LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Humble
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a first gear grind almost everytime i try to engage it standing still and i wont even go in if the car is in movement. Do you think this could be a cluth/pressure plate problem or am i looking at a bad synchro?

any ideas will help.

Thanks

·
Administrator
9,492 Posts
Any difficulty getting into any other gears, or just first? How does the pedal feel, normal or soft with lots of free play?

·
Humble
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The pedal feels the same and the rest of the gears go in perfectly exept off course reverse but who doesn't have problems with it?

·
Administrator
9,492 Posts
Dunno, I don't have problems with reverse. 3-R does it every time, goes right in.
Sounds like you could have a problem with first, take it in if you're still in warranty.

·
OG 05 Owner and FPFQAF
2,610 Posts
I had the same problem, my 1st, 3rd, and Reverse syncros went out at about 1500 miles, they tried to replace the syncros and kept running into problems, so they gave me a whole new tranny....put ur stock shifter back on and bring it in, if they give you shit, i can find my paperwork with my claim number and they can take it from there, since it sounds like the exact same problem and gm covered mine w/ no problem

·
9 Second Club
14,788 Posts
Couple of points.

1. I have a GMM and if the stop works its way out it can push the engagement area of the gears to the point where the car will pop out of a gear or grind. There are two stops, one for 1st, 3rd, 5th, and reverse and another for 2nd, 4th, and 6th. Check the adjustment on the stops. Normally you would experience trouble in 1st, 3rd, 5th, and reverse but its a low cost check.

2. Look at your hydraulic fluid. Don't freak out if it looks nasty but if it looks nasty and is dark and the level is low you could have boiled it. Flush it and rebleed it when you put the new clutch and flywheel in.

3. I had a guy rebuild my entire M6 last time I had it out for a clutch. There were definite issues. After 42,000 hard miles there were two broken keepers and my 1-2 synchronizer was worn badly. Shop around for someone that will rebuild it reasonably unless you are going to try a warranty job. If so, then you are right about putting the stock shift in.

4. Better yet, put the stock shifter back in, one way to ensure it isn't an adjustment problem on the shifters, and you are then ahead of the curve for the warranty fight. JMHO

·
Humble
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The part that has me thinking is that if I push it in very slowly then it works fine, also let's say i get the grind one time then i get several tries without grinding before it happens again. I would think if the synchro is bad then it would happen all the time.

·
Jersey Goat
558 Posts
It sounds like you are having the same problem as i am starting to have. Only in first, not every time. It did it 2 times today, 3 yesterday, and i think once on friday if i remember right. I have the GMM and will be checking the stops sometime next weekend. If that doesnt solve it im gonna put the stock shifter back in and drop it off at the dealer. Luckily if it gets bad i can just start off in second gear. Gotta love torque. Anyone else have other ideas on what the problem could be?

·
jetblast
1,321 Posts
m6

bleed the clutch.

·
OG 05 Owner and FPFQAF
2,610 Posts
bleed the clutch.
if he isn't experiencing it w/ other gears, its most likely not the clutch.....soulds like syncros.... got a new tranny at 2,000 miles here to to bad 1, 2, and R syncros... i always use the clutch too....15,500 trouble free miles since new tranny

·
9 Second Club
2,423 Posts
if he isn't experiencing it w/ other gears, its most likely not the clutch.....soulds like syncros.... got a new tranny at 2,000 miles here to to bad 1, 2, and R syncros... i always use the clutch too....15,500 trouble free miles since new tranny
unfortunetly I'm just going this route as well with a built tranny. I dont even want to fu$k around with the other ideas as if I get ANYMORE depressed/frustrated over my problematic tranny I going to :bomb:

John

·
CAUTION!!!!
9,883 Posts
Have you tried pumping the clutch a few times or running the shifter through the gates before you put it into first??? This always works for me. I have the same problem once in a while and the dealer (before I voided the hell out of may warranty) said it was normal (not that I believe them)

·
Jersey Goat
558 Posts
Due to the holidays and work i havent been able to do anything to my car. I have been putting it into second before i go into first and havent had a problem yet. However i find this extremly annoying so hopefully i will have time tomorrow, maybe today, to put the stock shifter back in and i will bring it to the dealer next week. Im guessin my problem is my syncro in first

·
Jersey Goat
558 Posts
Stock shifter is back in(i forgot how much this thing sucks) and its going to the dealer tomorrow. Lets see how much my service department sucks......

·
Jersey Goat
558 Posts
Took it to the dealer today, they told me its the syncro. They are gonna order the part on tuesday and are gonna call me when it comes in (late next week or early the week after) Im curious to see what kind of p.o.s. loaner they are gonna give me. They had 5 or 6 06 gto's sitting on the lot......why do i doubt they will give me one of them to drive while mine is in the shop. I can dream.....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts