LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to take the GTO out to the autocross today, and I quickly realized the shortfall of the car... crappy all-season tires.

I felt that the car was very well behaved, easily steered with the throttle, but just couldn't hold any speed through the turns because of the tires. The first performance mod that will get done to the car is some Max/Ultra High Performance tires... but that won't be for a bit.

I may have to take her back out again this year, we'll see.

BTW, I took incar of the autocross, but I haven't figured out how to post the vid to my website, so once I do, I'll post the link.

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
Thanks for the report. I experienced the same, except with my automatic I did a boneheaded thing: I left traction control on for a couple of the runs. :rolleyes: :banghead:

The car is nimble, but rolls a lot and is just way too heavy. But still some good potential.

Let us know how you do.

The only thing I can brag about in autocrossing is that I've never knocked down a cone. :) I've never won any titles or anything either, but the small things are important. :)

Padre

·
Registered
349 Posts
I'll be going to my 4th autocross with the GTO this weekend in Rockingham. At my first event in Sanford, I hit one cone on the first run and then had 3 DNFs. I kept getting lost on a certain part of the course. For the other two events, I had all clean runs (5 in Rockingham and 4 in Laurinburg), with consistently improving times across the runs.

I'm having a great time, but I pretty much suck at it. I have a lot to learn about going fast around the cones. I think that some better tires, suspension mods and maybe upgrading the brakes might help the GTO be a quicker autocross car, but I'm sure I need more mods than the car if I'm going to improve my times :). I doubt I'm coming anywhere close to the potential of the car yet. I hope to find an autocross course this fall.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Funny you should mention this...

I drove in my second Autocross event just yesterday. My brother and I took turns driving my '04 GTO (M6). After my first event last month, he started talking smack about how I drive like a "grandpa", but yesterday I beat his best time by five seconds. Of course, he had a long list of excuses. :rolleyes:

And speaking of "grandpa", my Dad entered his Mercury Marauder and brought in a ringer driver, a cop he knows. The cop drove that 4200 pound "brick on a roller skate" to #1 in the FS class! See, the driver DOES make a difference.

No, the '04 GTO is NOT really made for SCCA Solo2 Autocross. The courses are too small and the GTO never gets a chance to use its real advantage, top end horsepower. But the events are a lot of fun and a great way to drive aggressively without fear of retribution. I highly recommend Autocross.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
FLORIT said:
And speaking of "grandpa", my Dad entered his Mercury Marauder and brought in a ringer driver, a cop he knows. The cop drove that 4200 pound "brick on a roller skate" to #1 in the FS class! See, the driver DOES make a difference.
YUP. the driver is key not the car. you can go to one of these things and see a guy in a 79 station wagon beating everyone. and a guy in his new corvette sucking it up.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I'm heading to my third (and hopfully forth) event this weekend. I made a brace to hold my camera so this time I'll have some vids too.

I was told... If you don't hit a cone your not close enough to them.

I hit two cones on my last run the last time. I kept getting closer each run until I hit them. I was real surprised how close I wasn't the first few times. I didn't think there was any space on the first few runs.

I agree with the tires. 60k mile tires tend to be a little hard and slippery. New tires are planned for next year.

Tigger - getting lost on the track :banghead: wait, three times :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: Honestly, that is one thing I worry about on my first run.

·
Registered
349 Posts
mlc said:
Tigger - getting lost on the track :banghead: wait, three times :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: Honestly, that is one thing I worry about on my first run.
In my defense, I was told by several experienced drivers that the course that weekend was one of the most visually confusing courses they could remember. It was very frustrating especially since I got a time on my first run and could not improve on it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've thought of getting into this and it would be fun to take both of the family cars and see which does better:

04 GTO- Bone stock
02 Miata- Bone stock

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
goatee said:
I've thought of getting into this and it would be fun to take both of the family cars and see which does better:

04 GTO- Bone stock
02 Miata- Bone stock
If both are driven by a novice then they 'pax' them to make them equal. My bet would be on the Miata, especially if its a tight course.
try it and let us know.

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
Tigger said:
I'll be going to my 4th autocross with the GTO this weekend in Rockingham. At my first event in Sanford, I hit one cone on the first run and then had 3 DNFs. I kept getting lost on a certain part of the course. For the other two events, I had all clean runs (5 in Rockingham and 4 in Laurinburg), with consistently improving times across the runs.

I'm having a great time, but I pretty much suck at it. I have a lot to learn about going fast around the cones. I think that some better tires, suspension mods and maybe upgrading the brakes might help the GTO be a quicker autocross car, but I'm sure I need more mods than the car if I'm going to improve my times :). I doubt I'm coming anywhere close to the potential of the car yet. I hope to find an autocross course this fall.

This is the secret to not getting lost. Walk the course first before the autocross starts! Another helpful tip is to work the course first and drive in the second session. That way you can see where other drivers are screwing up and not make the same mistakes!!! This is how I won two national club titles. I learned this from a guy that has 30+ national club titles. I figure he know his stuff!!!

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
goatee said:

04 GTO- Bone stock
02 Miata- Bone stock
Each car would do well in different courses. The Miata would be great in a tight course with little to no straight aways.

The goat would do well in an open course where it could stretch its legs a bit.

In the end though the ligher car is much easier to throw around in an autocross! You would most likely pull better times in the (I hate to say it) Miata. But hey, the goat will kick the Miatas A$$ at the dragstrip and on a nice 2 mile road course!!!

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
goatee said:

04 GTO- Bone stock
02 Miata- Bone stock
The Miata, hands down. Much, much better car for Autocross. If I were competing for points and a title, I'd get a Miata. But driving just for fun (and show), the GTO is a blast.

Even on an "open" Autocross track, the Miata would still win. That's because there's never enough room to get the Goat going. Now, on that 2-mile road course, the GTO would absolutely devour a Miata, probably lap the little thing.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Doc GTO said:
This is the secret to not getting lost. Walk the course first before the autocross starts! Another helpful tip is to work the course first and drive in the second session. That way you can see where other drivers are screwing up and not make the same mistakes!!! This is how I won two national club titles. I learned this from a guy that has 30+ national club titles. I figure he know his stuff!!!
Believe me, I walked that particular course several times before the event. There was supposed to be a novice walk-through where an experienced driver took the novices through the course pointing out the key cones to look for, but for some reason that didn't happen on that very confusing course when I was a first timer. That particular course had tons of extra cones and not enough marker cones (i.e. cones on their sides as pointers). It was visually very confusing. I had no trouble "seeing" the other two courses I've run, but that first one really threw me.

·
Registered
279 Posts
goatee said:

04 GTO- Bone stock
02 Miata- Bone stock
Goatee,

Since you are in Northern Virginia you should sign up for the next SCCA Solo II at FedEx Field on September 5. See: http://solo.wdcr-scca.org/

Registration opens this Sunday at 8 pm.

Be warned however, these events are VERY popular and, even with some 250 drivers, online registration fills up within fifteen minutes!!! So, make sure you are on the computer at 8 pm to get in.

Jim

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
Tigger said:
Believe me, I walked that particular course several times before the event. There was supposed to be a novice walk-through where an experienced driver took the novices through the course pointing out the key cones to look for, but for some reason that didn't happen on that very confusing course when I was a first timer. That particular course had tons of extra cones and not enough marker cones (i.e. cones on their sides as pointers). It was visually very confusing. I had no trouble "seeing" the other two courses I've run, but that first one really threw me.
It can happen. Whoever set it up was at fault. Sometimes the track designer will run a chalk line on the left side all the way through the course if he runs into problems like you had! Shake it off and do it again!!!

Doc

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
illuvial said:
Do all the 04's come with the same gforce Bridgstones?
IIRC, they all have the same 245-45-17 BF Goodrich (I wish Bridgestone) KDWS all-season tires.

I may seriously consider some BFG KD tires for the next set, or some Bridgestone something or others (haven't looked at their line this past year...), maybe some S-03s.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Damn missed it.

I have a 1984 porsche 944 that I would love to autocross, sorry but my my gto handles like crap in comparrison to this 20 year old go-cart. I have taken 15 mph corners at 60 and I still haven't made the tires scream....no power but on a tight track forget it, that car with the LS1 swap is bad ass on any autocross

·
Registered
70 Posts
This thread's almost six years old, but I'm assuming it's better to bring it back instead of starting a new one.

First of all, hello! I'm new, and I've only had a 05 Goat with an M6 for about 3 months now. I've ran about four autocrosses in my life, only one with this car. I'm really going to get into it next year and take some classes in the spring (I need to improve myself first)

I was wondering if anyone continued autocrossing over the past five years. I know these cars aren't set up for this, but it's a great way to actually "drive" the car with worrying about the law or high-speed accidents. (It's my daily driver, so I can't be too rough)

Does anyone have any experience selecting brake pads and tires for FS? Is there anything I should worry about? (aside from being heavy and the tie-rod issue) Any advice would be appreciated.:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts