LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
I...I...I got Nothin
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought maybe it would be helpful to start a list of the free mods we can all do to squeak a bit more power out of our cars. I know when I had the Trans Am there were a couple almost everyone did to try and get more power. Some of those mods later proved to bad for the car, some were proven at the track to give more power. So anyways, I think this would be a good thread to discuss and try different things.

1) Weather stripping at the rear of the engine bay. Do we really need this? I took mine off and noticed the temp guage is running much cooler now.

2) Throttle body by-pass. I know f-body guys have done this and have made some good gains, nothing spectacular, but gains anyway. I did this to the Trans-Am and the throttle body was only warm to touch rather than the uncomfortable heat it had before.

3) De-screen the MAF. This has been debated to death on other sites. So I think the jury might still be out.

4) Port the MAF. Does this really help? On autos I have heard that it confuses the shift program for the tranny. I did this to the Trans Am and three transmissions later, I really couldn't say if they were right.

5) The EGR tube. I haven't checked yet. Does the GTO LS-1 have an EGR set-up? If so, trim that puppy.

Anything else?

·
Gentlemen, behold!
160 Posts
2edybrd said:
I thought maybe it would be helpful to start a list of the free mods we can all do to squeak a bit more power out of our cars. I know when I had the Trans Am there were a couple almost everyone did to try and get more power. Some of those mods later proved to bad for the car, some were proven at the track to give more power. So anyways, I think this would be a good thread to discuss and try different things.

1) Weather stripping at the rear of the engine bay. Do we really need this? I took mine off and noticed the temp guage is running much cooler now.

2) Throttle body by-pass. I know f-body guys have done this and have made some good gains, nothing spectacular, but gains anyway. I did this to the Trans-Am and the throttle body was only warm to touch rather than the uncomfortable heat it had before.

3) De-screen the MAF. This has been debated to death on other sites. So I think the jury might still be out.

4) Port the MAF. Does this really help? On autos I have heard that it confuses the shift program for the tranny. I did this to the Trans Am and three transmissions later, I really couldn't say if they were right.

5) The EGR tube. I haven't checked yet. Does the GTO LS-1 have an EGR set-up? If so, trim that puppy.

Anything else?
2) This is the only worthwhile one in the bunch. It's easy, quick, and free. The gains, however, are nominal.

5) the GTO has the LS6 intake from the factory, ergo, no EGR.

-Chris

·
Registered
86 Posts
What about modding the throttle body to make sure it opens completely?

I read several posts and articles in mags about how the LS1 throttle bodies don't open 100%, althought the computer is registering WOT. From what I remember, the average was about 70-85% is as far as the throttle body would open.

I popped off the intake tube into the throttle body, then manually opened the throttle. Sure enough, my throttle body was about 15% from being completely opened. I took a file and slowly shaved the throttle stop blob on the throttle body until the throttle opened closer to 100%.

The car seems to run better now at WOT, but it could be in my head.

·
Registered
139 Posts
2edybrd said:

Anything else?
Whats the throttle body bypass?

·
--Insert witty comment here--
570 Posts
monte said:
Whats the throttle body bypass?
http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=13&PHPSESSID=35b2be67760a0b8b27ffbc8fe88ad994
The picture shows you where it is, on the GTO you don't even need to make an adapter, simply run the coolant line from the block to the radiator.
:)
Ah, the search feature is a wonderful thing.
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1535&highlight=throttle+body+coolant+bypass
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4057&highlight=throttle+body+coolant+bypass

·
I...I...I got Nothin
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't start with the patronizing/ superior. "use the search feature" remarks. The whole reason I started this thread was to put everything in one place.

Ah the joys of actually reading the post....

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
kn7671 said:
What about modding the throttle body to make sure it opens completely?

I read several posts and articles in mags about how the LS1 throttle bodies don't open 100%, althought the computer is registering WOT. From what I remember, the average was about 70-85% is as far as the throttle body would open.

I popped off the intake tube into the throttle body, then manually opened the throttle. Sure enough, my throttle body was about 15% from being completely opened. I took a file and slowly shaved the throttle stop blob on the throttle body until the throttle opened closer to 100%.

The car seems to run better now at WOT, but it could be in my head.

You need to adjust the throttle cable to advantage of the extra opening distance. If you don't do this, the the throttle will still open the same amount. So there is a good chance it is your head playing tricks on you. Have someone check it while you actually mash your foot on the pedal, not just operate it at the throttle itself. That way you can take into effect he pedal and cable operation of the throttle

·
--Insert witty comment here--
570 Posts
2edybrd said:
Don't start with the patronizing/ superior. "use the search feature" remarks. The whole reason I started this thread was to put everything in one place.

Ah the joys of actually reading the post....
Relax, breathe in through the nose, out through the mouth.
The comment was actually more to me, I went to a different website before thinking to search here.
;)

·
I...I...I got Nothin
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry, sometimes I forget I'm not posting on LS1.com anymore

·
Registered
86 Posts
NVigR8 said:
You need to adjust the throttle cable to advantage of the extra opening distance. If you don't do this, the the throttle will still open the same amount. So there is a good chance it is your head playing tricks on you. Have someone check it while you actually mash your foot on the pedal, not just operate it at the throttle itself. That way you can take into effect he pedal and cable operation of the throttle
Nope. I know the throttle pedal goes as far as it can. I placed a light thin coating of antiseize (shiny silver stuff) on the stop molded into the aluminum casting of the throttle body. I then stepped into the car, and pushed the throttle pedal to the floor and released. Looked back under the hood, and the throttle was opening all the way to the throttle stop. So I then started looking at the distance it was opening by rotating the throttle blade by hand on the throttle body. It simply does not rotate to a complete opening.

Other people have mentioned being the metal tab on the throttle lever that hits the throttle stop. If this is done, you technically should have to readjust the closed throttle set screw, otherwise the throttle body blade will be what stops the throttle from closing. The best solution was to file about 1/8" off the throttle stop on the throttle body.

I guess I will have to post some pictures.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Removing the weather stripping on the back of the hood won't lower coolant temps.

All that does is help scavenge underhood heat. Your coolant temp sensor is in the head, measuring coolant temps internally.

So I think the drop you saw was pshychological.

FYI, I did it on mine too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts