LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to make some changes to my audio system, I'm not quite satisfied with it. I really dont want a sub box anymore and my soundstage was horrible until something I did the other day, more on that in a minute.

I've tried adjusting the gain and fader, crossover frequencies etc to bring my sound stage to the front. Then it dawned on me. The factory rear speakers are meant to be low pass units (I dont feel right calling them subs lol) and I was using midbass units in the rear deck instead and letting them pass full range. I then disconnected my sub (8" kicker square sub) and hooked in the rear 6.5's and left them as bass only. Yes. That helped it alot. Now my sound is coming from up front much more. I do think the punch 6.5" in the doors are lacking midrange compared to the 4 mb quart 6.5's in the rear locations.

With all of that explanations out of the way, I want to make the front sound better and louder. I think moving the mb quart 6.5's to the doors would help, but the mb quart tweets are lacking. I've constantly been on the search fro a fullrange or mid range speaker that would fit the dash location, i've had no luck with that. I even thought about getting another set of factory dash speakers but I doubt they would last. So, any of you guys found a dash speaker to fit besides a tweeter?

I have another idea, I was looking at some speakers from madisound called a silver flute. People rave about how good they sound and they are pretty cheap, also looking at a ribbon tweeter from dayton audio that has spectacular reviews. I'm pretty sure none of you guys have heard of either one of these tho.

·
Premium Member
2006 GTO IBM 6 Speed
559 Posts
I haven't personally tried but I believe these Infinity Kappa midrange speakers would fit plus they have a center screw so you can use the OEM bracket. They are 2" like the OEM driver. If I went Infinity door and rear corner coaxial, I'd run these in the dash.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't personally tried but I believe these Infinity Kappa midrange speakers would fit plus they have a center screw so you can use the OEM bracket. They are 2" like the OEM driver. If I went Infinity door and rear corner coaxial, I'd run these in the dash.

I saw those a while back but I felt like they were pricey. Those cost more than both my 6.5” separate sets I have. Lol. I’ll keep those in mind, but I’d probably splurge for the silverflutes and Dayton ribbon tweets first. But I do appreciate the reminder. I wish someone else made some of those at a more budget price. Yes...I’m cheap. :)

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I have a Dayton Audio sub in my home theater setup - Happy with it (fwiw).

I upgraded the sound system in my old Chevrolet truck and it made a world of difference to use a speaker baffle (Boom mat?) under the small 5x7 dash speakers. Not certain if there's room to do so in the GTO, but I'd try.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a Dayton Audio sub in my home theater setup - Happy with it (fwiw).

I upgraded the sound system in my old Chevrolet truck and it made a world of difference to use a speaker baffle (Boom mat?) under the small 5x7 dash speakers. Not certain if there's room to do so in the GTO, but I'd try.

So I tried those baffles in the door. It killed a lot of the lower bass frequencies and in my case they didn’t seem to like it. What they did like is sound deadening the doors. Sound much better. But I know there’s better sound to be had.

·
Wol Gemut
3,511 Posts
dude, if $150.00 pair is expensive, I have to agree with your assessment that you are cheap. nothing wrong with that. not sure i understand what you would do though if you put those in the oem tweeter location, where then would you put the tweets? I do believe they would fit though, I have the Morel Piccolo tweets there, which I believe are approx same size. but what I would consider is putting the midrange in the a pillar. that is where i have mine, and they are considerably larger. you will always have an incomplete front soundstage until you make it three way, the difference is staggering and that size seems pretty cool for the A pillars.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dude, if $150.00 pair is expensive, I have to agree with your assessment that you are cheap. nothing wrong with that. not sure i understand what you would do though if you put those in the oem tweeter location, where then would you put the tweets? I do believe they would fit though, I have the Morel Piccolo tweets there, which I believe are approx same size. but what I would consider is putting the midrange in the a pillar. that is where i have mine, and they are considerably larger. you will always have an incomplete front soundstage until you make it three way, the difference is staggering and that size seems pretty cool for the A pillars.
I’d spend $150 on many many other things, but I can’t seem to justify it for a pair of mid ranges. I’d pay $150 for a set of separates that sound better than what I have. I’ll be paying close to that with the silver flute mid basses and Dayton ribbon tweets. I’m getting a lot more for my money comparatively.

Where would I buy the tweets I have now if I put those in the dash? I’d make some brackets and mount them in the center of my mid basses and angle them upwards.
Like this:
(I know it’s not the best looking solution, but you can’t see them do who cares. I’m sure I could kill out a billet bracket, but the time it would take isn’t worth it$

·
Wol Gemut
3,511 Posts
tweets are very directional, I do not see efficient tweeters coming from that location. midrange and mid bass are fine maybe even better a bit off-axis, that location is not ideal for tweeters. (i know you said you'd angle them but there are a lot of obstructions from there to the ears). GTO has excellent stock location ... for tweeters. to each their own.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Aight. So I decided what I’m doing. I actually ordered parts this morning. I had already bought two 8” blaupunkts for the rear deck but I took the car apart yesterday and I do t like what I have to do to get those to fit. So I ordered a set of tang band w6 6.5” subs for the rear deck. I plan on sound framing the crap out of everything back there.
I ordered a set of silver flute 6.5” mid bass woofers for the front doors and a set of Dayton air motion tweets for the dash. I’ve read nothing but good all weekend about all three choices. I’m going to give my son a set of my mb quarts for his truck and put the Fosgate 6.5’s I have in the door now, in the rear quart panels. If the silver flutes sound as fantastic as I’ve been reading an they have noticeably more bass than the fosgates, I’ll get another set and put those in the quarter panels too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts