LS1GTO Forums banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered lurker
535 Posts
My first bike was a 69 X6 Suzuki I bought in the Spring of 75. 250cc, 2 cyl, 2 stroke, 6 speed. Quite fast in it's day, until the H1 & H2 Kaw triples came along & redefined the term "quite fast". I still have it. Looks like this one, though mine has a chrome front fender, a few battle scars, & lots more dust on it:

·
It's simple physics
3,733 Posts
Me? Hell.

Very first powered two-wheeler was a lawn mower motor powered DIY welded frame mini-bike. Back when the dinosaurs ruled the earth.

Then, a SECA 750. Like this:

http://www.armslist.com/posts/31591...ca-750-shaft-drive-partial-trade-for-firearms

Rode that about 4 times, then on to the monster of rock: Kawasaki 750 GPz Turbo

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/kawasaki/kawasaki_gpz750_turbo 83.htm

At the time, this bike was pretty much the shit. Last time I looked it is still pretty respectable. Long time ago.

LR

PS - this was followed later by things like a Harley Fat Boy and other silliness. Similar to this: http://www.harley-fatboys.com/1990_Fat_Boys/1990_Harley_Fat_Boy_FLSTF_by_Lee_Custom_Cycles.php

·
It's simple physics
3,733 Posts

My first. Honda Shadow VLX. Bought it last Spring to develop some riding skills before I went out and bought a nice bike. Heavy and slow with clunky handling, but cheap and expendable. Replaced with a new Victory Octane, which became an orphan shortly thereafter. I decided to pick up a Chevy SS to add to my orphan collection. Anlyone have a Betamax for sale?
Shadow's not bad for what it is. One of Marine buddies had one (Cobra pilot, mechanical engineer). Put his through its paces.

LR

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
First bike in 1975 ,a new Honda XL 250 on off road . Got my license on it ,kick start only bike but fun to ride. Sold to my brother a few years later for a 1977, 750 super sport .many Hondas later and now on a 07 Honda ST1300 sport tourer,which I love and plan on keeping till I can no longer ride .

MIKE

·
Registered
203 Posts
first one was a Sears (Allstate) Step-thru 90cc Scooter. soon followed by this, a 305 Honda scrambler. Then a 750 Kawasaki triple a couple of 750 twins and a 1980 750 LTD, and then a monster 1983 GS 1100E Suzuki. Now I ride a 99 ZRX 1100 that is slightly modded :)

Attachments

·
got mods
2,536 Posts
Yamaha 250 Enduro, 1970 high school ride sold to buy my first car.

Tried to find a Kawasaki ZRX like this, would buy if right bike came along.......

Attachments

·
Yea, I belong to a club!
1,562 Posts
Circa 1970 DIY welded up from plans ordered out of the back pages of Boys Life Magazine, motor pulled from Dad's lawn mower.

Motor rebuilt in 8th Grade Power Mechanics Class in 1974

:lol:
First real bike was a 1972 Yamaha LT2 100cc like this one:

Many Bikes from the 70's through the mid 80's, then I got married...

·
Registered
203 Posts
Yamaha 250 Enduro, 1970 high school ride sold to buy my first car.

Tried to find a Kawasaki ZRX like this, would buy if right bike came along.......

My riding bud has one just like that that might be for sale, he keeps hinting about it as the son he bought it for has no interest. these are his and my 1100's...

Attachments

·
Kollar Racing Products
5,460 Posts
First Bike 1982 Kawasaki 305 GPZ...bought from the Hempstead police impound auction for $250 in 1982...Next 1969 Ducati 450 Scrambler.....1982 Yamaha Virago 700.....1978 HD Sportster....

Current Stable includes Elizabeth(2001 Triumph Bonneville) Lisa (1987 Honda Super Magna)and a Jessica (2001 HD Night Train)

Cant decide on my next new bike....the problem is like everything ....Every manufacturer has stepped their game for 2018

·
Send Nudes
4,569 Posts
Some little Dirt bike, then a 125cc Honda, a 400cc Bandit, and a Suzuki Marauder.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Honda CL70

Honda CL 70. In TN you get a motorcycle license at 14 for anything under 5 brake horsepower. As I remember, it would almost hit 60 mph.

[/url]Honda cl70 by Jeff M, on Flickr[/IMG]

·
got mods
2,536 Posts
First Bike 1982 Kawasaki 305 GPZ...bought from the Hempstead police impound auction for $250 in 1982...Next 1969 Ducati 450 Scrambler.....1982 Yamaha Virago 700.....1978 HD Sportster....

Current Stable includes Elizabeth(2001 Triumph Bonneville) Lisa (1987 Honda Super Magna)and a Jessica (2001 HD Night Train)

Cant decide on my next new bike....the problem is like everything ....Every manufacturer has stepped their game for 2018
Honda stepped their game up with the CB 1100 EX ......

·
BOOMER SOONER!!!
580 Posts
First was a Honda Trail 70. Then came some POS Honda that was given to us. Came in boxes and milk crates, first step father paid a shadetree $50 to put it together and get it running, 75cc IIRC. KX80, KX125, GPZ550, GSXr750. Currently riding a HD Road King, first new bike I've ever purchased.

Never thought I'd be on a Harley but I smurfing love it.

·
BOOMER SOONER!!!
580 Posts
This is my 1988 600r ninja. i believe it was obtained in 1992 with ~1700 miles, it's up to 5200ish. I haven't had much of a chance to drive it as of late..
Get on your bike and ride!!! 3,500 miles in 26 years? :scratch:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I put it back on the road in 2013, after I re-found it in my shed. Most of the miles were pre 2000. Its running again after tires,clutch,brakes and I rebuilt the 4 carbs. Just checked, I'm up to 5433. It might be time to hand it down to one of my kids after one more summer. An old guy on a Ninja, with an o2 backpack, doesn't seem quite right. Ha

·
BOOMER SOONER!!!
580 Posts
Nothing wrong with an old guy on a Ninja. If you can ride it comfortably go for it. I had a stepfather that rode a ZX10 well into his fifties. I'm betting he would have continued on for many more years had cancer not taken him.

I dumped the sport bike in my late thirties and figured I was done with 2 wheels. That GSXr was miserable to ride very far. So happy I'm back on 2 even if it is a touring bike. Most on this forum love to hate on HD but it's been a great purchase. No way the wife and I could have gone on 10 day bike trips on a sporty.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I bought a Suzuki GS500 when I was 21. First and only bike and yes I would recommend it as a first bike. Only time I could ever lift the front was powershifting to second and it was only a couple of inches. The bike was still fast compared to 90% of the cars out there and you could easily get yourself in trouble or kill yourself.

I stopped ridding altogether and sold it because I became paranoid. Too many close calls with other motorist who couldn’t drive. Too many mid-corner puckerfests when I would be leaned out and be heading straight for a patch of sand that I had no choice but to hit and hope I didn’t lay it down. I would reconsider now that I live in Utah and people drive better than MA and they don’t use sand on the roads during the winter.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts