LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Guys,

I just read the other thread and decided to share my experience at NED on Friday night. I made the journey with 2 buddies of mine driving mid 90's Mustangs.

Well, tech took a loooonnngggg time, so there was plenty of time to chat with the other guys. I drew a crowd just by the sound of the exhaust and the color of the car "Yellow Jacket". :) Everyone kept asking if I had made changes to it. I smiled and said nope, the car is completely stock right down to the paper air filter. Then the compliments on the looks started coming. Everyone was pleasantly surprised that the car looked MUCH better in person than the pictures in the magazines. That the interior was great, commenting on the colored gauges, the silver trim, the embroidered GTO lettering on the seat back.

A lot of people didn't think the car was even out yet. Most thought that it was supposed to be released this coming fall. Not sure how the advertising is going, but I myself have yet to even see a commercial for the car on TV. I know that I don't watch much TV, but I watch Speed Channel on a regular basis!?!

Ok, back to the track. In all the times that I have been to NED I have never seen this many people there. At one point all 6 staging lanes were full and there was a line of cars that had just raced waiting to be staged. It was total and utter chaos. Many, many break downs on the track. etc... We got there at 6 PM (yea, a little late). I finally got to make my first run at 7:30. I line up against a Z06 Vette. Just my luck, first time back at the track with a 6 speed since 1999 (97 WS6) and it is against a vette. Well, knuckle head that I am I forgot to turn the traction control off!!! :slap: :slap: Do I even need to post the numbers!?! Sure why not I'll embarrass myself. 14.733 @ 96.67... Gak, that was slower than my 02 GTP by a long shot. Geesh. Anyway, I had been talking to the guy in the vette, he ran a 12.779 @ 113.38 by the way. He came up and asked me what happened. I explained everything and we both had a good laugh.

Ok, next run was at 8:15, yup 45 minutes to make another run. Traction Control was OFF this time. I lined up against a Grand Am with the SC package. Ok, not too much pressure here... :) I slip the clutch and was spinning some, and then the rear broke loose and I started getting the IRS hop so I let off. My 60' ended up being a 2.436. Not good. I also got a little more than a chirp shifting into second, traction wasn't that great. Anyway, I ended up running a 14.298 @ 100.76.

Too many people to bother waiting for another run, so I head home...

What I learned... I have a long way to go to master driving this car and I have lost that certain launching finesse since owning my 97 WS6 of which I ran a 13.8xx at 10x.xx. I know the track had some issues, the tires don't grip that well, but the car has it without a doubt. I just wasn't up to the challenge, but I will be back that is for sure.

Cheers!!!

~MattS

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
I have the bug. Bad. My new friends tell me the track where I made my first ever (in ANY car) runs is pure crap. They are sure I'd turn better numbers on a better track. My 60' times were high for two reasons. I literally babied her off the line to keep from spinning and then suffered horrible wheel hop at the 1st to 2nd shift. (I have posted these same excuses in numerous threads.) ;)

Anyway, my Nitto 555R drag radials are on order and I am really looking forward to racing again. The folks on this forum warned me that once I got started I wouldn't be able to stop, and they were right!

·
Kernal Sanders
0 Posts
your experience sounds almost Identical to myn. 1st run was a 14.4X I launched at 1500 and dropped the clutch cause i was too excited next I had horrid wheel hop more than a chirp from 1-2 but got down to 14.1 those runs were about 45 min apart. then people left all of a sudden and I got 2 runs in, in 6 min. But on run 1 i missed 3rd ( how embarassing) and run 4 I had 0 traction and spun thru 1st 2nd and just into 3rd left off of it....(about to hit the wall) the guy giving the slips out said " that was one hell of a burn out" lol then my friends wanted to leave =( i didnt really accomplish shit only got 2 decent runs in...

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Matt, sounds like you set the bar. I have yet to go there. The one day I had planned a trip it rained. No offence but I'm glad your numbers aren't that good only so I don't look like a total fool when I try. (I really hope you do better next time)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mlc said:
Matt, sounds like you set the bar. I have yet to go there. The one day I had planned a trip it rained. No offence but I'm glad your numbers aren't that good only so I don't look like a total fool when I try. (I really hope you do better next time)
MLC,

My buddies and I will be heading there again in a couple weeks. Should be fun. Two 5.0 Mustangs and a TT Stealth (Recently rebuilt motor). I'll post here or PM you when we firm up the date and maybe we can hook up.

·
3,327 Posts
cjlannoy said:
just curious what it costs to make a run?
I havent gone yet, but it is 10 bucks to line up for the test and tune at our local track.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cjlannoy said:
On week nights it is $17.00 to race as many runs as you can fit in. Most of the time you can fit in about a half dozen or so. Except when it is really busy like Friday night.

On Saturday's, which are test and tune days it is $25.00. The benefit is that the track is prepped MUCH better than during the week and there are usually fewer people.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
MattSaint said:
MLC,

My buddies and I will be heading there again in a couple weeks. Should be fun. Two 5.0 Mustangs and a TT Stealth (Recently rebuilt motor). I'll post here or PM you when we firm up the date and maybe we can hook up.
Send me email when you know.

·
God Bless Texas!
2,284 Posts
cjlannoy said:

Hey cjlannoy,

How far are you from Union Grove? I used to run there YEARS ago when I lived in Mundelien Ill. :)

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
Blitzu said:
I live in Vernon Hills, so I am up at GLD all the time. I am trying to set it up to go there Saturday, don't know if I will run the goat or not.
Tell me when you go to GLD, i'm in naperville.

·
I did a bad, bad thing
1,450 Posts
cjlannoy said:
$15 bucks all night long here :)

MattSaint, it sounds to me like you just need to invest in some drag radials. I used to own a rwd vehicle and that's typically the biggest issue when it comes to drag racing - traction.

Get some Nitto DRs or ET Streets, get 'em nice and warm, and then let loose. I wouldn't go for slicks until you beef up your rear end considerably though, I've seen quite a few IRS's bite the dust on cars with slicks.

Remember, practice makes perfect :) :drink:

·
Feynman fan
2,336 Posts
STi said:
Remember, practice makes perfect :) :drink:
Practice makes perverts, too - but that's a completely different forum... ;)

·
I did a bad, bad thing
1,450 Posts
gto_in_nc said:
Practice makes perverts, too - but that's a completely different forum... ;)
Don't be besmearching what I'm sayin! :drink: :drink: :drink:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts