LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was heading down I-5 last night after dropping my girl off at sac airport and cruising at about 80, near elk grove I pulled up next to this mustang which loooked like a done up GT but I couldnt tell so I pulled up next to him and flexed with a 5-3 downshift to see if he would take it, well he did and I wasnt ready for it at all! Plus my clutch is going out so my shifts for 2 runs were completley jacked up. Finally lined up in 3rd at 4000rpms and we both nailed it, he ever so slightly just pulled less than a car length up to 150mph with me! Im so stoked I finally got a good race in my car, especially against a $50k mustang, confidence is now back in these hands, just thought Id let ya guys know they arent so fast, but they sure are sweet.

·
Bite my shiny metal ass
7,889 Posts
Wow I thought they would walk us alot harder than that. Are you sure it was a GT500 and not one with the appearance package? Did you hear the blower? Not hating just asking. BTW nice death!!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yah I followed him off I5 and its a real GT500, they are sweet cars! Just like the cobra tho a pulley, chip and intake will get those cars scootin faster, Ill need a little work to keep up with that. Theres not going to be a lot on the road right now since dealers are trying to sell them anywhere from 50- 100k right now!

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
i seen one at the dyno that put down about 416 rwhp.

·
Bite my shiny metal ass
7,889 Posts
MattsgottaGoat said:
Yah I followed him off I5 and its a real GT500, they are sweet cars! Just like the cobra tho a pulley, chip and intake will get those cars scootin faster, Ill need a little work to keep up with that. Theres not going to be a lot on the road right now since dealers are trying to sell them anywhere from 50- 100k right now!
I would've followed him to. Congrats I think you are the 1st:burnout:

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<--- Now motivated to do more work on the Goat to get it fit for next season at the track.......

·
Warranty Killer
400 Posts
I raced one locally about a month ago, although it was really only up to about 80, and the guy BARELY pulled me. 45 to 80 wasn't much of a race, but I expected the guy to walk me quickly, which didn't happen, it HAD to be stock.

Gregg

·
Acta Non Verba
1,023 Posts
Cool_Hand_Luke said:
Good Run

The GT500 will be real beasts once their owners start to mod them. Fix the clutch and add a few mods yourself.

Look to see a rematch post after.
Yeah you guys (who've messed w/ GT500) all have stuff done to your rides and they still beat you...wait until GT500 owners start modding those things...plus you can put bigger rubber on that pig

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well for being a supercharged V8 car it didnt beat me by much, as you can see I only have LT's on my car with no tune, I bet a chunky cam + tune would spank a stock GT500. Plus the advantage over the GT500 is I could put a maggie on at anytime and be well over their blower. its all about money

·
Bite my shiny metal ass
7,889 Posts
BostonF4$ said:
Yeah you guys (who've messed w/ GT500) all have stuff done to your rides and they still beat you...wait until GT500 owners start modding those things...plus you can put bigger rubber on that pig
Yea but their mods aren't extreme or anything. Just a little more than stock. I think some of the GT500 owners will leave them stock and some will mod but I believe the vast majority will keep them stock at least this 1st year. Once the prices start getting reasonable it should get interesting. Of course alot of us will be highly modded by then:drink:

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well like I said for the price that they are paying now theyd have to have a big pocket to straight out mod those cars, hp to dollar ratio for this car is very high right now since dealers are trying to bend people over on them, so they dont get really much bang for the buck when they are paying almost 2007 Z06 prices, and gee I wonder which one is faster :sneaky:

·
Registered
335 Posts
EEZGOAT said:
i seen one at the dyno that put down about 416 rwhp.

I don't know what kind of dyno it was on to only pull 416, but I know of 2 that have dynoed from around 439rwhp before tune to 493rwhp( no other mods ) after tune and they were bone stock. Dyno Dan was the tuner and he is one of the best around here if not in the country.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Those numbers look nice...

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
MattsgottaGoat said:
Well for being a supercharged V8 car it didnt beat me by much, as you can see I only have LT's on my car with no tune, I bet a chunky cam + tune would spank a stock GT500. Plus the advantage over the GT500 is I could put a maggie on at anytime and be well over their blower. its all about money
True. In bone stock form they're a bit of a disappointment, but they do respond well to mods.

As for the "maggie" statement, I hear that here all the time and I don't buy it. Your typical Maggie GTO doesn't run much better than a decent pullied 03-04 Cobra, and a moderately boosted twin-screw car will run away and hide from it. (general statement, I'm aware there are exceptions)

On a stock or near stock LS2 (non-built motor), I'm more impressed with the N2O cars, than the blower cars.

I bet these yo-yo's out there currently paying 50k for these cars are getting a reality check when they run across some mildly modded GTOs, older Cobras, F-Bodies, etc.

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
Ironmancan said:
I would've followed him to. Congrats I think you are the 1st:burnout:
Nope. I raced one 5 weeks ago or so when the BMP group was up in Ocala. I only raced to 50 but we were side by side. This was without spray.

Good race!!!

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
BostonF4$ said:
Didn't beat me. As a matter of fact as I got above 5500 rpms I started to slowly pull but had to get out of it. On the spray I would have rapped him . . .

·
Registered
782 Posts
That's surprising good job. The GT500 is nice, and I've kicked the idea around, but honestly for much less I could put a Kenne Bell on a standard GT and have a car that is MUCH faster than a GT500, and costs much less. There was a guy at the track with a procharger on his GT and the guy was clicking off low 11's! I asked him what he pent on the Procharger, and I think he told me about 6k installed. Seems like simple math to me.

·
MMOB
1,287 Posts
FWIW I've been told that they don't fully boost for a number of miles, but I don't know if thats true or not.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts