LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I noticed that there are several people that are getting their clutches replaced per the first TSB that came out (been there done that). I am now on my third clutch. Make sure that they contact the GM Tech Center and get the new TSB that came out on August 19th. It gives detailed instructions on how to properly install your new clutch. My second one was fried in about 200 miles because it would not disengage properly and got increasingly harder to shift. Just another FYI, expect the clutch slave to need to be replaced shortly afterwards...

~MattS

·
Deuce and a Half
1,880 Posts
hey mattsaint,

where are you located. I have been trying to find a dealership that will acutally fix my clutch, they have replaced the tranny but wont fix my clutch. They kept the old one in there after replacing the tranny.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LiqTenExp said:
hey mattsaint,

where are you located. I have been trying to find a dealership that will acutally fix my clutch, they have replaced the tranny but wont fix my clutch. They kept the old one in there after replacing the tranny.
Hey There,

I live in Southern NH. In all honesty, I wouldn't recommend the dealership were I had my work done. I really can't say anymore at this point. I just wanted to make sure that other people do not have to go through what I have been dealing with for the last several months.

~MattS

·
Deuce and a Half
1,880 Posts
Yeah,

my dealership has taken care of me with the exception of this. I had problems engaging with the other tranny and burnt the clutch a couple times. They won't replace it and would most likely say it was wear and tear now that i have like 7k miles on the car.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LiqTenExp said:
Yeah,

my dealership has taken care of me with the exception of this. I had problems engaging with the other tranny and burnt the clutch a couple times. They won't replace it and would most likely say it was wear and tear now that i have like 7k miles on the car.
Mine was an early one and the bolts backed off and it fried. I am on the 3rd clutch and I don't even have 4k miles on it. It still doesn't shift properly when it warms up and I have trouble getting it into gear.

·
CAUTION!!!!
9,883 Posts
guys your scaring me... i have that exact same problem and i am taking my car in on monday..... even after the new tsb, am i still doomed for a crappy clutch and/or replacing it with an aftermarket one?

·
2004 Pontiac GTO
167 Posts
gotzaGTO said:
guys your scaring me... i have that exact same problem and i am taking my car in on monday..... even after the new tsb, am i still doomed for a crappy clutch and/or replacing it with an aftermarket one?
I'm sure that Massive burnout you did on Saturday did not help matters much...I'd say you are screwed... :rolleyes: (JK!)

I hope they fix this problem correctly for all of you guys. :)

·
CAUTION!!!!
9,883 Posts
funny scott, real funny.... scott...your semi-evil, your the diet coke of evil, just one calorie not evil enough! (J/K) I'm posting my experience on a new thread, so u can dee it there.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
gotzaGTO said:
Didn't mean to scare you, just wanted to give you some information. Hopefully the guys at your dealership will be able to remove the interior trim pieces without trashing them. Mine had to order new pieces and then on the last install they slashed a 1 inch cut in my steering wheel. *sigh*

I am sure that yours will go smoothly.

Kind Regards,

~MattS

·
Sold 5/2/09
657 Posts
This is an off the wall question but....

Can you take your car to a Chevrolet dealer for work rather than a Pontiac dealer? I have had great experiences with the LS1 guys at my Chevy dealer. They only work on the f-bodys/y-bodys, and I'd prefer they work on my GTO if I get one.

I know you're thinking the Pontiac garage will be used to working on Firebirds... but our local Pontiac dealer didn't aquire Pontiac until early 2003...

·
CAUTION!!!!
9,883 Posts
sure you can, any gm shop can service any gm car, the only problem you might run into is a delay of work due to the chevy dealer possibly having to special order specific pontiac parts....

·
\m/ (>.<) \m/
762 Posts
I had my clutch replaced once under warranty (for the TSB issue).

It's had zero problems since then. Seems my local dealer service department can tell the difference between their ass and a hole in the ground. :D

·
Registered
104 Posts
A chevrolet dealership cannot do warranty work on any other brand unless they sold it as used. The car has to be taken to a pontiac dealership to get warranty work. I know for a fact because I sell for GM.:sneaky:

·
CAUTION!!!!
9,883 Posts
interesting.... im not saying i dont believe you, but i have an oldsmobile that needed warranty work and there wasnt an olds dealer around, and the caddy dealer said no problem, bring it in, and they did the warranty work. is this a case of what a specific dealership will let slide?

·
Registered
104 Posts
yes and no. If there is no dealer within a certain amount of mileage they can warranty it. Simply because you car is broke and it needs to be fixed. Some dealers will let stuff slide if possible so they can get the money. Mine won't. I have to drive to a pontiac dealer 40 miles away because of what I have done to my car. We have a different dealer service rep. than they do. Go figure:bs:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts