LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
HGH Optimist
6,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Impossible Burger thread here on the forum got me thinking about this documentary. Guys in the fantasy football group started talking about it, and the discussions that followed on Joe Rogan's podcast, so it got me to watch.

I'll admit, the documentary sucked me in with the first watch. Afterwards, I watched this:

Once you go back and give it a second look, a lot of things seem to be... forced.

I now need to listen to/watch this one:

Anyone see any of these? Thoughts?

My wife had a life goal to be 100% vegan by 50 years old. Not my mindset, at all... so it'll be interesting to hear what everyone else has to say about it.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Haven’t watched anything about the context. Never given any thought to being vegan. Not entirely sure why anyone would do it.

·
HGH Optimist
6,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haven’t watched anything about the context. Never given any thought to being vegan. Not entirely sure why anyone would do it.
Well... neither have I. I still haven't, in fact.

Just a lot of the stuff on the documentary was interesting. Like... for a minute or two... it makes you think that it could be a good idea. After watching the Joe Rogan shows, those things started to become more clear on the next watch.

Was just curious about what some people thought about any and/or all of the science behind everything.

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
9,540 Posts
full on vegan isn't healthy without lots of work. As there isn't really much in the way of protiens and full chains that appear in vegetable products. SO now you eat alot of milk, cheese, or "other" sources. Yes there is lots of protien in beans of various types but it's not quite as good for you as say a decent piece of lean deer.

And this could be a great discussion topic as I've only researched a little since the wifey had this gastric sleeve surgey and she has to eat manufacturered things for some period of time. And yes I'm not happy about it but longer rant for another decade.

to that end. There is some research that suggests that women would benefit a more vegan diet than men would. The idea that hormone chemistry and processing differences make that big a difference. I find it intersting that if you ask a cardiologist for example you don't see any/many supporting a vegan diet. I mean it has to be the best possible right. And there is some research that says if you are on the high plaque/high cholesterol camp major shift in your eating will potentially, partially reverse some of that. but not completely or they'd be out of business. but the reality is there is only so much fiber can do for you.

Now a diet based on your body chemisty - and adjusted as your chemistry adjusts is a good idea. we all probably need to see an endocrinologist.

Total vegan I don't think is the answer but there is a few good points to it. Sustainability is BS. Yes there is alot of talk about how all the cow farts cause global warming. again let's toss out the fact that a large section of the ocean is also dead which attributes for significant air cleaning. I do think in america our options are a touch limited as far as what is in the stores. YOu see bison occasionally as it's farmed. OK so why not more of that. Biodiversity is I think a bigger angle that we give credit for.

corn syrup is sort of the devil. soda is bad . But there is a new angle that says the bigger overall issue is the increase is body tissue inflamation as a detriment to many things and one of the reasons the vegan diet helps people. But then chesse is bad.

TLDR - living things are complicated and there are too many dollars involved to believe everything you read/see/hear even if it is from joe rogan. Netflix has other good documentaries too, I've liked most of the rotten series.

·
HGH Optimist
6,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Total vegan I don't think is the answer but there is a few good points to it. Sustainability is BS. Yes there is alot of talk about how all the cow farts cause global warming. again let's toss out the fact that a large section of the ocean is also dead which attributes for significant air cleaning. I do think in america our options are a touch limited as far as what is in the stores. YOu see bison occasionally as it's farmed. OK so why not more of that. Biodiversity is I think a bigger angle that we give credit for.
I mentioned how my wife wanted to be 100% Vegan by 50.

When I got her to sit and watch the documentary with me, she bought into a lot of the hype. I told her I'm more a fan of her being on the Whole 30, rather than going completely vegan. She would sometimes go way past the 30 days of it. I think she said her personal record was something like 90+ days on the Whole 30.

Granted, it's already tough for her to stay on Whole 30.

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
9,540 Posts
Does she have weight issues or is she just unhappy and thinks she needs to be thinner to be happy. She might need to see an endocrinologist. Or at a minimum have a full panel done by with per GYN or an internalist.

·
HGH Optimist
6,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not a weight thing.

She had a lot of stomach issues that went undocumented. Doctors said cancer, first. Not even joking. Then they assumed she had a couple other things. Then ruled them out. They wanted her to get on medication that would've messed her up, so she refused.

Decided to try out the Whole 30. She said most of her stomach issues went away.

She also has Lyme's Disease, so her stomach thing could've been a whole lot of stuff. She doesn't exactly have Celiac Disease, but she found she was pretty sensitive to gluten. Whole 30 also helped with that.

·
HGH Optimist
6,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A couple months ago, she went on her Whole 30, along with a No Nightshades diet. She said she hadn't felt that good in a long time.

Finding food that she could eat was tough, though. Especially since she loves spicy food.

·
The redheaded stepchild
669 Posts
Like any skill, it takes practice. You figure out what works for you and what doesn't. I went vegan 5 years ago and I've figured out what is best for me but your choices ultimately dictate your level of success. It's easy to get lazy and lean on highly processed foods which no matter what is in them (plants or dead animals), processed foods are not the best choice. Whole fruits, vegetables, and legumes cover most of your micronutritional needs. Throw in some nut and seeds and some nutritional yeast for B12 and you're pretty much set. What I find most difficult is dealing with food culture. Many people just can't handle the fact that I choose not to consume shitty animal products (friends, family, co-workers, etc) and genuinely have a problem with it. Dealing with the willful ignorance and stupidity is a constant annoyance. I don't care that you enjoy devouring garbage animal flesh past the point of sickness and continually complain about various self-induced medical problems but me thriving by eating plants and enjoying a high level of fitness is offensive.

·
HGH Optimist
6,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What I find most difficult is dealing with food culture. Many people just can't handle the fact that I choose not to consume shitty animal products (friends, family, co-workers, etc) and genuinely have a problem with it. Dealing with the willful ignorance and stupidity is a constant annoyance. I don't care that you enjoy devouring garbage animal flesh past the point of sickness and continually complain about various self-induced medical problems but me thriving by eating plants and enjoying a high level of fitness is offensive.
You're literally doing the same thing on the opposite end, aren't you?

But... ok.

·
1 of 40,757
6,242 Posts
Dirty plasma after meat burrito night convinced me that, while animal protein is a good thing, the rest of it isn’t. The other point that hit home was the fact that all this amazing beef is produced by feeding animals plants.
With that said, all these soy/plant based “meats” give me the worst/best gas ever.
We’ve cut back on every meal being meat based to about 50/50. I’ve lost 10 lbs since.

·
HGH Optimist
6,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Note to self: Don't make a comment about Rex's words because he uses those bullshit "trigger words" to assume someone else is triggered.

Don't flatter yourself. Wasn't triggered at all. You went ape-shit about food culture and their reaction... yet you did the same exact thing. Your words don't scare me. Go vegan all you want. That's your choice.

But don't act like you didn't froth at the mouth to go all gung-ho AGAINST meat-eaters and their scary words they said about you.

·
HGH Optimist
6,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
HGH Optimist
6,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You call the 3 comments you made "retorts"?

K...

·
Worthless Staff Mbr
54,469 Posts
This is the lounge, we don't need constructive retorts.

I haven't watched the documentary, I'm also against vegan. You want to cut back on your meat consumption and eat more veggies and whole grains? I'm all for that.

·
HGH Optimist
6,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is the lounge, we don't need constructive retorts.
Well, then...

I haven't watched the documentary, I'm also against vegan. You want to cut back on your meat consumption and eat more veggies and whole grains? I'm all for that.
Y U NO H8 MEAT!?

You're obviously a racist!

·
HGH Optimist
6,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm like an hour in to the Game Changers Debate that I linked in the OP.

James Wilks definitely had the science to back up some of his claims in the documentary. So some of the stuff he has is quite true, it seems.

Dude is a dick when it comes to a debate, though.

·
HGH Optimist
6,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just finished the Debate episode on JRE.

James Wilks definitely proved a lot of his studies to be true. However, he kept dodging a lot of questions that were given to him to further elaborate on some of his points.

He would accuse Chris of switching topics... but I saw more of James asking questions that he had NO intention of letting Chris answer. Then when Chris would try to answer the initial question, James would already be on his 3rd follow-up topic... and blame Chris for not staying on topic.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts