LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will be visiting the Keys in Late November and want to do some bridge fishing in Islamorada. I am driving down ( No GTO) So I would like some input at to what gear to bring. What test line gaff hooks steel leaders etc. I hear that Rapala's crank baits work well. I plan on a lot of catch and release. Any input would be great.

I have done the charter thing and have had my share of it. I just want to chill on the bridge with a few beers and soak up some sun and fish..

·
mid-11 second club
1,151 Posts
the only bridge fishing i have done is just south of marathon, and caught a few snook and tarpon.

i have used shrimp, i wasnt real big into it, but if i talk to my friend soon i will ask him, he did it all his life.

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rosm187 said:
the only bridge fishing i have done is just south of marathon, and caught a few snook and tarpon.

i have used shrimp, i wasnt real big into it, but if i talk to my friend soon i will ask him, he did it all his life.
Thanks

·
Unnaturally Aspirated
798 Posts
yeah all my fishing has been off of islamorada or marathon, but it's mostly been a couple miles off shore. My on island time is for partying heh.

Isn't islamorada where the sandbar is near that one bridge? Great parties there sometimes.

·
Let's race, punk.
11,469 Posts
Let me know if you EVER come near Orlando

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
hell we need to have a south florida meet if the HOLE man is coming down

·
Registered
222 Posts
You can get some nice mango snapper fishing the brigdes at nite, some up to 5lbs. 20LB main line and 25 to 30 leader, about 4 ft long, a sliding sinker about 1 to 3oz depending on current. I use double hooks, that means i open the eye of one hook and place the barb of the other hook thru it, then clamp back the eye so the hook wont come out, 5/0 Mustads should do fine.

I would use local live bait, like white baits , green backs or small pinfish.

For Tarpon and snook 40 to 80lb line is needed around pilings!

I've been fishing offshore all over the gulf from 10 to 200 miles offshore, and love snapper and grouper fishing.

Chas

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Dbluegoat said:
hell we need to have a south florida meet if the HOLE man is coming down
Keys Goat meet.... :drink: :judge: :turbonaug

·
Unnaturally Aspirated
798 Posts
chasp said:
You can get some nice mango snapper fishing the brigdes at nite, some up to 5lbs. 20LB main line and 25 to 30 leader, about 4 ft long, a sliding sinker about 1 to 3oz depending on current. I use double hooks, that means i open the eye of one hook and place the barb of the other hook thru it, then clamp back the eye so the hook wont come out, 5/0 Mustads should do fine.

I've been fishing offshore all over the gulf from 10 to 200 miles offshore, and love snapper and grouper fishing.

Chas
last time I was in the keys fishing it was a good time for dolphin. We caught quite a bit, one time a school came up around our boat just biting at anything. I ended up throwing down the rod and skimming the water with the net and ended up pulling in a 11lb and a 14lb. Talk about an easy catch. They may as well jumped in the boat.

·
The Psycho 10 sec. Goat
1,968 Posts
Blast2Hell said:
last time I was in the keys fishing it was a good time for dolphin. We caught quite a bit, one time a school came up around our boat just biting at anything. I ended up throwing down the rod and skimming the water with the net and ended up pulling in a 11lb and a 14lb. Talk about an easy catch. They may as well jumped in the boat.
Yea, when they get that way you can throw down a naked hook and they'll bite.

You've got the Channel 5 bridge just south of Islamorada (71-72 mile marker). I think it is the first big bridge, next is the Long Key bridge (mile marker 68?). Then, down at Marathon you have the 7 mile bridge. I'd recommend the Channel 5 bridge, because, just north of there, there is some good pub/nightclub action right there around Caloosa Cove. Don't know how things are in November, we always went down in August. Also, if you have a hurricane blowing through, all bets are off.

God, I love the Keys. Been a damn long time since I've been down there. That's okay, project SBC+Mercruiser Alpha is underway. Should be able to go next August.

·
Objects in mirror dont matter
3,777 Posts
chasp said:

Chas
This man is right. I fish a lot too. Make sure you go to a real baitshop and check the latest local rules. Fl is great for fishing, but you do not want to be caught with the wrong type/size fish if it is out of season....
http://www.floridasportsman.com/reference/regs_by_species/

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the responses. Anymore?

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alright Keys folks. Leaving Monday morning. Was just looking for last minute info as to what tackle to bring. Like hook type and size, lure's. I am taking med tackle poles with 20 lb line with 24 inch 30lb steel leaders. Do I need a gaff or just a good landing net?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts