LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Video of a lap of MidOhio in my new GTO. It's about 5MB, so save first. Sorry about the audio, but with the window open there's a lot of wind noise.

As previously mentioned the brakes seem to be the weakest link, and I was having to brake earlier every lap.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Just curious as to what speed you had your overspeed warning set at, I heard it go off a couple times. Looks like a lot of fun, I can't wait to take my car on a track.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Looks like fun. What was your top speed?

I had entered a moto-x and spend the day racing around cones. Top speed was less than 50mph, but at that speed I wasn't afraid to let the ass end hang out. I posted a thread here somewhere.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got up to a little over 120 at the beginning of the day, but backed off to try and have some brakes left. Exiting the corners the traction control was working hard all the way up to about 85.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thats good in a street car,mid-ohio is a very tricky track.Particulary since the rear in the street car is sprung so soft(and under-tired)The brakes in the stock config.are just sad!Dave

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Turning it off had been my plan, till I noticed how hard it was working the first few laps out. Also being my daily driver I didn't want it in the fence.

·
Registered
835 Posts
ghqman said:
Turning it off had been my plan, till I noticed how hard it was working the first few laps out. Also being my daily driver I didn't want it in the fence.
That is a good point.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Dave, it was a fun drive around, and I almost got under 2 minutes once, but also a couple of scares once the brakes weren't so good at the end of the back straight. I'm definitely looking for new brakes now. Will have to see what will fit in the stock wheels, as I pretty much wore out the stock brakes and tires.

·
Member +145mph club
298 Posts
Hi I'm in Columbus and plan to run my GTO at midohio in July with my track club. My question is how did you mount the camera in your car? I've run at Nelson Ledges several times and I used a tripod in passenger seat with safety belt and a safety strap run from the neck to head rest. This worked but I like your angle better, you get more of the feeling of speed.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I used a sticky pod mounted to the windshield. I did consider mounting it to the rear window to get a view of wheel action as well, but decided against that. Be careful on the brakes. I started braking at about the end of the wall on the back stretch, and by the end was at the second yellow cut out from the end.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
ghqman said:
www.stickypod.com. Very similar idea to the line Phobos512 posted. The ability to articulate the arm and point the camera any which way is pretty cool.
What sort of a camera did you use to make this? And which Sticky Pod did you use - the regular, pro, or mini?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It was a Sony Digital8, the 310 I think, I'll check when I get home, and it was the Sticky Pod Pro Pak. I think it generated a few extra puzzled looks on people's faces as I barreled down I-71, as I had it all in place for the drive down.

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
A quick fix (and also cheap) for the brakes is to flush the stock fluid and replace with ATE Blue or AP551 (or any other high temp race fluid) within two weeks of the event. The dry boiling point is much higher then the stock which will keep your brakes working longer for you. If you plan on tracking the GTO a lot then I suggest at least carbon/kevlar pads with slotted rotors if it's available yet. This would be a less expensive brake upgrade then a total big brake kit.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
ghqman said:
It was a Sony Digital8, the 310 I think, I'll check when I get home, and it was the Sticky Pod Pro Pak. I think it generated a few extra puzzled looks on people's faces as I barreled down I-71, as I had it all in place for the drive down.
Thanks for the info. I've got a Sony DCR-TRV33 - it's one of those palm-sized MiniDV deals. I had been looking for a way to mount it in the car for when I go on long trips or when I go screwing around. This will do nicely I think.

·
Member +145mph club
298 Posts
Thanks, I'm using the Panasonic PV-GS15 Mini DV and I'm sure the sticky will do the job, I might try to get it past tech at my next SCCA solo II autocross event. Have you run at Nelson Ledges yet? The track is a little rough but only $120 a day for open lapping. Beaverun just the other side of the Pennsylvania border on I-76 is a realy nice track and runs $150 to $200 a day.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts