LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I hack cars.
8,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this was the last thing I expected to get as my first race, I was on the highway cruising at about 78 up I-75 on my way home from Detroit when all of a sudden a silver 03/04 Cobra droptop (top up) popped up next to me. I had seen him get on the freeway about 5 cars behind me but didn't think much of it. The driver with his son in the car pulled ahead a bit then dropped next to me and downshifted and rev'd like he wanted to go. The first time I was lazy and just threw it in fourth and matted it up to about 100 I had about a car and a half to two cars then. The NEXT time he did it with an even more aggressive downshift so I threw it in third, by 115 I had about 4-5 cars on him, I about died since the Cobra should be WAY into its powerband by then. I was suprised, and he was REALLY pissed, I tried to give him thumbs up but he did about a 120 mph ricer flyby and jumped the next RIGHT hand exit from the FAR left lane.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
nice kill. too bad for him that he didn't notice your plates and badges before he picked the fight.

·
I hack cars.
8,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think he might of actually, he was hangin around at my rear quarter for awhile I think he just wanted to see ;)

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
So let's see, we should go post this to all the GTO boards, then the LS1 boards, then the Mustang boards, then the 350z boards, and RX7 boards....

Right?

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
GTP,

Do you have a Maggie installed on your car? I see that your avatar mentions it but your sig has nothing about it.

Doc

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
Almost forgot, nice kill. Isn't a Cobra worth 3 points???

Doc

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good kill, I was going to raise my BS flag until I saw the avatar text. You have a nice setup you should definitely list your mods in your sig.

- LT1Firebird

·
Resident Douche M3 Driver
1,597 Posts
Nice kill.

What kind of boost are you pushing? I heard the Magna Charger is good for around 7psi on a stock LS1 and pushes around 450 rwhp. It just seems putting 4-5 cars on a Cobra from a roll up to 115 is a bit much. I'm not saying this didn't happen, because if he was stock, and with your mods you should have beaten him, but I'm thinking it would have been maybe a car length.

No flames please, I'm just curious.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Grey03Cobra said:
Nice kill.

What kind of boost are you pushing? I heard the Magna Charger is good for around 7psi on a stock LS1 and pushes around 450 rwhp. It just seems putting 4-5 cars on a Cobra from a roll up to 115 is a bit much. I'm not saying this didn't happen, because if he was stock, and with your mods you should have beaten him, but I'm thinking it would have been maybe a car length.

No flames please, I'm just curious.

I am curious as to the answers to these questions as well.

·
GO STEELERS!
5,106 Posts
I don't know but I've noticed a trend of the GTO really putting some distance on cars when racing from a roll at 50 or higher.

·
I...I...I got Nothin
961 Posts
It takes alot of effort to get this car moving. But when it is ...still takes some effort, (j/k) :p

I figure with the weight the car has, you really start to notice the difference between a car that makes all it's torque in the low and midrange (like an LT-1) vs a car that makes its best power in the mid to upper range. JMHO.

·
Resident Douche M3 Driver
1,597 Posts
Fast GTO said:
I don't know but I've noticed a trend of the GTO really putting some distance on cars when racing from a roll at 50 or higher.
That's true, because the weight of the car has been overcome by inertia (the weight of the car is already moving), but the Cobra is the same way. My car seems to really move out from a 45mph roll. The GTO is heavy, but only weighs 75 lbs more than a Cobra.

I would imagine if we were to compare dyno graphs with a 03/04 Cobra and a Magna Charged GTO (at similar boost levels) the graphs would look similar. What the Cobra lacks in displacement and higher compression it makes up with better breathing heads and cams designed to work with a supercharger.

Personally I think the SC GTO's are bad ass, the ultimate sleeper.

Either way, I doubt a stock Cobra could beat a Magna-charged GTO, but I have a hard time seeing 5 car lengths from a roll. When I was putting down 483rwhp I could only put about 2 cars on a stock Cobra from a 50mph roll to 100mph. ( a race that only lasted about 5 seconds)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts