LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my dumbass gave in when my wife wanted to help, said it would be a "bonding experience". Boy was I dumb. Told her when the torque wrench clicks, stop...
Cleaned it all up and have a good coat of jb weld on there curing. Hopefully that will hold until I have enough time off to drop the damn cradle again to get oil pan off and have my buddy weld it up, or find a good deal on new oil pan... Fml

Attachments

·
Worthless reject member
40,145 Posts
that sucks. those lower torque settings can be deceptive. sometimes the wrench doesn't feel like it clicks. anything under say 40 ft lbs and i'll use a smaller torque wrench.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ya im gonna be searching all day at work. I have a 1/4" inch pound tq. Im kinda thinking she may have done it slightly on purpose. She has been pissed with how much time i spend in the garage.

·
Worthless reject member
40,145 Posts
ya im gonna be searching all day at work. I have a 1/4" inch pound tq. Im kinda thinking she may have done it slightly on purpose. She has been pissed with how much time i spend in the garage.
That is messed up.

I mean why do something that's gonna cost you guys more $$$...

·
Powdercoat all of it
183 Posts
... and leave you in the garage for a longer time? I'd give her the benefit of the doubt. Those light torque settings can be an issue. Also, if you torqued the front or rear cover before the oil pan, you may have cracked it from the lip left. I've done that, torqued the front cover, then the oil pan. First bolt hole after the front cover on the pan showed a hairline Crack after I torqued it.

·
Powdercoat all of it
183 Posts
For those who can't weld water to oil, that weld repair would be expensive. Not only is it cast aluminum, it's cast aluminum that's lived in an oily environment. I had a cracked fbody pan repaired by a relative on my wife's side. He was a pro, had done it his whole life and had an amazing setup. Even still, he fought it. When all was said and done, it was flush and perfect. Said it would have been a $200 job if I weren't "kin folk" (he was pretty southern ms.)

Point is, Jb weld is your best bet if it was over torqued and not a cover misalignment. And if you don't want to spend on a new cover. Because repairing a cast aluminum oil pan is difficult and expensive.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
For those who can't weld water to oil, that weld repair would be expensive. Not only is it cast aluminum, it's cast aluminum that's lived in an oily environment. I had a cracked fbody pan repaired by a relative on my wife's side. He was a pro, had done it his whole life and had an amazing setup. Even still, he fought it. When all was said and done, it was flush and perfect. Said it would have been a $200 job if I weren't "kin folk" (he was pretty southern ms.)

Point is, Jb weld is your best bet if it was over torqued and not a cover misalignment. And if you don't want to spend on a new cover. Because repairing a cast aluminum oil pan is difficult and expensive.
When I weld aluminum that had oil in it, I heat it up and hold it at temp to boil the oil out of it. Then when I pull it out the oven I weld it while hot so it doesn’t crack when cooling.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts