LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Single Digit Stick Shift
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am coming up around 10K miles and I wanted to change my fuel filter. I am wondering where it is located, inline or in the tank? Just staying on top of the preventative maintanence.

·
Registered
13,016 Posts
According to my catalog, it is located in the fuel pump module inside the tank.

·
Single Digit Stick Shift
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much. Been looking for it for a while.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Im not sure whether the location is the same as the Commodore, just to let you know I have gone 108,000km without changing the fuel filter, and car is still running great.

Jack up the car and look next to the diff, if there, you will see that it is held in place by a band with 2 hoses coming off each end, have to depressurise the fuel system before removing it obviously.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Sure wish I had read this thread (done this search) before buying one of those $38.00 fuel filters. When I opened the box, I thought, "Geesh, where does THIS go?"

So, here are some novice questions:
  • Should we really change this fuel filter every 10K miles or so? It looks like a "lifetime" filter to me.
  • How would you "de-pressurize" the fuel system?
  • Is this a job for a "shade tree mechanic", or should I take this part to the dealer and let THEM do it?
  • Where, exactly, is the fuel filter? Inside the tank, or out? I haven't found it yet.

·
Single Digit Stick Shift
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
FLORIT said:
  • Should we really change this fuel filter every 10K miles or so? It looks like a "lifetime" filter to me.
  • How would you "de-pressurize" the fuel system?
  • Is this a job for a "shade tree mechanic", or should I take this part to the dealer and let THEM do it?
  • Where, exactly, is the fuel filter? Inside the tank, or out? I haven't found it yet.
1. No you don't have to change them every 10K, but I was just trying to stay on top of maintanance and didn't want to sacrifice performance because of a lack of fuel getting to the car. Also not trying to make the pump work overtime.

2. There is a schrader valve on the front of the drivers' side fuel rail. Bleed the fuel and pressure from here.

3. From what I can see so far, maybe, maybe not, it is not a job for a shade tree mechanic unless they are experienced in removing fuel tanks and bracings from the trunk of a car.

4. I still have not found the fuel pump with my eyes, but I believe it is somewhere in the trunk with the rest of the fuel components.

I believe GTPprix can give everyone a bit more info upon the actual location of the fuel pump.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hey there, 1st reply. Lurking for a few months now.I was just looking at all the general maintenance stuff in the Helms books for the GTO and was upset to find out that the fuel filter is inside the tank and part of the pump assembly. They couldn't make it inline with the fuel lines :banghead:

Tank removal looks straightfoward, drain it, couple bolts under the car, 3 bolts at the fuel neck, tank strap bolts, wire harness and it should slide out.

Tricky part looks like removal of the pump assembly to access the filter. Theres a special wrench needed to unscrew the pump from the tank. Kind of looks like a wrench needed to remove/tighten a home water filter

·
Est. Apr 2004
5,861 Posts
04purpleGTO said:
Hey there, 1st reply. Lurking for a few months now.I was just looking at all the general maintenance stuff in the Helms books for the GTO and was upset to find out that the fuel filter is inside the tank and part of the pump assembly. They couldn't make it inline with the fuel lines :banghead:

Tank removal looks straightfoward, drain it, couple bolts under the car, 3 bolts at the fuel neck, tank strap bolts, wire harness and it should slide out.

Tricky part looks like removal of the pump assembly to access the filter. Theres a special wrench needed to unscrew the pump from the tank. Kind of looks like a wrench needed to remove/tighten a home water filter

WOW I hope we don't have to change those every 10,000 miles! :banghead:

·
baaaaahhh
269 Posts
NO NEED TO CHANGE YOUR FUEL FILTER unless, of course, you have the symptoms of a dirty filter (car bogs while trying to accelerate). Just use good fuel.......not discount fuel. And periodically use a fuel system cleaner (add to near empty tank BEFORE filling tank)

·
Administrator
9,498 Posts
NO NEED TO CHANGE YOUR FUEL FILTER unless, of course, you have the symptoms of a dirty filter (car bogs while trying to accelerate). Just use good fuel.......not discount fuel. And periodically use a fuel system cleaner (add to near empty tank BEFORE filling tank)
Yes, we know. And you didn't have to bump a thread started 3 years ago and last posted in 2 years ago, just to tell us. :stickpoke

·
Administrator
20,476 Posts
Yes, we know. And you didn't have to bump a thread started 3 years ago and last posted in 2 years ago, just to tell us. :stickpoke
Good advice is timeless.

·
HPT Street Tuner
3,629 Posts
+1, no need to replace your fuel filter, or at least Holden didn't want us replacing the fuel filter every 10-20k miles as we're already used to it with other cars.
my 2002 jeep liberty also have the fuel filter inside the fuel tank, and its been running for 92000 miles with no fuel problems at all. i've done a couple of system injector cleaning stuff at my local oil lube places every 40k miles, i've never really cared about gas brands and what not with that truck, it takes 87 octane from the first gast station i see when i need to fill the gas tank, and so far so good... i don't think we'd need to worry about our fuel filters for a good while.

·
HPT Street Tuner
3,629 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,113 Posts
Holly COW.

I was going to start calling billygoat names as I was there when he did his fuel pump. Please look at the date folks before you post.

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
I still want to add one inline on both of my 05 cars.
I know its non return but I could check filter from time to time and see if any problems. I see so many bad filters @ work on return cars.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts