LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone else wondered what kind of wieght savings (and increased space) might be had by retrofitting a monaro fuel tank to the gto in the original position.

would probably help handling to lower all that gas too.

as far as fire hazard goes, i'm willing to trust the aussie engineers.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
It's more than just the tank. Even if you remove it and swap in the Monaro unit, the floorpan for the GTO is adjusted to accomodate it I would presume. Hence you'd have to have a body shop then fix your floor pan to get that trunk space back.

Then there's all those legal and inspection issues if you have to endure those.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just hope there is still room for a nitrous bottle back there, I want to go straight quick.

·
Registered
386 Posts
The thought of being "pintosized" is enough to keep me happy with whatever they did to keep the gas tank safe. Whatever fractional improvement in performance does little good if you're in a barbecue that seats four. And there's ALWAYS room for a nitrous bottle.

·
Registered
835 Posts
yes, you'll have to change the exhaust if you move the gas tank, I read on one of the australian articles that they can't get our exhaust because it won't fit with their gas tank location.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have to say that the lack of trunk space is the worst thing about the new GTO. It is so strange to open the trunk only to find a "bulkhead" blocking off most of the trunk.

I doubt that you can get two sets of golf clubs into the trunk.:mad:

·
Refuse to lose.
3,509 Posts
I'll let everyone know how a fuel cell install works out this winter. ;)

·
Goatless
745 Posts
Wow, that's diggin way back, this is thread #195, almost the bottom of the ocean.....

·
Look at me.
2,833 Posts
If you're interested in weight savings and having more trunk space, get a mid-size fuel tank and you could put it in either the trunk, or the Aussie tank location under the car.

Sure you'll have to fill up more often, but to me that's the only worthwhile solution.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts