LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Dick Ross
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What was your first bike? What do you recommend to beginners starting out?

My first bike was a 2009 Ninja 650R. Lots of people told me to get the 250 or the 300, and lots of people told me get what I wanted and to control my throttle. So finding a first bike was very difficult for me. My problem was 2 things.

1- I'm 5'5" @ 130lbs (not being able to get flat feet is unsettling for a lot of new folks, and bigger bikes feel heavier to short people due to the extra lean of the bike at a stop on 1 leg)

2- I didn't want to outgrow a small bike, but didn't want a bike that would be overly intimidating.

So I did some searching and ended up with the 650r. It was pretty low for a sport style bike, wasn't heavy, had a lot more power in the lower RPMs, throttle was smooth, it was comfortable, looked like a bigger bike, it was pretty forgiving, and I wouldn't outgrow it for a long while-if ever.

I think it's one of the best bikes out there for a beginner. It was a hell of a lot of fun. I would recommend it to a newbie in a heartbeat.

·
Out and about
1,433 Posts
It depends on the person. But you always hear to start with something cheap so if you wreck it, then you'll only be out a little money rather than a lot. Then you hear people say you'll want more power so start with something a little more.

I started with a R1, then got another R1 and now have a ZX-10R. I'm 5' 7" and about 130lbs. It was scary at first but you get use to the power and learn to ease into it.

In my mind, get what you want. Learn the bike and don't act like a smurfing fool. Get a lot of seat time and learn. I put just over 18k miles on my 04 R1 in 1 1/2 years before trading it in for an 07 R1.

Hell, bikes these days have a power selector on them. At least on the sport bike scene. I'm not sure about Motards, cruisers, touring bikes, etc.

·
Jimmy Rustler
9,513 Posts
Honda CB400T, looked just like this one:

I'm 6'1", probably weighed about 220-230 then. Bike was a great starter but I found myself wanting more power almost right away.

·
1 of 40,757
6,189 Posts
RZ350. My one and only bike. Been working on it again. :woot:

Last version. FZ600 swingarm, GSX 4.5" wheel, GS500 cush drive, GSXR front end.

Latest version frame is being widened for a 9" swing arm (gsxr600).
New 2006 complete front end.
New lomas pipes (cf cans).

All this stuff is lighter than the original 1985 rz parts.

Attachments

·
Registered Winner
7,144 Posts
First streetbike was a 1996 GSXR 750. Full Yosh exhaust, worked motor, spent a damn fortune on that thing. I miss stand up wheelies.

·
Registered
199 Posts
My first bike was a 2003 R6, first year of fuel injection. I was 19 and about 170lbs. Definitely was a lot of bike for a beginner but just have to be smart.

I always recommend naked 600's. Suzuki SV is a great starter bike in my opinion.

I've had a 675 then a R1 and back to a 675 since my first R6. R1 isn't/ wasn't any fun on the street (Dont get me wrong, it was awesome. But I live in the DC area and VA laws are insanely strict). Get in too much trouble too fast, even at my weight now of 235lbs I love my 675.

·
Zombie Hotties Rule
849 Posts
1974 Indian MT5A - it was actually an Italia Jet bike imported under the Indian name - got it in 1974 and rode it until 1978 when I got a YZ80.

Word is there were only something like 250 of these bikes imported - there is a different model the MM5A that saw more imported but not this version.

Crazy thing is I still have it (this one is not mine) one day I want to get the bike restored - there is a company that has all the parts and I have a few of the more rare parts that I bought 10 years ago or so -

For a time back 10 years ago I frequented a forum dedicated to these bikes - at the time is was thought that I was the only one in the US that still had their original bike from 74 - don't know that its a fact but I am betting not many people have their first mini bike from 43 years ago -

One day this will be a cool wall decoration in my man cave -

Attachments

·
May I quote you on that?
22,049 Posts

My first. Honda Shadow VLX. Bought it last Spring to develop some riding skills before I went out and bought a nice bike. Heavy and slow with clunky handling, but cheap and expendable. Replaced with a new Victory Octane, which became an orphan shortly thereafter. I decided to pick up a Chevy SS to add to my orphan collection. Anlyone have a Betamax for sale?

·
Registered
40 Posts
My first bike was an 84 Honda Nighthawk 650 like this one.

Then got a 2000 Suzuki SV650

I then moved onto a 98 Honda VFR 800 which I love

Note: these pics were borrowed from the interwebs and aren't pics of my bikes.

As MTarr07 said, you can't go wrong with an SV but I love the over all confort of the VFR. It's a bit big for a shorter person, but is super confortable for a sporty bike.

·
Administrator
9,488 Posts
My first was a 1995 Honda CBR 600 F3. Second was a 2003 Triumph Speed Triple 955i. And third (probably last since my wrist injury) was a 2012 Speed Triple 1050.

·
Dick Ross
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The 2018 street triple RS is sex :drool: i was looking at getting it, but with the 818 build goin on I can't afford it at tge moment :( or any bike for that matter :whine:

·
いいえ、それ&#
2,016,970 Posts
First road bike was a '73 Harley FLH police edition that had been in an accident (I bought in in auction in '75). After putting a new fork on it I had it up in college where it was totaled by a drunk driver (it was parked thankfully). I then bought a '70 BMW R50/5 which I had for a few years. I also had a '79 Honda CBR750F, an '82 CX500 Turbo (one I should never have sold), then later a '93 CBR600F2 and a '99 BMW R1100GS.

My last bike was a 2002 BMW K1200RS that I sold in 2010. I toy with the idea of getting another bike but I don't trust the assholes on the road these days.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,049 Posts

·
Slow Goat
244 Posts
Besides a dirt bike my first street bike was a 2001 R1 and I now currently ride a 2005 R1. All stock except for race baffles and a power commander 3. Scares the shit out of me.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
About this Discussion
49 Replies
37 Participants
maradamx3
LS1GTO.com Forums
LS1GTO.com is a forum community dedicated to the LS1 Pontiac GTO. Come discuss mods, horsepower, engine specs and more!
Full Forum Listing