LS1GTO Forums banner

Flow One Race Spec F2

11K views 29 replies 8 participants last post by  JakeStiebs 
#1 ·
Hey GTOers,

Does anyone have these rims on their GTO? If so, what's your front and rear tire and rim sizes? Pics?

My current setup is 18x8 Touren TR9 3190 rims with Nitto NT555 Extreme ZR tires (Front: 265/35 ZR18 93W, Rear: 235/40 R18 91W). I'd like to get the 265s on the back, but with my current rim setup they rub pretty bad.

According to TireRack.com, they should fit the GTO (Front: 18x8 + 42 mm with recommended tire size of 235/40-18, Rear: 18x9 + 45mm with recommended tire size of 265/35-18). Is TireRack pretty accurate with their fitments?

Thanks!

https://m.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...alPartNumber=F288010GB&selectedRear=F289005GB

#2 ·
Tire Rack is generally very safe with their fitments. However, their wheel will be 8mm closer to the fender lip. Seems strange that you are having so much rubbing currently. Maybe stock rear spring sag?

#3 ·
It's only rubbing if I put the 265s in the rear. And the 265s are wrapped around an 8" wide rim which causes the tire to stick out farther than the rim at the outermost edge of the sidewall. Now that I've looked into spring sag, I didn't realize it was notorious for these cars. I've only had the car for about a year, so I haven't noticed any change in ride height. Here's a pic of the car parked at a 5% incline.

#5 ·
Thanks for letting me know, I appreciate it. I'll peruse through some threads to see what I should go for.

#6 ·
The go to are Lovell stock height springs in the rear, assuming you want to stay stock height. These are what were in my car when I bought it.

#7 ·
those tire rack fitments are unusually good and your fitments should be great. I would not go stock height springs, because the appearance of the stock sagging springs is actually awesome. the rear will look raised and not as good if you put the so-called stock height springs in there. I run Pedders -10 in the rear and they are awesome. your car looks beautiful, hope you are not doing black wheels to it.

#9 · (Edited)
Good news to me then because I just ordered them! But bad news for you because they are indeed gloss black rims from the link I posted at the beginning....I would have done gunmetal/charcoal gray but the only thing gray on the car is the rear valence and stock kidney grilles, which I am pulling and getting painted semi-gloss black. And I'll be smoking headlights, tails, side markers, and fogs too. Emblems eventually.

I agree, if they are indeed sagging, it looks great. But performance-wise not the best. We'll see how the new setup does before I bite the bullet on suspension.

a note of caution, if still running stock struts in the front, you will be 6 mm closer. though +42 is an ideal offset for the front and is in fact what I have with aftermarket struts, it might be close but should be ok with stock struts and 235 tires.
Well if they aren't rubbing with 265s, I should be okay.

#8 ·
a note of caution, if still running stock struts in the front, you will be 6 mm closer. though +42 is an ideal offset for the front and is in fact what I have with aftermarket struts, it might be close but should be ok with stock struts and 235 tires.

#11 ·
Will do! They claim to be about 21lbs! Hoping for zero rub.

#12 ·
Hopefully you won’t have any issues but your sagging springs may still cause you issues since they will allow the car to squat more than the springs should. Look forward to seeing the pictures.

#13 ·
My opinion. If you have to raise a car up, use bags etc. to stop rubbing....you are not doing it right. The tire should be able to pass the fender with no interference. If I have to roll the fender, then so be it. If I have to buy 1/2” inward offset hubs, so be it. But I’m not ok with jacking up the rear or stiffening it to stop rubbing.

Here’s the offset hubs if you never seen em.
https://gforce1320.com/product/gto-vz-billet-outer-stubs-lh-and-rh-5-offset/

#14 ·
Replacing dead springs is not the wrong way to fix an issue. If the springs have lost their original strength, they are allowing the car to move too much. Replacing with a spring that is not dead, is not stiffening or raising the car other than to where it was supposed to be to begin with. Now, if he wants the car to sit where it is currently, after spring sag, he should put in a drop spring that keeps the car where it is now, but the spring will be able to control the car's weight, along with good (working) shocks of course.

#15 ·
Replacing dead springs is not the wrong way to fix an issue. If the springs have lost their original strength, they are allowing the car to move too much. Replacing with a spring that is not dead, is not stiffening or raising the car other than to where it was supposed to be to begin with. Now, if he wants the car to sit where it is currently, after spring sag, he should put in a drop spring that keeps the car where it is now, but the spring will be able to control the car's weight, along with good (working) shocks of course.
I think you misunderstood what I meant or maybe I didn’t word it correctly. I have a bad habit of doing that. Lol

If he puts new springs, that will raise the back up, making it stiffer. But that won’t fix the actual problem of it rubbing if it get compressed enough. So while he may need new springs, (personally I’d leave the back low and put some skittles lower spring on the front) the new springs won’t fix the problem if the offset is too far out or the tire is too wide. I’ve seen people just jack up the back as a ******* fix. And I hate how it looks raked like that. And it’ll still rub under hard launches.

#16 · (Edited)
I am running Ace Alloy AFF02 in black chrome with 275 in rears with no rubbing. I have lovells 350mm springs, koni shocks and all rear bushings are now polyurethane including rear diff insert.

Please check the weight on any aftermarket rim, adding weight over stock rim is not good for performance. I dropped about 10lbs per rim/tire with forged flowform rim.
I did see the specs on those rims, those are pretty light.

Here is post for review.
https://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=840603

Running Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires on all rims
19x8.5 front 245/35/19 - 45mm offset in front
19x9.5 rear 275/30/19 - 52mm offset in rear.

Front rim and tire 45.2 lbs.
Rear rim and tire 47.2 lbs.

#17 ·
I am running Ace Allow AFF02 in black chrome with 275 in rears with no rubbing. I have lovells 350mm springs, koni shocks and all rear bushings are now polyurethane including rear diff insert.

Please check the weight on any aftermarket rim, adding weight over stock rim is not good for performance. I dropped about 10lbs per rim/tire with forged flowform rim.
I did see the specs on those rims, those are pretty light.

Here is post for review.
https://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=840603

Running Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires on all rims
19x8.5 front 245/35/19 - 45mm offset in front
19x9.5 rear 275/30/19 - 52mm offset in rear.

Front rim and tire 45.2 lbs.
Rear rim and tire 47.2 lbs.

Looks good!

#18 ·
Here they are! No rubbing as of yet! Either way, I'lll be looking into suspension and I'll need new tires by the end of the summer according to DiscountTire. Sorry the first pic is blurry, more this weekend.

#19 ·
So...after I washed the car and got the lube grease off, I am noticing about a 6" long white scratch on the lips of each of my rear rims. Additionally, the lip on one of my front rims is chipped. Also noticing some scratches/dings around the lug holes on every wheel, most likely when they were using the impact driver.

I would have inspected them immediately but they were closing and white lube grease all around the tire/rim edge.

I plan to go back this week to see what they can do. I don't want to hear the repaint/refinish schpeel. For $250 a rim, I want replacements.

#20 · (Edited)
Look good. Sucks about the damage. I have mixed feelings about that. 1) if you didn’t buy the stuff from them, they are going to lose money. Don’t expect them to mount tires for you again either. 2) it does suck there’s a scratch, I think if it were me, I’d just live with it and touch it up and buy another wheel later.

It’s hard to make them eat it in my opinion. That’s what makes wheel and tire places turn down people wanting stuff done that didn’t buy the stuff there. Maybe ride by there, let them see it and ask for half the money back you paid to have them done. Then have it professionally repaired. We have a guy that comes to our dealership that fixes rims to look like new.

#21 ·
Look good. Sucks about the damage. I have mixed feelings about that. 1) if you didn’t buy the stuff from them, they are going to lose money. Don’t expect them to mount tires for you again either. 2) it does suck there’s a scratch, I think if it were me, I’d just live with it and touch it up and buy another wheel later.

It’s hard to make them eat it in my opinion. That’s what makes wheel and tire pls Ed turn down people wanting stuff done that didn’t but the stuff there. Maybe ride by there, let them see it and ask for have the money back you paint to have them done. Then have it professionally repaired. We have a guy that come to our dealership that fixes rims to look like new.
It's just frustrating to spend $1000 on a set of brand new wheels for them to immediately become damaged. My family and I have taken our business to them before and have bought tires from them on multiple occasions.

I'm not the type of person to ask for my money back. If I get served the wrong thing at a restaurant or it's over/undercooked, etc., I keep quiet and eat it anyway. But for something that was 100% undamaged, I feel like I deserve some sort of compensation.

#22 ·
if you seek no damage during install, you absolutely must find a location which has the "touchless" machines. Touchless in this case means metal never touches wheel. without this, it varies but there is simply no way that hard steel will not contact paint or aluminum, and that means damage to wheel. degree is dependent upon skill and care of installer.

#23 ·
Fair enough, thanks for the info. Hoping to get to discount today to see what their thoughts are, I'm not looking forward to it.

#26 ·
OP added this right on time, I was on the hunt for some black rims for my 04 Pulse Red. After reading this thread I took the plunge and bought the black tint F2s. Here it is back from the shop, I think the look good with the rest of the mods. Thanks to all who joined in and showed off their rides to help me decide, so far no rub and clearance seems fine.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.