LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I feel dumb asking this but maybe there's something i don't know of. so I went to look over my engine and NOTICED CRUMPLED FOIL PIECES IN AND ON my ALTERNATOR and I feel like someone is trying to mess up my car intentionally because there's no way I've ever had foil anywhere in or by my car and don't know what to think here's a pic I want to take the pieces out but I am scared to touch it and get shocked

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO
610 Posts
You can take all that crap out. You won’t get zapped as long as the car isn’t running. Not sure if there is feedback into tje coils from the battery so maybe disconnect tje negative terminal first then clean it all up. Not sure how anyone can get in there they need to pop tje hood for access.

I’m betting it’s a really smart rat that is storing his shinny stuff. Maybe put some rat poison in the engine by the alternator when stored overnight see what you see.

·
Chickun maka lousy houspet
447 Posts
I'd remove the pieces with a pliers (with a rubberized handle). You could also remove the alternator completely...which would make getting to the "hard to reach" areas a LOT easier.

I've been wrenching on cars since I was 14. I'm now 48 and have worked (on the side helping buddies) on rebuilding their cars, as well as building / rebuilding my own. I have NEVER seen foil in an alternator!!! ...like EVER!. Someone had to put that in there when it was rebuilt. I assume they used the foil as a spacer between the field windings or the brushes. I have NO idea why someone would do that, but they are either a complete A-Hole or a Dip$#!_ ....but that's my best guess.

...now, I could be completely wrong. They could be an imbecile, but then they would have to know the definition of that word. ... :unsure: dip$#!t works!

Reactions: Steel Chicken

·
GR-RRR!
7,029 Posts
I think it is more likely that there was a piece of foil lying on the road, you zoomed by, wind and suction picked it up and it got blown into the alternator and the spinning parts inside the alternator chewed up the foil and you are seeing the remnants. Just disconnect the battery terminal and using tweezers or thin needle nose pliers pluck out the bits of foil and go on with your life.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts