LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Step into the Torque
Joined
·
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the SLP day at E-town NJ and ran the GTO for the first time. I did ok, I launched a little to easy and probably could have launched harder. But the GTO I raced in time trials launched too hard and got a lot of wheelspin. I was happy with my results for now, especially with only 700 miles on the engine so far. I only made one run and I will probably go back in the spring when the engine is a little more broken in.

The car was not prepped in anyway, less than 1/4 gas, and the engine was cool. Running all the F-bodies and every other car there first, allowed it 2 hours to cool down, and then only 4 GTO's ran the first time trial so I didnt sit in line idleing long.

Results were:

RT ... .828 - just trying to launch the car correctly, not caring about the RT
60' ... 2.289 - i think i could have hit the gas harder and cut this a bit
1/8 ... 9.30 @78.03mph
1/4 ... 14.347 @ 97.58mph

I will be posting pics on a website later. but here is one picture of my slip and of 2 other GTOs lining up, the silver one in my rearview is the one i ran against. pretty cool shot i must say.
 

·
Master of Youngrushhour
Joined
·
4,318 Posts
It was nice seeing you there. At each event a few more goats show up. See you in the spring.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
Quick question, what is the best launch tactic with the A4? I have seen a few posts that say start in 2nd, 3rd, use the brake/rev, etc. What method are you finding gives the best times?
 

·
Step into the Torque
Joined
·
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
straegen said:
Quick question, what is the best launch tactic with the A4? I have seen a few posts that say start in 2nd, 3rd, use the brake/rev, etc. What method are you finding gives the best times?
I had mine in D, i only ran the car once so i didnt try any other tactics/strategies yet. But i preloaded the rear wheels "Launch mode" by power braking a little. not a whole lot, maybe got the tach just over 1000 rpm. then i let go of the brake and went full throttle, but i think i went Wide open a little slower than i could have. i didnt want to slam the pedal down, i thought that might get me too much wheel spin.

the track seemed really sticky, so i think i could have hit the gas harder and got down to maybe a 14.0 if i hit it right. but i will try again most likely in the spring and run more than once so I can get to try some other strategies.

also my strategy was the stage shallow. i rolled ever so slowly until the staged light came on, and hit the brake. that way you get a few inches to roll before the clock starts.

the GTO i raced must have hit the gas too hard or power braked too much cause he got a lot of wheelspin and bad 60 foot and 1/4 times.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
262 Posts
Don't put the selector in 2, or you'll actually be starting out -- in 2nd gear... talk about sluggish :) Just put it in 3 and let 'er rip...

FYI -- for those curious, the 4L60e is set up to apply the overrun clutch ONLY in the manual selector positions 1, 2 and 3. If you select D, the overrun clutch is released. What does the overrun clutch do? Well, for one it provides engine braking.. Unsure what that is? Try this: put the selector in D, accelerate to 60MPH and let off the gas. Now do the same thing from 40MPH but put the selector in 3.. Which one slows the car faster? Basically the overrun clutch applies to allow the engine to put drag on the driveline and help slow you down when you let off the gas. It doesn't apply in D to help save gas. ANYWAY ... An added benefit of applying the overrun clutch is when you're applying engine power, the clutch is holding in the same manner as the low roller clutch (sprag). Since the sprag is a commonly broken part in the transmission, having a clutch pack also holding will greatly help prevent breakage...
 

·
4L60E+moded ls1+saudi = bad
Joined
·
710 Posts
Brains said:
Don't put the selector in 2, or you'll actually be starting out -- in 2nd gear... talk about sluggish :) Just put it in 3 and let 'er rip...

FYI -- for those curious, the 4L60e is set up to apply the overrun clutch ONLY in the manual selector positions 1, 2 and 3. If you select D, the overrun clutch is released. What does the overrun clutch do? Well, for one it provides engine braking.. Unsure what that is? Try this: put the selector in D, accelerate to 60MPH and let off the gas. Now do the same thing from 40MPH but put the selector in 3.. Which one slows the car faster? Basically the overrun clutch applies to allow the engine to put drag on the driveline and help slow you down when you let off the gas. It doesn't apply in D to help save gas. ANYWAY ... An added benefit of applying the overrun clutch is when you're applying engine power, the clutch is holding in the same manner as the low roller clutch (sprag). Since the sprag is a commonly broken part in the transmission, having a clutch pack also holding will greatly help prevent breakage...
i know D is bad at least for me.
i tried 0-60 tests

with D i couldnt get it under 6.4
by selecting 1-2 i got 5.7

i know the GTO can do better but we have a slightly smaller rear end.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
Brains said:
Don't put the selector in 2, or you'll actually be starting out -- in 2nd gear... talk about sluggish :) Just put it in 3 and let 'er rip...
Do you rev the engine at all while holding the brake in while in 3 or do you two foot the brake and gas letting of the brake at the same moment you hit the gas?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
262 Posts
Watching data on the laptop, it appears better to LIGHTLY hold the throttle and smoothly ease into the throttle. If you brake torque until the tires want to spin, or if you just stab the gas off idle the PCM sees a bunch of knock retard (false?) and pulls a bunch of timing. By rolling into the throttle I've been able to keep the knock retard down and get out of the hole a lot faster..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
Brains said:
Watching data on the laptop, it appears better to LIGHTLY hold the throttle and smoothly ease into the throttle. If you brake torque until the tires want to spin, or if you just stab the gas off idle the PCM sees a bunch of knock retard (false?) and pulls a bunch of timing. By rolling into the throttle I've been able to keep the knock retard down and get out of the hole a lot faster..
Thanks for the info. I know a lot about electrical systems and audio, but know zip about this kind of stuff. Interesting change of pace for me and can't wait to dive into the modding world.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top