LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Porch Dick
20,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I did a pic dump on another forum, but figured I'd share with you guys, too.

I did an 18 hour cook on some beef shoulder clod between last night and today. 3 hour rest for 21 total hours of time. smurfing delicious!

Beef shoulder clod - just shy of 17 lbs. Trimmed off less than a pound:

Rubbed with what might end up being the next Pitfaced BBQ rub (pepper forward savory rub):

About 10 or so hours in. First hour was as the pit was coming up to temperature. Most of the other 9 was at around 225*.

About 13 hours in:

Over 15 hours in, I decided to wrap to capture some of the juices. Heat went up a bit as well.

On the cutting board. Tons of bark due to all the nooks and crannies. The grain runs tons of different ways, so rather than picking a side and starting to slice like you would a brisket, I cut a hunk off, looked at the grain, then started shaving thin slices for sandwiches from there. You can see the bottom side is falling apart. No slices to be had down there, but the meat was super tender and very moist. The slices were a tad on the dry side, but not a disappointment by any stretch.

The menu item for the evening was French Dip Sandwiches. 4 parts mayo + 2 parts horseradish for the spread. Spread on warm french bread, then added some slices of beef and top with baby swiss cheese. The sandwich went back in the oven at 200* for a minute or two to help melt the cheese slightly. Served with a bowl of au jus. The au jus was all of the drippings, supplemented by beef broth and Worcestershire - warmed on the stove. I put some chopped beef in the au jus as well to really bolden up the flavor.

That sammich....

Dip in the au jus and GO. TO. TOWN.

I wasn't quite full, so I went back and made a small open faced version of the same:

·
Porch Dick
20,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Christ...grammatical errors galore in my post. I'll clean them up.

Thank you, all. It was an excellent meal. Occasionally I fall in to a rut with smoking where I eat the standard BBQ staples over and over - brisket, ribs, jalapeno poppers, pork, etc. and repeat. I had that the last couple of months, so this was nice to bust out something a little different.

VGT - hoping to fabricate a very large smoker (think 16+ brisket capacity) this spring, then begin dabbling in actual food service stuff instead of just one-off private events. Not promising Jersey is in the mix, but hope to be selling a menu soon ;).

·
Slow Goat
250 Posts
This bbq joint a few miles from my house serves that same sammich, down to the horseradish mayo and cheese. It has been my favorite sandwich they've had for years. Bravo my sir. Bravo.

·
Porch Dick
20,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This bbq joint a few miles from my house serves that same sammich, down to the horseradish mayo and cheese. It has been my favorite sandwich they've had for years. Bravo my sir. Bravo.

Thanks a bunch! What do they get for a sandwich like that at the BBQ joint you go to? I'm inclined to make this part of the menu if I can ever get my ducks in a row for a food service trailer. It is kind of an overlooked way to utilize BBQing - I hadn't even had one in years, let alone cooked with the intent of making them.

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
9,830 Posts
shoulder clod - I don't guess I've heard of that before. shoulder and extra I guess?

9 hours at 225 wow, Course I guess I've never cooked a single piece that weighed that much either.

would you have considered cutting that in smaller pieces to help the time. like say 3 sections. or just 2 even.

I did a 9 lbs beef chuck roast once that I cut in half on the smoker.

and yes I'd order that off a lunch truck if one ended up in Memphis some day. just you know sayin' (very few places around here know beef well)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts