LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if it would be safe to wait til about 1000 miles before I go ahead and do the first oil change? Reason I ask is because I know a lot of you do it earlier, so I was curious. Input would be appreciated!

Brett

·
Ludicrous Speed!
1,041 Posts
Did mine with Mobil 1 at 750 miles. Personal preference on the timing, many people shoot for 1K or later. I prefer earlier and breaking it in like I plan to drive it... run em like ya stole em is my motto.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My initial thought was between 750-1000. I have about 500 on it now, gonna take a 320 mile round trip in a week and a half, so maybe I will just do it then. Thanks for the input!

Brett

·
2004 Torrid Red GTO
1,119 Posts
you should wait until 1K miles to change out the break-in oil. This will allow enough of the metal shavings that are accumulating from the new engine block to build up. Once you flush that first 6 quarts, the crank case should be free of shavings. If you change it too early, the shavings will continue to build up in your first oil change, and that's a no-no!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RedThunder...that is my school of thought. I figure even with some hard driving, 1000 miles should be nothing big for the factory fill. I think I'll wait til 1 k unless anyone else has other ideas? Maybe I will go buy some M1 and a filter, just to have on hand when the day comes! ;)

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
500, 1000, 3000, 5000, 7000, etc!

THat's how I do mine.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, everyone. Just went and had it filled with Mobil 1. I feel much better now ;)

Brett

·
2004 Torrid Red GTO
1,119 Posts
what was your mileage -- and how much did they charge you for the synth. change?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Charged me about 48 dollars if I remember correctly, and the mileage was around 525 or something. I think next time I will bring my own oil and just see if they will charge me a minimal amount for labor.

Regards,
Brett

·
LS1/DC5/EM2
338 Posts
im not really a hard driver off the line on open roads i tend to hit but will it hurt if i change my oil later like around 1500, 2000

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
It's your car, do what you want. But there are still metal shavings and flashing circulating in the oil from break in. If you want to keep that circulating for 1,500 or more miles, like I say, it's your car...........

·
Registered
262 Posts
I changed mine at 1350'ish ... Drained and strained the oil, it was very clean... I haven't cut open the oil filter yet, I'll probably do that one of these days to see how much trash is inside. New motors are NOTHING like old-school motors. They're very clean through the break-in process as machining tolerances and processes have improved a LOT in the last 20 years.

·
Kettering University
51 Posts
Is it a fairly straight-forward oil change for a DIY? I almost always change my own oil and I'm at the 1500 mile mark...

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
True Brains, but I still have some in mine when I changed it at 3,000 miles which was my 3rd oil change on the vehicle.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I need to swap the drain plug with a magnetic version, that's one thing I thought was kinda odd... I'm curious now, maybe I'll be not busy enough to go cut the filter up tonight :)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Okay guys -- cut open the filter about a half hour ago... Seemed like a good way to waste 10 minutes on a Sunday evening :)

This is my FACTORY INSTALLED filter, changed the oil at roughly 1350 miles.. The inside of this filter looks damned near brand new. I looked through all the pleats, and found only one grain-of-sand sized aluminum flake and not much else. VERY clean for a brand new factory-built motor, I was pretty impressed.

FYI - In the pics, a lot of the "specks" you see are actually reflections from the flash.

Here's the pics:

·
No Problemo
731 Posts
With the word on new engines being clean break-ins, can I expect any better numbers out of the engine as it gets driven more? I only dynoed 288, thats with the air charger.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts