LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We did a test fit. Anyone think I should go for it. 18X8.5 38mm with 275/35zr-18 (We will need to roll the fenders) 17X8 with the stock 245/45zr17 on the front. Fittipaldi Force Silver Machined.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
It's a great looking wheel. I'm not a big fan of fender rolling but i can see the logic for more tire. I'm thinking more along the lines of ROH Snypers with a offset that doesn't need rolling, 245 front 275 rear in 17's.

I do like the Fittipaldis :)

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not to thrilled about rolling either, especially a brand new car. I'm still arguing with myself about it. The voices in my head may not really be there, but for some reason, they always have good ideas...

·
Est. Apr 2004
5,861 Posts
I like the design of the wheel but it almost looks too small. Like the gap between the rubber and the fender is larger than stock.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 275/35-18 is actually .10mm shorter than stock. It’s not enough of a difference to through off the speedo. Its all an optical illusion I guess… We were noticing that the tire gap seems to be more than that too. I am not sure if the center cap will fit. We forgot to check.

·
MAX-M6/LS1
223 Posts
The wheels look good, I wonder if they have them in chrome. I have had problems in the past wheel alum. whheels having the clear protective coating coming off. It only comes off in places so the wheels look blotchy.
And I don't see anything wrong with your Judge Sticker, if thats what you want , go for it. After all THE JUDGE was a GTO

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
You can get them at Tires.com. The chrome may need to be special ordered. I usually talk to Dave at Ext. 418.

18X8.5 5-120 38SM 262.00
17X8 5-120 38C 360.00
17X8 5-120 38SM 235.00
18X8.5 5-120 38C 377.00
245/45ZR-17 95Y B BFG G-FORCE T/A KDW 174.00
275/35R-18 95Y B BFG G-FORCE T/A KDW 236.00

If the wheels are less than a year old, the manufacturer will usually take care of clear coat issues.

I like the retro Judge sticker. Its all in the eye of the beholder.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I guess I don't understand what rolling a fender is. Why would you need to roll the fenders if the wheel has more space around it with those tires on it than they had with the stock wheels. Doesn't rolling the fenders give you more clearance?

P.S. I do like those wheels and that the size I was wanting, 275/35ZR 18 on the rear to get better traction.

·
Est. Apr 2004
5,861 Posts
Bin4ry said:
how much would a professional roll job cost?
depends on the girl..... :gr_jest:

·
GO STEELERS!
5,106 Posts
Do the 17.8 fit without rolling?

And do they make 17x9?

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
Fender rolling...Well, ideally, they use this gadget that bolts to your hub (wherever the bolts are that hold the wheel on, hope I'm using the right word) and has rubber rollers on the end. You heat the fender so the paint doesn't crack, and then you run the gadget back and forth over the inside of the fender, and that slowly compresses inward and upward the lip that you feel if you run your hand inside the fender. Thus giving you more space for your wheel to fit within.

Here's a link (ignore the title on the page).

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is not a fitment that will be on the Discount Tire website. It’s a real aggressive fitment with the 275/35-18 if you want to stay close to the stock height. It will fit without rolling the fender, but if you hit a bump or you put weight in the back seat or if you have an automatic that squats when you rev it up (or if the ol’ goat is a rockin’!!!), the tire will definitely hit the fender. Rolling is the only way this fitment will really work..

Phobos512 is correct in the way rolling is done.

·
Registered
298 Posts
OK, that's pretty much what I thought it was for. So, that brings me to my other question. Why do you need to roll the fenders on the 18.8.5 with the 275/35 when it looks like there was plenty of clearance? Does the picture just make it look like there's clearance but the tires are really rubbing on the fenders?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The fitment will work and it won't rub, unless you hit a bump or have a person in the back seat. The reason is that the fender has a lip going inwards. This lip is about 3/4 of an inch. This is mostly what you will be rolling. The problem is that you need to make sure that the paint wont chip because the paint goes under along the lip area, hence the heating. Look at the picture and you will see that the tire is almost flush with the car's fender. Because of the lip, it will need to be rolled.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts