LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if others have had this problem. Ever time I drive over a small depression..(i.e. pot hole) in the road the front driver's side suspension rattles like nobody's business. Now mind you, it doesn't rattle if I hit a bump or both front wheels run over the same depression...only if I run over a small pot hole on the driver's side. Any suggestions, comments?

·
Registered
761 Posts
Normally this sounds like worn bushes- unlikely on a new car tho. But still u can cheak if any of them is faulty. And cheak u dont have one of those red dampers in your springs

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I don't see any red dampers and I'm not sure if I'd know a worn bushing if I saw one. Sounds like warrenty work to me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey putch, I just had mine in the dealer a couple weeks ago....similar incident...except I would get more of a clicking/ticking noise when I hit a small pot hole. Drivers side also....Dealer replaced the knuckle attatching bolts. Seemed to fix the problem. They said there was a service bulletin on that.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Billman. More than likely the same thing.....mine's going in A.S.A.P.

·
2004 GTO Impulse/Bermuda M6
149 Posts
I can confirm there is a service bulletin out for exactly what you described. I do not have the number handy but I can get it Monday if I remember. It is a very recent TSB, I believe it was dated within the last two weeks.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again!!! Looks like my toy is going to be spending a few nights at the dealer.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just picked up the Goat from the dealer. The repair was done per bulletin # 04-03-08-014. This bulletin calls for the dealer to retorque the upper stabilizer links and invert the front coil springs. Service told me the noise is being made by the spring hitting the shock because of the loose stabilizer links. All is well now!

·
Registered
237 Posts
I am having a similar problem and have taken my car to the dealer 4 times to have this fixed. First they replaced the struts - they claimed it did not solve the problem. Second they replaced the parts described in the TSB - still no go. Third they tried to tell me this was normal! I took it to another deal who swore up and down that my original dealer did not perform the TSB fix properly, and I am still getting this. Should I just tell them to retorque the upper stabilizer links and invert the front coil springs or would that be to much to ask? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, here it is 6 months later and I still have this front end rattle. The original fix worked for awhile but within a month or two started up again. Took it back a couple weeks ago...the tech and I took it for a spin. Afterwards he kicked the tire a few times and hit the caliper. No sound from the tire, but the caliper sounded like a tin can rolling down the hill with bolts in it. Loose brake pad. Anyway, they replaced the loose brake pads and the sound went away. Last night drive home I drive over a small expansion joint and bang/clang there's that damn sound again. Any suggestions/comments.

·
Bonzai Baby
211 Posts
Just curious - Can you hear the noise when you shut the driver's door?? I have a rattle/noise as well and can't figure out where it is. I was going to have the dealer check at the next maintenance.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's been my experience a rattle in the door is usually the window, assuming it's down. Mine, I think, is somewhere in the caliper. The last repair, replacing the brake pads, fixed the problem for about two weeks. I'm thinking there might be something wrong with the caliper. Mind you, the right side is fine.....no sounds of any kind.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts