LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
2004 Torrid Red GTO
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I know our cars aren't exactly Hybrids when it comes to gas mileage, but I want to see how my driving habits stand up to the rest of the Goat community. So here's the question: what's your average gas mileage readout display just before you fill up your tank (in other words, what's your overall mileage)? I'm still waiting to finish my current tank to find out what I get under normal conditions. So...let me know your numbers! (Also please specify A4 or M6 if it's not in your profile/avitar.)

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
in the city i get about 13-15 but that is b/c there is a stop light every 30 ft.
on the highway i get about 22 if i keep it around 80. i can muster 25 if i keep it around 70

·
Registered
188 Posts
M6.. Overall average is about 12.5mpg. After my long tubes and CAI, it dropped to 10.5mpg. On the highway, it is around 26mpg..

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
I'm averaging 18 mpg mixed driving.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
I'm usually mid-14s in town, but I have seen as high as 15.7 on a tank...On the highway I have seen as high as 24.5 on a tank, but my last ~200mi trip this past weekend netted me a 20.6...Strong headwind going down and wouldn't you know it, changed directions in the evening. I'm usually about 22 on the highway.

Oh, and of course, this is an auto.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Mixed driving, I get about 16-17mpg according to the computer average.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
I'm averaging 51 MPG since installing the Tornado.

·
Registered
113 Posts
A4....16-17 city, 20ish highway. Mistermike, have you installed a tornado? If so, did it make any difference?

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
putch said:
A4....16-17 city, 20ish highway. Mistermike, have you installed a tornado? If so, did it make any difference?
Just jokin, man. There's been a running joke here about the Tornado saving so much fuel that the excess has to be occasionally drained from the tank.

Actually, to answer your question, yes, but not on the GTO. I bought a 3" one about 10 years ago (long before the infomercials) for my 89 Probe. It improved mileage very slightly, and made a noticeable difference in throttle response. I later put it on a 3.1L Cavalier Z-24 and it did absolutely nothing but take up space. It's currently on my 97 probe whose mods you can see below. The reason for using it now is that the car is running pretty rich after the headers were put on. Tuning a Ford is a royal PITA. The theory I'm currently embracing is that the Tornado might modify the airflow in such a way that it might cause more unmetered air to pass through the MAF sensor. Since the Ford uses a sampling tube well off-center in the MAF, there is at least a possibility that this might work. I haven't had it on long enough to really tell. I plan a little more research on the subject before making any claims as to whether it's working. I'm going to see if the averaging function on my Fluke DVM will allow me to get a handle on air/fuel ratio off the O2 sensors.
The "vortex" effect is at least intuitively appealing on a carbureted engine, but it's a bit of a stretch to envision how this vortex survives passing through a throttle and intake plenums on an EFI engine. Yet, some folks, particularly 3800 V6 owners claim impressive results. If it's fooling the MAF sensor, that might account for it. It not inconcieveable that a spinning air flow might be less subject to the effect of the "accordion" pleating on many MAF/TB tubes.
No two cars are exactly alike, particularly in the area of intake modifications on modern computerized engines.

·
Is that FWD?
1,101 Posts
A4, I average about 18mpg in the city and 24mpg on the highway.
Mine seems to be higher than most, but I still drive my car hard...

·
Registered
611 Posts
M6 getting about 17-19 in mostly city type driving. My computer is also a little off. It usually reads .6 gallons used more than what I actually put in. I have a road trip planned this weekend which should help loosen the engine and maybe improve things a little. Dave

·
Est. Apr 2004
5,861 Posts
M6 overall avg 20.5 MPG, but my driving is 80% highway. On pure highway driving I get around 26 MPG.

·
What the **** is an internet?
62 Posts
I get about 18 MPG mixed driving. On a side note I was playing with the instant MPG yesterday and turned the air cond. on and it dropped by 3MPG doing 60 MPH in 6th with the cruise on!!

·
I love my Goat!
5,963 Posts
It's my everyday car and I put about 600 mi/wk on it. Mostly 40-50 mph roads, and I get 17-18 if I'm gentle, 14 if I'm not. Went to Maine (250 mi of interstate) and got 23.5 for the trip, including a mid-stop to visit friends. Yes, they test drove it.

·
Senior's Member
2,853 Posts
17 on each tankful. Consistent. Was 15 before the CS Perf tube.

·
Single Digit Stick Shift
4,088 Posts
M12 tranny with 3.91 rear gears.

20.4 MPG is the highest I will get in 6th gear with cruise control on the freeway.
I usually get around 16-17 with the mixed driving I do.
A heavy foot probably adds to the problem

·
Senior's Member
2,853 Posts
Oh, and 29 highway by the EPA is a fabrication.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts