LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered Gator
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought this was worth a new thread. This weekend I was talking to some FHP officers while they were getting their Vics serviced and they mentioned the following:

FWIW : Effective Oct 1st any driver ticketed for 30 mph over posted in Florida will no longer be charged $311.50 . Instead the ticket will require a Mandatory Court Appearance where the Judge of that County will determine the fine. The talk is that the Judge's will then issue $500-$600 fines in an effort to slow the excessive speeders down...

I had not heard of this change and/or tryed to find the new law online , just wanting to pass it along...:)

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
I try to always stay just under 25 over.......

·
Registered Gator
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My thoughts were that the 101 in a 70 was less of a temptation , but the 66 in a 35 from showing a Fart tube my rearend is such an easy SEG.:gears: Even my slightly modded A4 is so easy to exceed 30 over from a street dig - can't imagine keeping a Maggie quiet when confronted...:burnout:

·
GTO = Pontiac shenanigans
3,689 Posts
Damn

Well thanks for the heads up Gville. Figures it was only a matter of time though. Florida is the WORSE and highest for fines when it comes to speeding, it is so f'n ridiculous at times you just want to friggin yell. Just 2 days ago my neighbor got a ticket for 5 friggin 5 mph over the limit on Main St. come on now that is ridiculous speed limit is 60 mph.

·
Non Denominational Car Nut
2,347 Posts
I dont know about north florida but in south florida if you get stopped for speeding you were frigging flying.. 10 over is the normal driving speed when its not rush hour at which time the speed drops down to -5.
Regardless ,1mph over is still breaking the law,,do I do it? of course.. We all do. Its still illegal though..

·
3,689 Posts
HTRDLNCN said:
I dont know about north florida but in south florida if you get stopped for speeding you were frigging flying.. 10 over is the normal driving speed when its not rush hour at which time the speed drops down to -5.
Regardless ,1mph over is still breaking the law,,do I do it? of course.. We all do. Its still illegal though..

I agree but come on how often do you get a ticket for 65 in a 60....that's just being a ball breaker in my opinion.

·
Former user
3,861 Posts
The Rock said:
I agree but come on how often do you get a ticket for 65 in a 60....that's just being a ball breaker in my opinion.

6 MPH or less over the speed limit is supposed to be a warning not a ticket. At least for Hillsborough county anyway.

·
3,689 Posts
HTRDLNCN said:
or doing your job..
just depends what side of the fence your on.
;)

Touche...But you get more bees with honey then with vinegar. (ie could have cut a break) Im assuming that you are on the giving side of the fence :)

·
2,347 Posts
oh hell no,,you couldnt pay me enough..I have just skated more than enough times to take my lumps even when they are not that desereved..

·
Gas/Tires/Oil
116 Posts
I was reading in the Florida Today paper last month that they are stopping with the 5 mph grace. If I remember right it's all up to the cops. 1 thru 4 mph 50 bucks, before it was a warning. Then any faster you go they add 50 bucks to what the ticket would have been. From south to north Florida. We Floridian's doubled the deaths in speeding and drinking and driving. Also what you said about the 30 over was on the news as well.

·
2,347 Posts
It has always been a law that an officer can arrest you for 30 over they just rarely enforce that law. They can also give you a "reckless endangerment" for 30over if they wanted to,,almost as bad as a DUI when it comes to your insurance.. Something to think about next time soemone feels the need to race on the highway.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Blah, just one more reason why I hate "The Man". Tryin to turn us all into a bunch of weiners without ambition or desire. I mean, the purpose of driving is to get there faster. If you're not going to get there as fast as possible, then you might as well walk, chump. Mandatory court appearances are BS too, that's why you pay a lawyer to go there for you. The purpose of the law is not to oppress people and the purpose of the police is not to intimidate the people. Keep on speeding, challenge every ticket to clog up the court, then appeal everything. Sure you may still have to pay, but at least you didn't make it easy for them to screw you. Maybe they'll get the point that if everyone does it, it's obviously not a crime.

·
I hate NASCAR
788 Posts
I heard about this new law too. I guess I will have to curb my occassional 70mph to 110mph blasts merging onto my favorite stretch of interstate highway.... Wonder what the judge will be saying for 40mph+ over??? :shiner:

·
Hammer of Justice
722 Posts
yeah im in court right now for 65 in a 30..... it was down a freakin alley, which is appartnly only a 30..... it was just an access road

$311.50 is what i was supposed to pay, that is already super sever, thats a week and a half at work

·
Registered
155 Posts
dredz172 said:
yeah im in court right now for 65 in a 30..... it was down a freakin alley, which is appartnly only a 30..... it was just an access road

$311.50 is what i was supposed to pay, that is already super sever, thats a week and a half at work
I got one on labor day on 520 heading towards orlando from our wonderful state troopers. I got busted doing 80 in a 45.:bomb:
It's $266 if i got to class and no points. I think i'll go that route.

·
Left Lane Moses
337 Posts
I think the whole concept of ticketing for speed is ridiculous. Speed doesn't kill - incompetent driving kills.

In our state they give people a license for taking a 30 question test and driving around a bunch of cones. In driver's ed classes I hear they are now telling the kids its ok to come to a complete stop at the top of an interstate onramp and look over their left shoulder before trying to merge.
So if you have a ride and a ballpoint pen, you get a license in Florida. No one knows anything about vehicle physics, but they damn sure can find a parking space at the mall.

The federal government mandates ever-stricter safety laws for new vehicles in an attempt to keep natural selection from working, and then there are liability lawsuits to fill in whatever gaps are left. My next vehicle, or the one after that, is going to be several thousand dollars more expensive because a bunch of people bought SUV's and thought they could take ramps at high speed in the rain, but soon found that physics applies to their Navigator too.

I think rather than coming up with ever stricter punishments or ever more invasive and expensive technology how about fixing the problems between the steering wheel and the chair? Why don't we have less emphasis on organized sports in our schools and instead come up with competitive driving courses that actually produce world class drivers who know how to handle any passenger vehicle on the street? Why does it take 6 months of intensive classroom instruction in Germany to get a license? Because they take their driving seriously. It isn't a right, its a privilege, just like flying an airplane.

You don't just jump into an airplane after taking a written test and go for a flight right off the bat. Guess what - driving a car should be no different. Its just one less axis of movement, thats all.

To paraphrase Ross Perot, regarding all these laws and technologies: "Thats just closing the barn doors after the horses have escaped."

1 - 20 of 24 Posts