LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Destroyer of GTOs
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped by the dealership today, and they added the GM Crushed Coolant Seal Tabs to my COOLANT RESIVOIR.

I thought these had to be added to the radiator, directly? Am I incorrect?

If they were added incorrectly, can I do the following?:

1) Wait until car is dead cool.
2) Undo lower radiator hose going to thermostat.
3) Drain some coolant out.
4) Put hose and clamp back on.
5) Start car so the coolant that is in the resivoir will go into the radiator.
6) Put coolant that came out of lower radiator hose back into the resivoir.

I will basically just forcing the coolant with the stop leak material down into the radiator with this method.

Or should I just leave things be, and eventually the coolant will make its way down into the radiator on its own?

Has anyone had luck with putting GM Coolant Seal Tabs in the resivoir tank?

My passenger side freeze plug is weeping (like tear drops).

Sorry for all the questions!

Thank you!

·
1 of 262
10,335 Posts
If your passenger side freeze plug is weeping it's because of poor machining and the hole is out-of-round. I would demand that they replace the defective part immediately. Once your car is out of warranty, it's your problem so don't let them get away with it.

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
first off let me give you first hand experience on this before these guys scare you

2+yrs ago, I bought my car in March 04. I saw another member have this issue so I looked over mine and sure enough it was weeping. I think this was in april or may. The dealer replaced the plug with another one, then tested it, nope still weeping, once again same thing. At this point they said we have to get with GM/holden on this to figure out what to do, keep in mind it was early in the GTO's days. This was on a saturday.They said we could try the horse tablets, well I was not about to leave my brand new baby at the dealer until monday when they made some calls.

So I said lets try the sealant tabs. They put them in the coolant resovoir and its been fine ever since. You've seen what I have done to the car, pushed it hard etc at the track 145 passes, lots of power etc etc etc. No issues.
The hole was not machined right, so would you rather them pull your head and give you a new one? Some GM flunky mechanic who could screw something else up or how about you just wait and see if it worked.
I know several others on here have done the tablet thing too and its worked fine. How many tabs did they put in? I think my dealer did 6

here is some threads on the subject you can read over......

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/search.php?searchid=2323525

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showpost.php?p=29396&postcount=28

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2210&highlight=freeze+plug

·
Destroyer of GTOs
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dbluegoat,

Thank you! From other threads I have searched in the past couple of days, I noticed you were having the same problems as me.

Thing is, this engine has 55 miles on it!! It was a brand new LS1 Crate Engine.

I brought it to the dealership and had the car written up, so a Repair Order was created/documented in thier system.

I as well, am VERY anal about my car, and did not want to leave it at the dealership for them to pull the freeze plug, put RTV on it, put it back in, let it sit 2 hrs, then inspect it.

I am just going to keep an eye on it and see what happens. The stuff they put in is all organic anyway, its crushed walnut shells, etc. These tabs are put in at the factory, and are reccomended with new engine installs.

Thank you guys for the kind responses!

·
Destroyer of GTOs
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In regards to my original question, I answered it:

You do not have to disconnect any hose. Wait until the car is cool, then squeeze the living crap out of the upper and lower radiator hoses, you will see the overflow tank rise and fall.

This will mix the additive in the coolant togheter, and the leak will eventually seal.

Mine has gotten alot better, and I am squeezing the hoses every morning to mix up things a bit more. I only drive 15 min to work every day, and am still breaking in my motor, so most likely that is why it is taking forever to completely seal.

·
Ignoring the Speed Limit
1,436 Posts
Cool- search FTW!

I have some seepage at the pax-side freeze plug- I'll try this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts