LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I made it out to the track tonight for the first time ever in my life (as a driver). I didn't crash, and I didn't break anything, so I'd call it a success! :)

My best reaction time was .308 (lots of room for improvement). My best I1 (60ft?) was 1.970, and my best E.T. was 12.768 @ 111.921. I know the car is capable of better, so I have lots of practice ahead of me.

The hardest part for me was getting used to launching it at the track. My first couple of launches were pretty nasty, but they got better.

I watched the video of the runs, and the rear end definitely sags way too much, and wheel hop was a problem. I have stiffer springs, drag bags, driveshaft, and a diff insert coming, but our track closes for the season after this weekend. :(

I'm running Nitto 555 DRs (285) right now. I ran them at 19 pounds. How much better off will I be with slicks?

One other question... Do you guys power shift when at the track? I can't on the street or the car just wants to slide off the road, but I think at the track I could. I didn't have the nerve to try it today. I was focussing on not hitting the wall, hitting gears, etc.

·
What's in your wallet?
1,784 Posts
Although powershifting isnt the greatest for the trans, it's the only way to race a stick car at the track. You can shave some time off your ET when powershifting. Wouldnt make a steady diet of it though....

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
I wish my first time was in the 12's. Nice runs. There is alot of work for most beginners. It is fun, even if you lost to the other car.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
johnebgoode said:
Although powershifting isnt the greatest for the trans, it's the only way to race a stick car at the track. You can shave some time off your ET when powershifting. Wouldnt make a steady diet of it though....
Can the T56 be built to consistently handle the powershifts, or is it bad no matter how well the tranny is built?

·
Missing my little one.
21,341 Posts
Congrats...lots of people getting out there on the track finally. I'm one of em :)

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
City Goat said:
Congrats...lots of people getting out there on the track finally. I'm one of em :)
The bad thing... it's like a drug. I want more. :turbonaug

My wife does not have the same feelings. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
sdgoat said:
Can the T56 be built to consistently handle the powershifts, or is it bad no matter how well the tranny is built?
stage 2 or 3 clutch matched with a light flywheel, that will take some heavy abuse and handle all the horsepower u throw at it, well up to about 450 or so i think at satge 3, not sure about that for goat clutches. but if you want to abuse it, get a new clutch setup

1 - 8 of 8 Posts