LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
MBM/M6
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody thought about removing the stock fuel tank and putting a fuel cell in the hole under the trunk? Is that even do-able? I'm thinking it might be good for center of gravity, hence better handling. Not to mention the fact that the trunk might actually be usable.

Don't fuel cells have a rubber liner or something so the thing doesn't leak fuel all over in the case of a rear-ender?

·
2004 Torrid Red GTO
1,119 Posts
why do you think GM moved the tank in the first place? If you place a fuel cell under the floor, you'll not only set your self up for fireball mode if you get in a rear-end collision, but you'll also hit the exhaust hardware AND your factory gas cap won't be functional.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
The Monaro has 0 history of rear end collision fires. It was moved because of paranoid corporate lawyers pandering to our greedy, lawsuit-happy American society, not any serious engineering issues.

·
BJ is gone....
1,742 Posts
I believe what you say, however, we unfortunately live in a time where it's almost mandatory to CYA all the time. Look at the Pinto debacle. GM didn't want to chance that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts