LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like my fuel pump is going bad and looking to replace it and have seen some with the whole fuel pump housing/assembly.do I need the whole housing or just the fuel pump?

·
Worthless reject member
39,382 Posts
You're better off replacing the whole bucket, imho. You get new filter and this way as well, and it is a drop in deal.

Replacing just the pump can be done but it involves disassembly of the bucket, the tabs on which can break if you are not careful. You are also reusing the fuel filter unless you can locate a replacement for that as well. Not sure if they are still available.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
I agree that it is much easier to replace the whole bucket. Getting the O-rings to seal properly after taking the bucket apart up to put in a new pump can be an issue (in addition to the risk of breaking the tabs). If you do replace the pump and use your bucket, be sure you lubricate the O-rings when installing the new pump.

DeatschWerks makes a pump that is a direct fitment with the stock bucket and has a higher volume than the stock pump, and it comes with a filter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What’s the better one to get? I’ve seen oem housing buckets for a 05 and 06 don’t know if those fit the 04 tho,or do I go with something more expensive like the ac delco?

·
Worthless reject member
39,382 Posts
I've used spectra with no issues in both vehicles. Both times they (appeared to be) repackaged acdelco units. They looked identical to the oem units.

I have had a DeatschWerks pump fail, although i speculate it was largely in part due to the fuel filter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I looked at the spectra but didn’t know how they work and they about half the price compared to a new ac delco

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
You're better off replacing the whole bucket, imho. You get new filter and this way as well, and it is a drop in deal.

Replacing just the pump can be done but it involves disassembly of the bucket, the tabs on which can break if you are not careful. You are also reusing the fuel filter unless you can locate a replacement for that as well. Not sure if they are still available.
if this HELPS..... the fuel filter part number is S13073 from oreilly

and the stupid fuel line clips that break part number is Dorman 800-023

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
that's the sock, not the filter.

well.....its sort of a filter. lol. either way, I had hell finding the part number so i figured I'd post in case someone else needed it. That part number is like $8 and iirc, you look up for a GTO, its like $40-$50 and no one stocks it. This part number is the exact same filter that comes in the car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts