LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
third........I have a 12" W6 JLAudio Sub in the back and two amps.....running off factory stero....gives it some good thump...

·
Moving Forward
2,163 Posts
Dbluegoat said:
third........I have a 12" W6 JLAudio Sub in the back and two amps.....running off factory stero....gives it some good thump...
Can you post intructions for how you hooked up this. I am interested in how everything works with the stock system.

·
21,898 Posts
Razinhell said:
Can you post intructions for how you hooked up this. I am interested in how everything works with the stock system.

Well I would if possible, but I had it professionally installed.....They pulled the head unit out....I can probably get some details from them if you want?

·
Moving Forward
2,163 Posts
Dbluegoat said:
Well I would if possible, but I had it professionally installed.....They pulled the head unit out....I can probably get some details from them if you want?
Well if your using the stock radio and you have an amp attached to it, that would mean there is a pre-amp connector. There might also be other connections that are available on the stock head unit that may allow everyone to connect an MP3 player or other input as well as other outputs. Just a thought, don't go out of your way for me i don'y own a GTO yet, but it might help others.

293 Posts
Razinhell said:
to hook up subs, you need an amp to drive them. since the stock deck does not have RCAs (the red and white plugs) in the back you need a line output converter. high quality ones are available at

http://www.davidnavone.com/adaptor_products.htm

you basically take your speaker wires and splice in the adaptor, which connects to RCA cables that you run to the amp and subs. you can also use this method to connect an amp to power your internal speakers if you want.

what i'd like to see is somebody figure out a way to hook up the steering wheel controls to an aftermarket deck. the aftermarket deck can provide better signal processing (24 bit D/A converters) and better EQ processing instead of the normal bass/treble adjustment

·
Registered
188 Posts
Just to add a couple things... Depending on the type of amplifier you buy, you do not necessarily have to use the box that turns your speaker outputs into RCA jacks. If your amp has high level inputs, you can use the speaker outputs from the deck to the high level inputs on the amp.

Keep in mind though, if you use your factory deck, the sound quality will not be what you think it will be. There is also features that you will not get. For example, if you want to turn the bass of your subs down, or lower any band on the eq... I definitely recommend aftermarket decks.

Unfortunately I don't have my GTO yet, but will very soon and have not yet tested this but, there is a manufacturer that makes an aftermarket hook up so that the steering wheel buttons work with an aftermarket deck. I have one now on my 99 monte carlo. On my car, it is one wire that comes from the steering wheel buttons. It uses resistance to tell the radio what button is pushed. By splicing that wire into a separate box, you can program the steering wheel buttons. There is one catch...Your aftermarket deck has to be able to receive infrared signals (the radio must come with a remote). The company that makes this is PAC (Pacific Accessory Corporation; www.pac-audio.com). The model for my car is swi-x. Like I said though, until I get my GTO I don't know if it will work. Hope this helps out...

·
Registered
223 Posts
Dbluegoat said:
Question: Does the addition of bigger subs and more powerful amp allow the overall stereo volume to go louder? I figured that the limiting factor to the stock volume is the power required to drive the subs. I was thinking about simply putitng a more powerful amp in to drive the stock subs.

Chris

·
21,898 Posts
chris_wiz said:
Question: Does the addition of bigger subs and more powerful amp allow the overall stereo volume to go louder? I figured that the limiting factor to the stock volume is the power required to drive the subs. I was thinking about simply putitng a more powerful amp in to drive the stock subs.

Chris
I don't know how far the volume is supposed to go but I can run mine up to 50 and pretty much blow my ears out with heavy bass.....It really does not sound bad at all with the factory head unit. I got all JL speakers and subs and amps a 300/1 amp and 500/1 amp....The sub was built into a ported box....I could have had two 12's but then there would be no trunk left.

·
Registered
223 Posts
04bluegto said:
volume limit wont go higher but, with the amps the lower the volume the louder it will sound compared to no amps.
That's what I was thinking ... the numerical limit is the same, but with greater effect. Thanks

Cue Spinal Tap:
Nigel Tufnel: The numbers all go to eleven. Look, right across the board, eleven, eleven, eleven and...
Marty DiBergi: Oh, I see. And most amps go up to ten?
Nigel Tufnel: Exactly.
Marty DiBergi: Does that mean it's louder? Is it any louder?
Nigel Tufnel: Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?
Marty DiBergi: I don't know.
Nigel Tufnel: Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?
Marty DiBergi: Put it up to eleven.
Nigel Tufnel: Eleven. Exactly. One louder.
Marty DiBergi: Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?
Nigel Tufnel: [Pause] These go to eleven.

293 Posts
bob_50 said:
Unfortunately I don't have my GTO yet, but will very soon and have not yet tested this but, there is a manufacturer that makes an aftermarket hook up so that the steering wheel buttons work with an aftermarket deck. I have one now on my 99 monte carlo. On my car, it is one wire that comes from the steering wheel buttons. It uses resistance to tell the radio what button is pushed. By splicing that wire into a separate box, you can program the steering wheel buttons. There is one catch...Your aftermarket deck has to be able to receive infrared signals (the radio must come with a remote). The company that makes this is PAC (Pacific Accessory Corporation; www.pac-audio.com). The model for my car is swi-x. Like I said though, until I get my GTO I don't know if it will work. Hope this helps out...
yea i've heard of this before but never seen it in action. where did you mount the IR transmitter? in the center console? how well does it work? do you ever have problems with it? i always thought the shifter or my arm would get in the way and bock the IR signal. my current deck has a steering wheel mounted IR remote and it really sucks ass. it doesn't work in bright sunlight or when i'm turning (it won't be aimed right unless the steering wheel is at center). i'd be really interested to find out which models of alpine decks it can hook up to directly instead of using the IR that would be sweet. . .

·
Registered
188 Posts
I actually mounted the ir transmitter behind the rear view mirror with the beam facing down towards the deck. It took me about 15 minutes to bend the wire into a permanent position but you could never tell it was there unless you looked behind the mirror. It works very well, no problems at all. The only thing I ran into was the wire from the box to the ir end needed to be longer, so I cut the wire and just soldered and shrink tubed an extra wire to make it longer. I installed a bad ass system in my buddy's trans am. He has an alpine deck. I don't remember what model, but we did it about a year or 2 ago and it works fine. I do know, however, that it will not work with Pioneer's avx-7300 dvd deck with screen. I don't know why, but I can't get it to work. Haven't tried tech support yet. I will talk to some people I know in the business, and maybe they have other ideas. I will let you know if I here about anything else.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts