet for DCX, we just got one of the GTO'S last week after a engineer decided he was so smart he knew how to fade the brakes at CPG, and go 4-wheeling with it. Needless to say the whole left side, front facia, rear facia, brakes/rotors and so on need to be replaced. I have a really good tuner, so if you guys need to touch some stuff up, LMK. Anyways, get ahold of me sometime, I have some ideas for your car!.
Rik
SNDBX_GTO said:
One night coming home late from work-about midnight-I came apon one of those late 90's Big Black Impalas. I could tell quickly it was modded-wide tires and low. It;s plate said 4DR RKT.(4 door rocket).

I was feeling ****y so I pulled up beside, decided NOT to mind my ooowwn businesss and goosed it (I had already downshifted so I had good rpms). And we were off-from 60mph-I quickly saw his back bumper-WWHHAAATTTT?
It was short because my exit was near-but it was his exit also-M59 to I-75-

So then we go from 50-I new it would be a longer run-again he's GONE!! This is when I run it out for a few seconds in 5th and I glance down doing 135-my seat is feeling light_ That Impala is about 1/4 mile ahead of me!! Must be doing well over 150-160--Going by Diamler Chrysler World Headquarters.

He got off at my exit and we stopped at a red-I yelled out, "Nice job on your car"-It was modded inside-out, but the body was still intact. Nice lookin boat and loud.
All I could hear him say was supercharged and that he had it over 200 on the race track!!

You have to respect that, it was a ROCKET
So I just made my way home-Thinking to myself,"Finally beaten by somebody"

But my Goat and I were still smilin'-that was fun! :)

·
Registered
541 Posts
I wonder how that "small" engine, though blown, would do against ol' Zip Code-- that was a '66 427 Impala SS that a guy had here. It was a local legend; I saw him blow off many at the dragstrip, (including classic goats) and it was a daily driver. Nice one, Juniorss... wheels are great (I'm too old to call 'em rims).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts