LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Admin
9,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who own L67 powered vehicles like a GTP or a Buick GS like myself at one time or another you might have been stranded.... for hours ... like I was tonight... in the rain... you get the idea. There is a 3" ceramic "horse shoe" which is a fuel pump resistor. The fuel pump can run in 2 speeds. The car starts in high speed and after a few seconds the resistor kicks it into the low speed. When this resistor overheats or dies the car will not start.

I now carry an extra one with me because this is the 3rd time in 111,000 miles that I have been stranded. Its a $20 part that takes 2 seconds to swap. Its not worth being stranded over.

Well, as I drive home I thought back to two things that I have seen before. When I had my front clip off my GTO and I was detailing behind there (yes I know ... I have problems) I saw the same ceramic horseshoe. Then I put 2 and 2 together. I remember reading a note in HP tuners under the Engine's Torque Management tab. Max Torque [See attachment] ... the note states that some Holden Vehicles reduce fuel pump voltage when torque is below that value. If you increase this value fuel pressure will then be reduced. That happens because it thinks it is not going balls to the walls so its ok to lower fuel pressure.

So that brings me to two different questions. Do some people have fuel pressure/delivery problems because of this variable in the tuning software. And more importantly - some day in 5 years will this be a common pain in the ass?

Thoughts ... Questions .... Similar Experiences???

PS - mad props to my man GMH GTO who drove for an hour after finding a dealership's parts department that was open at 9:30 pm.

Attachments

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts

·
I'm gonna get you!
2,812 Posts
The later model gtp's (01+) I think do not have the resister. You may eant to see whats involved with changing over to the newer system.

·
Registered
464 Posts
It was a lot due to the location of the resitor in the earlier GTP's. GM had a fix for it where they put a metal shield over it. They didn't learn from MOPAR when back in the day their's would always cut out. I remember from my GP days that was a common fix.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Lightnings also use them, and yes, some cause problems. Mine did, so I eliminated it, and added an adjustable fuel pressure regulator to get my normal pressure when cruising/idling. Not sure it's as easy on the GTO to just remove and have the system work.

Jody

·
Nothin but Pontiacs
35 Posts
GTP resistor

This happened to my 98 GTP.
Fixed under warranty at the time. I had an extended warranty.
It was moved away from the firewall to the front of the engine bay to get it into cooler air.
It never reoccured. Traded it for my GTO.

Are you guys saying this could happen to the GTO?
Where is it located?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts