LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Rear Seat Delete Builder
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone figured out how to bypass them,so they stay on when the brights are turned on? On my camaro it was a simple grounding of one wire under the hood on the foglight relay.

·
13 year owner
16,382 Posts
I'd like to know this too! I did the same mod on the Camaro as well as keeping the low beams on (which surprisingly our GTO's already do).

·
I take Pictures
789 Posts
anyone figure this out?

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
Somebody out there has to have a service manual. You could always just figure out which relay it is that switches and well, do the grounding thing to keep it from switching. Just make sure you have extra relays handy :)

EDIT

This is the headlight diagram from the SM

Courtesy member dede in this thread.

EDIT2

Just looked at the diagram, there's a "FOGLIGHT CANCEL" relay on the far right of the diagram (it's in the underhood)...Seems like you might just be able to yank that...But I'm not 100% on that, not too up on automotive circuitry just yet. :)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Just curious, but why do you care if your fogs stay on with your high beams? It's not like they'd provide any useful light compared to the earth scorching brightness of the highs as is.

·
Damn Ice Storms
979 Posts
notgetleft said:
Just curious, but why do you care if your fogs stay on with your high beams? It's not like they'd provide any useful light compared to the earth scorching brightness of the highs as is.

Got to go out for a little drive tonight. Hit the high beams and set some trees on fire. Talk about instant daylight. :cool:

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
GeoHawk said:
Got to go out for a little drive tonight. Hit the high beams and set some trees on fire. Talk about instant daylight. :cool:
:gr_jest:

Remember, you have to go "Bshhhhhhew" when you click the high beams on :)

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
If you do that, your foglights and low beams will stay on when you go to high-beams
just one wire instead of one relay

Attachments

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
I agree that trying to fire up the fogs with the brights on may be of questionable utility. You can't really make a case for appearance, because hopefully, you dim the brights for oncoming traffic. I don't think they will contribute meaningfully to the visibility, and you are just imposing an additional load on the engine/alternator.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
mistermike said:
I agree that trying to fire up the fogs with the brights on may be of questionable utility. You can't really make a case for appearance, because hopefully, you dim the brights for oncoming traffic. I don't think they will contribute meaningfully to the visibility, and you are just imposing an additional load on the engine/alternator.
And of course in some places it's actually illegal to have more than 2 sets of lights on at the same time.

·
13 year owner
16,382 Posts
Have you noticed that our low beams stay on with the highs?

Something cars Stateside can't do per Federal regulations.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
Have you noticed that our low beams stay on with the highs?

Something cars Stateside can't do per Federal regulations.
My 300M's lows stayed on with the highs...I think that the only vehicles that don't work that way are the ones that have lows and highs in the same bulb (the low filament in my Explorer would shut off when I went to the highs).

·
A Million miles and counting
363 Posts
We had an '86 Sunbird GT that had 4 headlights, the low beams would go off when the high beams came on. I thought it was just that car model as I found an '86 Sunbird SE that worked "normal". My wife's GP works with 4 lights on high beam. Where is it illegal to have more than 2 sets of lights on at a time?

·
13 year owner
16,382 Posts
It's a Federal law, so all 50 states. Then local ordinances can tack on top of that.

·
13 year owner
16,382 Posts
phobos512 said:
My 300M's lows stayed on with the highs...I think that the only vehicles that don't work that way are the ones that have lows and highs in the same bulb (the low filament in my Explorer would shut off when I went to the highs).
Sorry, I guess I should've clarified, those with two bulb setups and from GM. Most GM vehicles used 9006/9005 series bulbs.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
Cosmoso4 said:
We had an '86 Sunbird GT that had 4 headlights, the low beams would go off when the high beams came on. I thought it was just that car model as I found an '86 Sunbird SE that worked "normal". My wife's GP works with 4 lights on high beam. Where is it illegal to have more than 2 sets of lights on at a time?
California, for one.

CADMV said:
Maximum Number of Lamps

24405. (a) Not more than four lamps of the following types showing to the front of a vehicle may be lighted at any one time:
(1) Headlamps.
(2) Auxiliary driving or passing lamps.
(3) Fog lamps.
(4) Warning lamps.
(5) Spot lamps.
(6) Gaseous discharge lamps specified in Section 25258.
(b) For the purpose of this section each pair of a dual headlamp system shall be considered as one lamp.
(c) Subdivision (a) does not apply to any authorized emergency vehicle.
Amended Ch. 234, Stats. 1976. Effective January 1, 1977.
The only thing I'm not sure about is where it says "dual headlamp system"...I'm assuming that's two filaments in one bulb but that may be incorrect.

·
U.S. Navy (Ret)
57 Posts
Same for Virginia. No more than four lamps showing at one time.

·
not a pontiac its a HOLDEN !!
8,787 Posts
after hitting a deer in my cavalier on a sweeping left on the freeway north a vegas

all i gotta say is fawk people on the other side , i want highs and fogs/driving on at the same time , had i seen the deer when i was farther back on the road , ida had plenty of time to get behind the car next to me

my 68 el camino keeps the highs on with the lows , and ive got driving lights on it to , never got hassled in cali , but then i hardly had them all on at once

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
on my 93 GMC the low beams turned off too. I used to spend alot of time in the woods so I rewired them so all 4 stay on. It definately helped.

I have been searching for this thread for about a week and finally found the right combo of words. It does help a little to light up right in front of the car. The way I look at it when I turn on my brights I want as much light as I can put out. JMHO

P.S. Alabama law states no more than 4 forward facing lights lit up at once as well but it also states it is illegal to put an ice cream cone in your back pocket. Guess they were worried about butt freeze.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts