For the people that painted the FRC's

What prep was involved?
How much sanding? Grit used?
How many coats?

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
Prep, sanding? What are these?

I did no such thing, just washed with dish soap, let dry, and painted away. There was some oddity with the paint I used (but it was nothing to do with the surface, specifically to do with the paint). Apparently Duplicolor high-temp doesn't like to be sprayed on itself once it's started the curing process.

But anyway, I did 2 coats of each color and that was that. I'm doing the clearcoating tonight when I get home. I reversed the color of the stock FRCs (black where they were silver and vice versa) save for the edge "molding" which I did in silver as well as an accent. Had it not been for the weird paint they'd look badass. As it is they look OK but whatever, she's no show car :)

But I don't care, I'm not going to have these on the car for very long anyway.

·
Rear Seat Delete Builder
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought paint off ebay from a company that color matches your paint perfect. Its not cheap but will look good. I will also paint my BMR STB when it arrives.

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
I love the stock FRC's that came with my car. It was painted silver already to match my goat.

Now wasn't it nice of GM to do that just for me?

How come your goats didn't come with color matching FRC's......?

LOLOLOLOL :gr_jest:

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I like the mountains in your signature but I like the mountains in your avatar even better. :eek2:

·
Big Daddy Says
1,992 Posts
desertgoat said:
I love the stock FRC's that came with my car. It was painted silver already to match my goat.

Now wasn't it nice of GM to do that just for me?

How come your goats didn't come with color matching FRC's......?

LOLOLOLOL :gr_jest:
:gr_jest:

·
PFR Performance Kennard Texas
112 Posts
you really don't have to sand and prime your covers PPG has a new plastic adhesion in a spray or a wipe you spray on shoot your base coat clear coat your done its called one choice by ppg the wipe part # is su4902 i dont know the spray #

·
Registered
346 Posts
msfyter said:
What prep was involved?
How much sanding? Grit used?
How many coats?
I'm a little late on this one, but heres what I did.

I washed them as best as I could. Masked off with no sanding. Used Automotive paint (Yellow) and Diluted it with lacguer thinner to get it to stick onto the plastic. 10% thinner. Used a DeVilbiss 2 oz. finishing gun at 60 psi. Baked in the 110 degree Arizona sun for 45 minutes...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts