LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
13 year owner
Joined
·
16,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They tried at Speed Inc yesterday while doing my clutch to put on an aftermarket shifter and it didn't work.
 

·
May I quote you on that?
Joined
·
22,046 Posts
CMNT, I'm taking my car into Hurst this coming Thursday for a fitting. (Living in Cleveland, on rare occasions, has its advantages.) Will keep you posted as to results. Also, conversations with a few Aussies HERE are self explanatory. Apparently how they do the pivot lends itself to easy modification. I'm still trying to sort out the finer points of dissasembly. If you have any tips, please PM or post. THX
 

·
Still plays with cars...
Joined
·
521 Posts
Please do post the results of your fitting with the Hurst shifter - like you, I've always been impressed with the quality of Hurst products (dating back to the '60s). Would really like a Hurst shifter in my GTO (particularly since that's what the original GTOs came with). Thanks and good luck.
 

·
Goatman
Joined
·
228 Posts
I'm also interested, and I agree- the Hurst shifter in my '67 is sweet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
293 Posts
I agree, The His/Her shifter would be great. Especially since it's my wifes car.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
504 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
They tried at Speed Inc yesterday while doing my clutch to put on an aftermarket shifter and it didn't work.
Details please! What didn't work or why didn't it fit?? :confused:
 

·
13 year owner
Joined
·
16,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thgink it has to do with the shifter handle/shifter knob. But that I can't verify.
 

·
Still plays with cars...
Joined
·
521 Posts
mistermike said:
CMNT, I'm taking my car into Hurst this coming Thursday for a fitting. (Living in Cleveland, on rare occasions, has its advantages.) Will keep you posted as to results. Also, conversations with a few Aussies HERE are self explanatory. Apparently how they do the pivot lends itself to easy modification. I'm still trying to sort out the finer points of dissasembly. If you have any tips, please PM or post. THX
Any update on how the fitting for the Hurst shifter went? Also, any idea when they might be producing a shifter for the GTO?
 

·
May I quote you on that?
Joined
·
22,046 Posts
They've had the car, removed the stock shifter and analyzed it, photographed it, and took a lot of measurements. The product manager I deal with was out to the Winter Nationals this week, so I haven't heard back from him yet. The shifter will have to be built from scratch. There is nothing in the current Hurst parts bin that will work on this car. What I wind up with will likely be a hand built prototype. There are some marketing considerations to be worked out, such as whether to supply an upper stick/boot/knob as standard fare or option. The GTO has a 2 piece stick. The upper stick/boot/knob can basically be treated as a single assembly. They don't really come apart without destroying something. I'm sure some will want to retain the original knob and leather boot, as I'm sure others might want a T handle, or traditional Hurst ball. I suggested to them that they offer it both ways. Maybe a survey is in order.
Anyhow, once the details are finalized, then it will be scheduled for production at their manufacturing facility. I have no details on a timetable at present. I am considering bringing up the topic of a group purchase with them. I'm not sure if they would go for that idea since they are not in the direct sales business and would likely anger their dealer network with such a move, but I'll ask anyhow. Or perhaps a special purchase through one of their retailers for LS1GTO members. When the time gets close, DY might consider polling our advertisers on something along these lines.
I will certainly keep everyone posted as things develop.
 

·
Still plays with cars...
Joined
·
521 Posts
mistermike said:
They've had the car, removed the stock shifter and analyzed it, photographed it, and took a lot of measurements. The product manager I deal with was out to the Winter Nationals this week, so I haven't heard back from him yet. The shifter will have to be built from scratch. There is nothing in the current Hurst parts bin that will work on this car. What I wind up with will likely be a hand built prototype. There are some marketing considerations to be worked out, such as whether to supply an upper stick/boot/knob as standard fare or option. The GTO has a 2 piece stick. The upper stick/boot/knob can basically be treated as a single assembly. They don't really come apart without destroying something. I'm sure some will want to retain the original knob and leather boot, as I'm sure others might want a T handle, or traditional Hurst ball. I suggested to them that they offer it both ways. Maybe a survey is in order.
Anyhow, once the details are finalized, then it will be scheduled for production at their manufacturing facility. I have no details on a timetable at present. I am considering bringing up the topic of a group purchase with them. I'm not sure if they would go for that idea since they are not in the direct sales business and would likely anger their dealer network with such a move, but I'll ask anyhow. Or perhaps a special purchase through one of their retailers for LS1GTO members. When the time gets close, DY might consider polling our advertisers on something along these lines.
I will certainly keep everyone posted as things develop.
Thanks very much for the comprehensive update. I agree with you that it should be offered both ways. I'm not sure right now which way I would prefer to go - I want to keep the car stock-looking, but the traditional Hurst lever/ball is also appealing from the "nostalgia" standpoint...look forward to future developments. Thanks again.
 

·
13 year owner
Joined
·
16,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What about the base that bolts to the trans. That should be relatively the same as it's the same T56 used elsewhere. It'd either use the Viper or F-Body shifter point. From there, I knew the stick itself was different and not a simple design like the F-Body. :rolleyes:
 

·
May I quote you on that?
Joined
·
22,046 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
What about the base that bolts to the trans. That should be relatively the same as it's the same T56 used elsewhere. It'd either use the Viper or F-Body shifter point. From there, I knew the stick itself was different and not a simple design like the F-Body. :rolleyes:
I wasn't there in the flesh when they took it apart. Basically, he told me that the shifter is much further back than where it is on the f-body. Makes sense, since the motor is much farther forward. They make shifters for fbod, vette, and I'm not sure what else that uses the T-56, and were not able to easily adapt anything. An interesting twist is that, since they're starting from scratch, they're considering having 2 user-selectable pivot points, trading off throw for effort.
 

·
13 year owner
Joined
·
16,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
mistermike said:
I wasn't there in the flesh when they took it apart. Basically, he told me that the shifter is much further back than where it is on the f-body. Makes sense, since the motor is much farther forward. They make shifters for fbod, vette, and I'm not sure what else that uses the T-56, and were not able to easily adapt anything. An interesting twist is that, since they're starting from scratch, they're considering having 2 user-selectable pivot points, trading off throw for effort.
There are two boxes (or points) on the T56 for shifter placement. One midway on the trans. This is the Viper point for a shifter mount. A block off plate is installed over the back one to keep it sealed. The is other point is at the back of the trans just to the left and above the output shaft of the trans. This is where F-Body's mount their shifters (and subsequently the Viper point has the block off plate).

So unless there is a custom fabbed mount to relocate the shifter for the GTO it has to be in one of those two points.
 

·
Old GTO Owner
Joined
·
2,812 Posts
Eventually, all the major shifter makers will have shifters for the GTO. Historically, the Hurst internal rail billett for the F-body and the OEM Hurst for the F-body have been lousy shifters as compared to say the B&M or the Kirban or the 5.0Pro
 

·
13 year owner
Joined
·
16,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Agreed about the Hurst thing.

I’ve had both B&M and a Kirban in an F-Body. Both have plusses and minusses.

The B&M has a shorter stick for true quick slap shifting (Just banging the stick between gates) but suffers from a little bit more “notchiness” than I like. The Kirban on the other hand trades up for a longer stick, but slices through the gates with butter smooth precision. Very minimal “notchiness” (just enough drag to let you know you’re passing through the gate) and excellent articulation through the whole shift pattern.

Both have vastly improved billet bases vs. the stamped steel flimsy unit from the factory, have adjustable stops, and are all around better units than the stock piece.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,691 Posts
Guy's, this is good stuff for someone not having done a lot of this. I would like to ask a question though...

Would you still consider changing the shifter if you were only (mostly) going to use it as your daily commute?
 

·
13 year owner
Joined
·
16,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes.

The stock shifter is numb, vague, has poorly defined gates, and is cheap in general.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
571 Posts
Can you guys twist the shift knop around a little? Mine feels like the shaft is made of rubber. The throw and gate seem fine but the part the knob is on is rubbery.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top