LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sick of buying expensive hoses that make a dude want to go suicidal.

What have you all out there found that you like and find to be a pleasure to use?

Do any of you use those super light expando hoses that seem to be all the rage? Are they strong enough to take a beating?

I need at least 75 feet.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts

What have you all out there found that you like and find to be a pleasure to use?

Do any of you use those super light expando hoses that seem to be all the rage? Are they strong enough to take a beating?

I need at least 75 feet.
You tend to lose pressure with those expando chicken hoses. Good for older folks because they are lighter.

My next hose will be: Garden Hose

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
9,679 Posts
well you say you need 75 ft but what you really need is 250. I kid only a little. I gave up after this last move so I started doing this.

Step 1) hose reel on both spigots outside the house. sadly I only have 2 would like a 3rd but that's a geometry thing.
Step 2) distance from each hose reel you effectively need - 2a) consider one hose reel as a rolling widget so you can tie the hoses together.
Step 3 - covered hose reels do help your hose last longer - UV is a biatch.
Step 4) 5/8 garden hose is the only size, that cheaper 1/2 shit for for the birds
Step 5) can you get a hose that's made in the USA - my personal check, not always possible.

SO I ended up with a 50ft and 100 ft hoses with hex boss ends (not that gimp knurled shit) - with a brand name I think was something like Neverkink but I see a few marketed as tire brands. Continential and goodyear come to mind. SO michelin should be soon. OH and Flexzillia is also great same outer material as their fancy coldweather air hoses.

The neverkink stuff was made in the use and in 17 they were something like 27 for the 50,s but 40 for the 100. I have the one fifty becaasue it is more than plenty for it's one function - rinsing off the car - and I was going to cut it anyway.

The 100's. 2 are on one hose reel in the front - let's me get almost to the end of the driveway, and the other 100 is on the reel with wheels. When I have to I can wheel it over and join up the ends.

Why so much to get to the end corner of my yard with watering or weed spray I have to have over 250 yards of hose to get there.

Now that the hoses live in shade most of the summer 3 years in and not a problem. I've had more issues with the damn nozzle ends.

·
Super Moderator
11,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting on the Continental hose from Obsessed. I wish it wasn't Ford blue though. That would stand out like a sore thumb.

Neverkink is what I was trying to remember. Thank napalm

Pretty sure that's the hose we ran for years until it got a blister in it from dragging it across concrete.

Still reading a brazillion amazon reviews.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Renforced rubber, expensive and can be hard to find but that vinyl is shit for the birds, same thing applies to air hose. Keep in shade if possibal and never leave it shut in, that is with both ends closed, take it off the hydrant, take the end off or lock it open just don't let the heating water screw it up and store it in a manner that won't kink it, that becomes a weak spot.

·
Super Moderator
11,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Murphy the RMGTO Mod Dog
3,464 Posts
I have three hoses that are probably 6-8 years old. They look like the Continental hose from Home Depot, but I thought it was Gates Brand. They look almost like a hydraulic hose you would find on a backhoe. They kink on or don't fight me too much.

·
17,318 Posts
I bought a craftsman brand 'premium grade' rubber hose years ago that has worked well. Was a little pricey at the time (but got a good deal off reg price), but worth the extra $$.

·
Registered
2005 Pontiac GTO
527 Posts
My standard-grade 5/8" hoses have lasted 10-15 years, maybe longer. I drain them nearly every time I use them, unless I'm watering a section every day. I neatly coil them up on a hose reel. And I drain them every fall and store them in the shed over the winter.

·
Fake bacon lover
11,154 Posts
My standard-grade 5/8" hoses have lasted 10-15 years, maybe longer. I drain them nearly every time I use them, unless I'm watering a section every day. I neatly coil them up on a hose reel. And I drain them every fall and store them in the shed over the winter.
This

I use mid grade Home Depot shit. Nothing fancy. But I think paying attention when I roll them back up on the reel helps tremendously. As such, I don't really have any issues. YMMV

·
Registered Offender
33,876 Posts
I use commercial grade hoses that I get at home depot to run my ice machine from my hose spigot, 75 footer that's left outside 24/7/365 and even if it freezes it doesn't burst. upon a search on their website they don't sell the same hose I use anymore unfortunately. I have also went to parker hydraulics to have them fabricate me water hoses with high pressure rated 3/4'' hose before and while they were far from cheap they never busted

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
9,679 Posts
yeah some depends on your area - for us I feel UV exposure is the worst part. I've always kept them on a hose reel - mostly for my convienence not so much for the hose. but even a quality hose would have either a crack or the hose end would leak in 3 years. and the hose would be stiff. well they sit outside exposed ot sun - look at what it does your your car rubbers

Once I went to a closed box to keep the sun off. 6 years later soft pliable and still working. well 10 years later I cracked one hose with I suspect the car. So when I moved other than needing more hose I figured I would get new ones. I have one of the old ones left and it's on 12 years.

winter - drain out - hell I even leave them outside - but we don't get the 4 month white out or the 3 weeks at 20 that some of y'all get. Different issues for different areas.

·
Registered
9 Posts

I need at least 75 feet.

I need at least 75 feet.
I just buy two expandables, keep the packaging and the receipt and when they pop, just take it back to Home Depot and they replace it without any questions. It like a hose rental setup. They last anywhere from 6 months to a year. Long live Home Depot.

·
Super Moderator
11,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I bought one of those expando hoses the other day for the backyard which gets used a fraction of the amount as the front yard. So far I like it well enough. Had a shit ton of near 5 star reviews on the Amazons. Even came with a chinsy nozzle that will work for a while until it breaks then I'll put the brass one back on there.

·
Super Moderator
11,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
17,318 Posts
I bought one of those expando hoses the other day for the backyard which gets used a fraction of the amount as the front yard. So far I like it well enough. Had a shit ton of near 5 star reviews on the Amazons. Even came with a chinsy nozzle that will work for a while until it breaks then I'll put the brass one back on there.

View attachment 501202

It appears a good point of failure will be where the hose meets the brass. Doesn't seem to have a good strain relief. Maybe though when it gets firm from water pressure may not be as much of an issue.

·
Super Moderator
11,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I totally agree JNR.

The other thing I've noticed with my first foray into expando hoses is that to go easy on it you should throw it all on the ground before pressurizing it. When putting it away you should release all the pressure. It does really goofy shit that seems very hard on the hose if you don't.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts