LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for some odd reason my goat keeps blowing the main fuse in the fuse box under the hood!! it will only blow it if i turn the key to turn engine over. turn the ignition on and everything lights up like theres no problem so i know its not the pcm, im thinking starter cable grounding somewhere?? i have not idea! i bout to take to dealeer if i cant find problem, need help!!

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Have you done a header install or anything? Sounds like the heat shield on the starter may have popped off and is shorting out. Not that I learned from experience or anything :D lol.
Joe

·
METAL!!!
1,884 Posts
Definitely sounds like the starter wire is grounded somewhere. That's just about the only thing that can pull enough power to blow the main fuse without blowing any others.

·
resident lugnut
1,027 Posts
Starter/solenoid could have gone bad or a cable short like everyone else said. Inspect cable and do the wiggle test. I thought the solenoid always had a hot leg from the battery on it, might be wrong.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Starter/solenoid could have gone bad or a cable short like everyone else said. Inspect cable and do the wiggle test. I thought the solenoid always had a hot leg from the battery on it, might be wrong.
It does get it's hot leg from the batt, but the wire that energizes the solenoid when you hit the key isn't hot until you turn the key :). I have (ahem) *seen* where the shield gets knocked out of place and up against that wire and it blows the main fuse when you go to crank it. It can take quite a while to find the first time it happens to you lol..
Joe

Reactions: OweGto

·
Registered
105 Posts
Had one like that before , took the belt off and no more blown fuse, alternator was shorted and when it started to rotate it would blow the fuse, just a thought

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you done a header install or anything? Sounds like the heat shield on the starter may have popped off and is shorting out. Not that I learned from experience or anything :D lol.
Joe
i found the problem exactly what u said i wiggled it and it sparked a little so i knew it wasnt on were it should be, must off moved from the motor twisting. i noticed there is a square piece of metal that sticks down it was arcing on that im so happy it wasnt something major, just cost me $3 for blown fuse. thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2 Posts
for some odd reason my goat keeps blowing the main fuse in the fuse box under the hood!! it will only blow it if i turn the key to turn engine over. turn the ignition on and everything lights up like theres no problem so i know its not the pcm, im thinking starter cable grounding somewhere?? i have not idea! i bout to take to dealeer if i cant find problem, need help!!
I had to replace the starter on my 06 gto. It was doing the same thing. No problems now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had to replace the starter on my 06 gto. I bought a cheap one and the internals failed drastically. I got the original rebuilt and no problems now.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Just wondering if you knew that this post was from back on 08'

Reactions: OweGto
1 - 12 of 12 Posts