LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, when I bought my 05, the left bumper clip was broken. I made sure to wheel it around to the bodyshop that day to let them know it was broken, and that I'd bring it in later to be fixed.

I take the car in today. I walked the tech around the car...no dings, dents, scratches. It was freshly Zaino'd this weekend. I note the mileage.

I pick it up. Everything looks good, no problem with the walkaround, no mileage added to the car. Clip was repaired. No charge.

Tonight, I go to wipe off a smudge they got on the hood, and the towel feels like it's going over sandpaper. You can actually hear the towel abrading against something small and granular in the paint. It's on the hood, a lot on the left fender, left door and quarter.The right side is still Zaino smooth. Detail spray doesn't touch it. Z5 doesn't touch it. Polishing compound starts to cut it, but it's on there thick.

I did note that when they took the car back to do the repairs,they had it parked outside a bay, with the left side facing the bay. I don't think it's paint overspray... the spray booths are on the opposite side of the building, but I do think some numbnuts was working with something in that bay and whatever it was is now all over my car.

Any ideas?

·
I can haz cheezburgerz??
1,519 Posts
Take it back and raise hell. Make them pay for a professional detail.:punch:

·
Belch
943 Posts
I don't know if a claybar would do anything -- but it can't hurt to try. You can also try an overspray removal solvent. P&S Remove All is a good place to start. Good luck. That sucks.

·
king of the castle....
726 Posts
This is why I hate returning to dealers. I tried to get my car without the PDI but they told me I couldnt have it unless THEY went over it first. I dont like anyone touching my car. Thats the whole reason I took it. ODO said 4 miles on her. Still nice and condom wrapped. Sheesh that sux man

·
1 of 262
10,335 Posts
Use clay and Z-8, it works for me. I just removed a small scuff in my hood on Monday using this process; it's like glass now.

·
GMX 341
386 Posts
Damn that sucks. It almost sounds like someone had a smattering of urethane clear on themselves and while still wet managed to unconsciously transfer it to the vehicle. Somewhat undetectable in a walk around until the wipe down. Smudge like in appearance, compound may be the only solution, or a claybar application or two.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I clayed the fender and hood last night and it cleaned it up. I wouldn't take it back to Pontiac because chances are excellent that they'll hand it to some $6.00 an hour prep guy who'll hit it with an electric buffer rather than do any real work. I guess I'll spend this weekend getting it back in shape. At least it can be fixed.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Bottom line is (and I am sorry to say) they treat a GTO with the same non-chalant I don't give a $H*T attitude as they would a Vibe or anything else that they might service. I finally was able to get a few things with my car fixed by a dealer which I am thankful about, but it took about 5 times of going up there over the course of a year and also the whole time it was there I had a pit in my stomach. That sucks for you and I am sorry to hear that. I would suggest trying the claybar and see if that helps.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's the pisser...I get the VIP treatment. We own a pair of preschools and both the asst body shop manager and the tech have their children at our schools. I'm sure they thought they were helping me out and didn't realize the car had been hit with overspray...you can't see it, you'd have to run your hand over it to feel it...but I imagine the guy coming in off the street has an even tougher time. Basic rule...stay with the car at all times. Nobody else is going to protect it like you would.

·
1967 Firebird HO Conv. M3
176 Posts
Yeah, I clayed the fender and hood last night and it cleaned it up. I wouldn't take it back to Pontiac because chances are excellent that they'll hand it to some $6.00 an hour prep guy who'll hit it with an electric buffer rather than do any real work. I guess I'll spend this weekend getting it back in shape. At least it can be fixed.
When I had my scratch repaired at the dealer body shop I noticed a bunch of nubs in the clear coat (dirt or bubbles??). Their answer to those was to wet-sand and buff them out. That process removed most of the factory orange-peel and now that section of the car is real shiny/smooth now (I had asked them to try to mach the factory OP as much as possible). Then while waxing the quarter panel I noticed a water spot. When I tried to remove it (clay first, then tried scratch-X) it was still there and upon closer inspection I figured out it was UNDER the clear coat. They frikkin cleared over a water spot and the bodyshop manager claimed it was not in the clearcoat and said a wet-sand and buff should remove it. Guess what? Nope, it was definatley under the clear since it was still there after the wet-sanding. Then to top it all off, the tech grabs the polisher and places it and the polising pad on the bodyshop FLOOR where it an pick up all kinds of nasties and proceeds to polish the quarter panel. You can guess what it looked like after that:turbonaug

I think I'll have to take it to a detailer to get it done right, damn dealer shop. It's really too bad too because their service dept. has been excellent.

·
Banned
3,872 Posts
Here's the pisser...I get the VIP treatment. We own a pair of preschools and both the asst body shop manager and the tech have their children at our schools. I'm sure they thought they were helping me out and didn't realize the car had been hit with overspray...you can't see it, you'd have to run your hand over it to feel it...but I imagine the guy coming in off the street has an even tougher time. Basic rule...stay with the car at all times. Nobody else is going to protect it like you would.
well if you get the "VIP treatment" then you should have gone back, right away, and told them what had happened. they should have had no problem taking care of you. you can't tell us that you have NEVER screwed up in your life? accidents happen, the difference between good and bad service is how they rectify a bad situation if it happens.
my dealership has made mistakes before but they have TOTALLY made up for it, because I let them know about it immediately, and don't go in there looking for people's heads. people that work there, that have never even had direct contact with me know me just from my car and how I carry myself around there. it is a good situation to be in

I will now step off:soapbox:

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1969 SS said:
well if you get the "VIP treatment" then you should have gone back, right away, and told them what had happened. they should have had no problem taking care of you. you can't tell us that you have NEVER screwed up in your life? accidents happen, the difference between good and bad service is how they rectify a bad situation if it happens.
my dealership has made mistakes before but they have TOTALLY made up for it, because I let them know about it immediately, and don't go in there looking for people's heads. people that work there, that have never even had direct contact with me know me just from my car and how I carry myself around there. it is a good situation to be in

I will now step off:soapbox:
Well, in this instance being a "VIP" is a double-edged sword. These guys are my customers as much as I'm theirs, so I don't really want to go back and start stomping my foot. There's a difference between carelessness and a mistake.

Carelessness was not staying with the car the first time. A mistake would be to give them another shot at my paint.

·
Premium Member
82,628 Posts
Just hose his kids w/ something, or let them play with some permenant markers!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sounds like there is some overspray on your paint, hence the rough sandpaper feel you get when you try to wipe it down. I always use a Claybar to take contaminants like that out of the paint, it should work for you also. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts