LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dealer put on the front license plate holder before I had the chance to say that I ddn't want it on. So my question is if anyone else had this happen to them, and how did they take off the bracket, and what did the front end look like whe the bracket was removed?
Thanks

·
Registered
392 Posts
Tony, I'm not sure. My bracket package (I did not & will not put on) uses pot rivets..
So it could get pretty ugly depending on how they attached the holder.. I would ask the service people @ dealership. COS

·
Urban Redneck
117 Posts
Here in California, the front plate is required (once got a fixit ticket in LA for not having one). The kit that came with the car was apparently missing some parts, since there was no way to install it with what I had. So I used nylon zip ties to fasten the top of the plastic bracket to the top of the lower grill. No holes drilled, nothing permanent at all. If I ever want to remove the plate, a few snips with a pair of dyke cutters is all it will take.

The upper plate screws go all the way through the bracket, and probably rub on the bumber material, but in a place where marks can't be seen.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
The front plates are required in Virginia as well. The dealer had already installed the bracket. Removing the bracket would leave three holes in the front fascia just under the "honeycomb" grill. Mine is staying on because of that.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
There are several existing threads on front plates. If you take the bracket off, you'll have 3 gaping holes in the bumper

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
What if you bought your car out of state and they already installed the front bracket and drilled the holes?

Is there a way to cover these holes effectively? We are not required a front plate in AZ and I will remove the bracket as soon as I get the car. I just need to know the best way to patch the holes.

·
Yellow Goat
410 Posts
desertgoat said:
What if you bought your car out of state and they already installed the front bracket and drilled the holes?

Is there a way to cover these holes effectively? We are not required a front plate in AZ and I will remove the bracket as soon as I get the car. I just need to know the best way to patch the holes.
I was in this particular boat. I never had any intention of running the front plate but the stupid dealer attached the bracket right off the boat. Had I known it required drilling I would have moved on but it was too late. For now I went to the hardware store and bought three plastic plugs, the push in type with a ribbed shaft (No jokes!) and painted the ends to match. It looks OK but it's only temporary. When I get the nerve to pull the wing off I will get all the holes there and up front filled at once. This is what it looks like.

·
Urban Redneck
117 Posts
From that pic with the plugs I can see I mounted by bracket too low. I hope I won't be causing any cooling problems.

·
Registered
250 Posts
desertgoat said:

If the dealer hasn't received your car yet, you should be able to get them to leave it off. I would go so far as to tell them if they put it on, you won't buy the car from them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
ylwjaket

have no plate issue in NC, just luv the color of the Goat. Guess what color I own?
1COOLPC said:
I was in this particular boat. I never had any intention of running the front plate but the stupid dealer attached the bracket right off the boat. Had I known it required drilling I would have moved on but it was too late. For now I went to the hardware store and bought three plastic plugs, the push in type with a ribbed shaft (No jokes!) and painted the ends to match. It looks OK but it's only temporary. When I get the nerve to pull the wing off I will get all the holes there and up front filled at once. This is what it looks like.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
ylwjaket, PLEASE change the color of your font! I can't even read that yellow unless I highlight it. :D

1COOLPC, the front fascia is easy to remove. I've had mine off several times. You have to be paitent, though, because if you pull too hard you'll break off the retaining tabs. (Don't ask me how I know this. Just repeat after me, "Epoxy.")

1 - 11 of 11 Posts