·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which one would you choose? I feel like spending some more $$$:drink:

·
As fast as fast can be
134 Posts
I would go with Focal's. But it's about what your ears can hear and what amps you choose to run. I am running Audison VRX series amps. Four of them and the Focal Utopia BE system7. If you are wanting to run a two-way system I would go with the System6. Two-way setups are much easier to tune then three-ways and sound great. Besides Quart is owned by Fosgate. I'd buy Dynaudio before Quart. Good luck.

http://www.utopia-be.com/Products/Number6.htm

·
As fast as fast can be
134 Posts
Everything that I have purchased for my car audio system I got for half of the msrp. My advise get in good with a car audio salesperson.

·
Mid-Atlantic Moderator
2,048 Posts
I used to run Focals, but recently switched to the Diamond D9s, I really like the sound of them over the Focals. I've never been much of a Quart fan, they just don't do it for me

·
Where are the women and booze
2,089 Posts
txspdfrk said:
I would go with Focal's. But it's about what your ears can hear and what amps you choose to run. I am running Audison VRX series amps. Four of them and the Focal Utopia BE system7. If you are wanting to run a two-way system I would go with the System6. Two-way setups are much easier to tune then three-ways and sound great. Besides Quart is owned by Fosgate. I'd buy Dynaudio before Quart. Good luck.

http://www.utopia-be.com/Products/Number6.htm
Actually Quart is now owened by Maxxsonics...even better right?

I have QSD 216s in my car now

My next one will either have JL ZRs or Focal 165 KP (or K3P if I get spicy)
I honestly prefer the sound of the 165KPs to the 165K2Ps. The KPs don't seem to have the spike in the lower midrange the K2Ps have. But that is my ear.

I would most likely not buy Quarts again soley because of you ever have a problem you may get screwed because God knows who will own them 12 mo from now (being whenever)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Ok, thats what i thought, quart isnt what they used to be..focal it is then(those utopias look sick!), although i may read into the diamonds:)

·
Where are the women and booze
2,089 Posts
gonepostal said:
Ok, thats what i thought, quart isnt what they used to be..focal it is then(those utopias look sick!), although i may read into the diamonds:)

When considering speakers at this level it is imperative you listen to them first. (preferably in a car)

A speaker like the Utopia Be or the regular Utopias for that matter will only be as good as the environment they are given to play in. Keep that in mind as well.

Good luck with your decision!

·
Suffering Fools
15,298 Posts
DiamondJoeQuimby said:
A speaker like the Utopia Be or the regular Utopias for that matter will only be as good as the environment they are given to play in. Keep that in mind as well.
That's why I would never spend that much on any car speaker.

You could probably do just as well piecing together some nice components from Madisound or something.

·
As fast as fast can be
134 Posts
If your ears can't hear the difference between a set of $300 speakers and a set of $5000 speakers don't buy the expensive ones, there is just is no point. I agree that the environment around the speakers is very important. I have thousands invested in my system, but without all the sound damping, deadening and stiffening material that I have used and the positioning of my speakers,building the right enclosures, and tuning for them it, they would have just sounded like crap. Only buy what what sounds great for you. Every car is different and a sound room doesn't give an idea listening point for any speaker.

·
Blowed Up...
11,360 Posts
I have owned both and both were in the same truck on same amp... FOCALS kill the MB Quarts, but I also think that the fact of me liiking reallying high highs makes the Focals even better to me.

·
New Owner, with a WEG
137 Posts
I've got the MB Quarts in my car, and I've been quite pleased with the sound. I initially tried mounting them in the factory dash locations, but then relocated them to be near-flush mounted in the triangular backing plates for the side mirrors.

The imaging is good overall, and improved over the factory locations. The sound has that characteristic sharpness of the titanium tweeters, but the response is smooth.

If I were doing it again, I'd probably still go with the MB Quarts speakers. I listened to the Focals and MBs in soundboards, but obviously the automotive environment is significantly different from sampling in a stereo shop.

I'd love to hear a set of Focals set up in a GTO parked next to mine, and compare the sound. After all, that's the real test... How it sounds in the car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts