LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got about 750 miles on my GOAT, and have noticed somewhat of a problem with the gas gauge and or tank on her. I just filled up this morning when the gas gauge was between the two red marks and the trip computer said about 29 miles remaining. I didn't want to chance anything so I stopped at the closest BP and put a full tank of Amoco Ultimate in. To my suprise the gas pump stopped at about 13 gallons. I thought to myself, this can't be right. I manually put in a little more gas and it began a slight overflow, so I knew it was full. I thought this doesn't seem right, so I closed her up, and got in and started it and the fuel gauge reads not on the F mark, but one tick to the right. This is something that happened to me before on the 2nd fill-up, but I hadn't noticed it again till today. Anyone else seen anything like this on their GOAT's? Should I alert the dealer?

Y2J

·
Comp Eliminator Goat Driver
2,345 Posts
I try to keep my GTO topped off. It seems like I am always putting gas in it, but I am not complaining. Have not seen the issue you mention. The gauge has always hits the full mark. Will keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
That happened to me once. Had less the a quarter. Filled it up and the pump stopped. I thought that it was able to hold more fuel. Once I started the car up it didn't read full. The next day I filled it up again and put little over 2 gallons in. I thought maybe it was the way the car was sitting when I was filling it up.

It only happened once so no big deal. As long as I don't run out of gas, I should be fine.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Forum,
Please look at
www.ls1.com.au
and search "fuel gauge" and you'll see a range of threads that showed fuel gauge accuracy problems with the Holden VY - concurrent production with your GTOs

Mike

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Same problem with mine, one time. Ran it for half a day, then went to the pump again to top it off and it finally registered full. Next fill up no problem. I'm beginning to think that the ECMs in these cars are running Windows ME. :eek:

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
I have had the same problem but I can squeeze an extra 2 gals when the pump stops
and the gauge shows 7/8 full

·
Registered
392 Posts
Gas Guage

Y2, So far no problem with my fuel gage. I do notice that depending on the pump nossle, its hard to fill the tank. The back pressure keeps clicking the pump off... CG

·
Registered
287 Posts
When I first got the car I filled it up and after about 20+ MI the guage was showing 3/4 full -- no problems since.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Went to fill my tank once and it stopped short of filling. The gage only read 3/4 full. All other times it filled all the way. I also think it was just the angle of the pump nossle with the backpressure kicking it off.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
I’ve had a similar problem. It’s also similar to my Camaro.

If I fill up completely and I leave the engine running, the gauge is VERY slow to react and may only get slightly past half full.

If I shut the car off, fuel up, sometimes it’ll go all the way or like Saturday after coming back from the Speed Inc open house, it’ll show 7/8ths when I fill up.

I wonder if it’s in the fuel pressure sending unit. I’ve seen those go faulty before but when they do, they usually read off the scale (like off in left or right field depending on which way the gauge sweeps to full).

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
There a big signs all over our gas stations that say turn the engine off before fueling. Obvious safety to my way of thinking. Why would you leave the engine running?
:confused:

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
It's a bad habit that I had from cars with auto arming alarms.

Gas stations also have warning that you cannot dispense fuel into an approved container without an attendant overseeing it. How often is someone at a gas station watching you personally fill up. :D

·
Registered
202 Posts
A word of warning The Commodore/ Monaro/GTO/Vauxhall or whatever there called this year, have had fuel gauge or should I say sender issues since day 1 in 1997 If they havent sorted it in 6 years my guess is you guys will have problems too. Even with the revised tank position. Commonly running out of gas with 1/4 tank still showing on the gauge. One interesting point is when they fill the tank up at the factory they actually chill the fuel to 0 deg C before they put it in and then cal everything. MMMMMMMMMM

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
It's a bad habit that I had from cars with auto arming alarms.

Gas stations also have warning that you cannot dispense fuel into an approved container without an attendant overseeing it. How often is someone at a gas station watching you personally fill up. :D
Does that mean that the GTO is an unapproved container? :sneaky:

·
Gone but not forgotten
378 Posts
Not the guage??

I've noticed this on all 4 fillups I've put in so far.

I think it is the lack of ventilation (backpressure) with the tank location. If I let the pump run until it stops, I can add between 1 1/2 and 2 gallons after it first stops. I tried on one tank to set the nozzle to the first stop to have it fill up slower, but that one still stopped about a gallon short of full. I've decided to just take my time and nurse it full in spite of the warning signs that remind us not to top off.

I guess it just gives me more time in the gas station for others to oogle the car and ask questions. :thumbs:

Diggs

1 - 16 of 16 Posts