LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Moving Forward
Joined
·
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see that many people have a paticular tire that they like or feel is better then others. Just to let you know that many tire makers actually make multiple brands. Michelin North America, Inc, makes BF Goodrich, Uniroyal, and Cavalier (Goodrich Corp sold the BFGoodrich name in 1986). Bridgestone Americas Holding, Inc. makes Bridgestone, Firestone and Dayton tires. In many cases tires that are more generic are actually tires that are made by a company like Goodyear for that company. Costco has a tire center in many of their warehouses in the Northeast and sells the Kirkland brand tires. From what i can tell they are actually made by Michelin.
Overall i use the best tires i can afford. People seem to go for those $100 for 4 tires at Pepboys without giving it a thought. What i think is really funny is that the only thing holding you and your car on the road are your tires. Why would you go cheap when this is what saves your life and can make the difference of your cars stopping power. Be smart and look in Consumer Reports for the differences with All-season (for those up north) to tires geared for more warmer climates.
 

·
Gone but not forgotten
Joined
·
4,672 Posts
Razinhell said:
I see that many people have a paticular tire that they like or feel is better then others. Just to let you know that many tire makers actually make multiple brands. Michelin North America, Inc, makes BF Goodrich, Uniroyal, and Cavalier (Goodrich Corp sold the BFGoodrich name in 1986). Bridgestone Americas Holding, Inc. makes Bridgestone, Firestone and Dayton tires. In many cases tires that are more generic are actually tires that are made by a company like Goodyear for that company. Costco has a tire center in many of their warehouses in the Northeast and sells the Kirkland brand tires. From what i can tell they are actually made by Michelin.
Overall i use the best tires i can afford. People seem to go for those $100 for 4 tires at Pepboys without giving it a thought. What i think is really funny is that the only thing holding you and your car on the road are your tires. Why would you go cheap when this is what saves your life and can make the difference of your cars stopping power. Be smart and look in Consumer Reports for the differences with All-season (for those up north) to tires geared for more warmer climates.
thanks for the good info.
its just the difference between any name brand and no name brand products. a lot of the time its the same stuff, just a different name and packaging.
 

·
GTOholic
Joined
·
1,504 Posts
I could not find a Kelly tire to fit my GTO, but I have run Kelly tires on my Grand Am since I bought it. The low wear is AMAZING. (I've put 100K miles on this car, and this is only my second set of tires... and they have LOTS of life left.) The Kelly tires look great, ride well, and as I said, last a long time. Too bad they didn't make them in the sizes I wanted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,214 Posts
Tires are a very important thing for all aspects of driving from handling to braking. Key is speed rating and tread wear. If the tire goes for ever it offers no handling, no braking, no grip.

It's a balance of performance and price. Name is just that a name. Paying for a good tire is always worth it no matter who makes it.
 

·
Knight Errant
Joined
·
1,800 Posts
ABS & Tires

Remember too, the ABS System will only allow the car to stop as good as your tires grip. Want to see the Goat stop faster? Change from the KDWS to the KD. You'd go from a dry traction rating of 8.7 to a 9.5 The increased stckiness of the tire will pull the car down a LOT harder before ABS will activate to prevent slide. That 126 foot stopping distance will be just a bad memory and you'll be peeling yourself off the windshield. Just drive like a granny lady in the rain... ;)

Oh!...and they work real good on the acceleration side as well, cornering and sterring response too. Be careful of those half-shafts trying burn outs and at the strip. They are not as good as a slick or some of the cheater slick tires, but pretty darn close.... ;)
 

·
GTOholic
Joined
·
1,504 Posts
Old Goat said:
Be careful of those half-shafts trying burn outs and at the strip. They are not as good as a slick or some of the cheater slick tires, but pretty darn close.
Would putting drag radials on my stock wheels to run at the track put my half-shafts and rear end at risk?

I've already bought two Nitto 555R tires which I plan on putting on my stock wheels when my after-market wheels arrive. I was looking forward to going back to the track with some competitive tires. Now I am wondering if the drag radials will put too much stress on my stock rear end.

The street tires SUCK at the track, so if the drag radials are a significant risk, I may need to quit my drag racing career before it begins.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,124 Posts
FLORIT said:
Would putting drag radials on my stock wheels to run at the track put my half-shafts and rear end at risk?
You are only as strong as your weakest link. Someone famous said that but I can't remember who. LOL

If your tires grip real good, I think it will put additional stress on your driveshaft and differential. How much additonal stress I don't know. Some of the other people in here would probably know better.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top